View Poll Results: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • School grounds only.

    39 67.24%
  • Up to the time the student(s) get home.

    8 13.79%
  • Anytime, anything, anywhere.

    4 6.90%
  • Other

    7 12.07%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
Results 101 to 109 of 109

Thread: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

  1. #101
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Quote Originally Posted by Layla_Z View Post
    It's great to say parents should do their jobs. I completely agree. But what happens when they don't. The school contacts the parents and says your child is bullying another child. Here's what's going to happen at school as a consequence but you need to take steps to stop it at home. Too often the parent's reaction will be to attack and blame the school. Schools have been taking on more and more of the parent's job because too many aren't doing their job.
    I knew a set of parents just like this when my kids were in school. The principal, who was a friend of mine, told me once that whenever their kids got in trouble... which was fairly often... they would scream and yell (at the school), bring in lawyers, and so on.

    I was always me belief that the kids got in trouble often BECAUSE they knew there were no consequences from their parents. That their parents would, in fact, back them up.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #102
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's what I had always been told, going back to when I was a kid, that the school was responsible until you got home, regardless how you got home. I had always accepted it as such, and never really thought about it.

    Now, whether or not that's really true, or they were lying to keep us in line, I don't know. I was never a trouble-maker, so I never had reason to test it out and find out.
    I think the school probably assumes authority. Not at all sure about being "legally responsible." For instance, if a little boy is being beaten up every day on his way home from school by the school yard bully? I'm thinking the school could take action. As to the parent holding the school "legally responsible" for the little boy's safety? I think that's a different kettle of fish.

  3. #103
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I think the school probably assumes authority. Not at all sure about being "legally responsible." For instance, if a little boy is being beaten up every day on his way home from school by the school yard bully? I'm thinking the school could take action. As to the parent holding the school "legally responsible" for the little boy's safety? I think that's a different kettle of fish.
    Good distinction.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #104
    Professor
    Layla_Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 08:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    1,440
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I knew a set of parents just like this when my kids were in school. The principal, who was a friend of mine, told me once that whenever their kids got in trouble... which was fairly often... they would scream and yell (at the school), bring in lawyers, and so on.

    I was always me belief that the kids got in trouble often BECAUSE they knew there were no consequences from their parents. That their parents would, in fact, back them up.
    Of course that's why the got in trouble. This happens more and more often.
    ~Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.
    ~I have as much authority as the Pope, I just don't have as many people who believe it.
    ~If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?
    George Carlin

  5. #105
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Britain, Mother of Civilisation
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    468

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Every conservative here has only one thing in mind with this question: Will I get to teach my kids about my religion?

    It's pathetic. The government isn't trying to destroy your faith, it's trying to provide an education environment in which kids can learn and think freely without being harassed by anyone, physically or intellectually. That includes the home, in the 21st century.

  6. #106
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:40 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    63,959

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I knew a set of parents just like this when my kids were in school. The principal, who was a friend of mine, told me once that whenever their kids got in trouble... which was fairly often... they would scream and yell (at the school), bring in lawyers, and so on.

    I was always me belief that the kids got in trouble often BECAUSE they knew there were no consequences from their parents. That their parents would, in fact, back them up.
    I have a couple of students about to get kicked out of school because they won't follow any rules. They don't work, interrupt lessons, distract students, use cell phones and won't hand it over to teacher, etc. When I talked to the parent she said that makes sense because she does the same at home. I asked what she does about that and the parent said that she just doesn't give her any rules anymore and that she never followed them anyway. I had to shake my head because obviously the parent never instilled structure or consequences with the girl when she was younger. We are finding more and more students like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  7. #107
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Like zero tolerance rules, I'm finding anti-bullying an all or nothing proposition. Nearly once a week a child will complain they are being bullied. Once investigated, (and we have to investigate them all) it's mostly been found two kids involved in an argument but we label everything bullying now a days. There are so many kids having investigations, which takes up precious time for those who may actually be bullied. I fear real cases aren't getting reported so the system isn't working as efficiently as it should. Not to mention black and white thinking. In one particular case, a child with a diagnosis of NLD (which is a form of autism) got in house suspension when what he really needs is social skill classes because like most children with autism he lacks social skills. I tried to explain that to the administrator who promptly put in my mailbox the procedures to take for x,y and z with no kind of critical thinking skills that appeared on the sheet. I say anything off school grounds, the parents are best to decide solutions rather than relying on the schools. If they want help from the school, that's fine. They shouldn't expect the school to always knows best nor be some kind of expert authority. Until schools stop using strict protocol and start using thinking skills I may change my mind.
    Last edited by rabbitcaebannog; 04-06-14 at 10:10 PM.

  8. #108
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:11 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Like zero tolerance rules, I'm finding anti-bullying an all or nothing proposition. Nearly once a week a child will complain they are being bullied. Once investigated, (and we have to investigate them all) it's mostly been found two kids involved in an argument but we label everything bullying now a days. There are so many kids having investigations, which takes up precious time for those who may actually be bullied. I fear real cases aren't getting reported so the system isn't working as efficiently as it should. Not to mention black and white thinking. In one particular case, a child with a diagnosis of NLD (which is a form of autism) got in house suspension when what he really needs is social skill classes because like most children with autism he lacks social skills. I tried to explain that to the administrator who promptly put in my mailbox the procedures to take for x,y and z with no kind of critical thinking skills that appeared on the sheet. I say anything off school grounds, the parents are best to decide solutions rather than relying on the schools. If they want help from the school, that's fine. They shouldn't expect the school to always knows best nor be some kind of expert authority. Until schools stop using strict protocol and start using thinking skills I may change my mind.
    I tend to believe that many people in those positions treat "zero tolerance" as more of a "get it off my desk and off my back" process.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #109
    Advisor Tothian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    New Jersey, United States
    Last Seen
    06-10-17 @ 04:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    553

    Re: Where should the line be for a public school's authority over students?

    Good question.

    I believe the authority (for lack of a better word) should exist only at the school. When you give more people authority for just purposes, that same authority will be used for unjust purposes.

    I also don't support bullying, neither. So other steps should be taken to address that problem.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •