View Poll Results: So do you think the father has a legal right to see his baby born or be in the room?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he has a legal right and my opinion agrees with that.

    15 22.39%
  • Yes, he has a legal right and in my opinion he shouldnt.

    1 1.49%
  • No, he has no legal right and my opinion agrees with that.

    38 56.72%
  • No, he has no legal right and in my opinion he should.

    3 4.48%
  • Other

    7 10.45%
  • I Love Chicken Parm

    9 13.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 660

Thread: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room?

  1. #81
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    Answer mine and I'll answer yours.

    My point was that you have zero ability to prove that the mere presence of a unwanted person in the room during a delivery barring any prior indication of high blood pressure or other verifiable medical history with the mother, is nothing but sheer speculation on your part. If you have facts to the contrary, the burden is on you to provide them.
    Would you be comfortable with an ex watching you get a colonoscopy? What if you specifically stated you did not want here there, but they invited her in anyway?

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    1) See directly above your post. It's not a poll...but it's from a medical advisory board. IT's not proof - it's just a little evidence...whereas you have provided ZIP to the contrary.

    2) I am not playing this childish (I will only answer your first question if you ask my second question) game.

    If you can not even get it together enough to answer two, simple, 'yes or no' questions - then you are not worth wasting my time on this subject with.


    Good day.
    That is not evidence of anything from a commercial website. Without any reference to actual medical studies it would not count as much more than opinion. There have been studies on how stress affects pregnancy, but that is in the development of the fetus.

    If you have something scholarly to add to make your point I am willing to read it.

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Last Seen
    06-24-16 @ 03:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,073

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Would you be comfortable with an ex watching you get a colonoscopy? What if you specifically stated you did not want here there, but they invited her in anyway?
    When you say "colonoscopy" do you mean when they stick a camera up your backside, or do you mean it as a euphemism for the birth of a child that the parent wanted to be present for?

    How is colonoscopy equal to that?

  4. #84
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Giving birth is emotionally and physically exhausting, a traumatic event. It's only been in recent years where hospitals have, due to overwhelming requests by birthing mothers who wanted their husbands/SO's to support them through childbirth, that these men have even been allowed in the sterile environment of a birthing suite.

    Roll forward a decade or so, and suddenly the poor woman in the throes of labor finds herself surrounded by two sets of grandparents, both with video film rolling, a few siblings, even a niece and nephew because their parents wanted them to "witness the miracle of birth" at the poor mother-to-be's expense. She doesn't want any of this, but in between contractions can't get a word in edgewise because the damned room is wall to wall people, all laughing, giggling, having a party while she endures some of the most excruciating pain of her life.

    Does this sound farfetched? It's not. I have several friends/acquaintances who found themselves in just such a predicament during their own childbirth process. That scenario is one of the reasons that the hospitals now insist on a list approved by the mother of just who is allowed to be in the delivery room, and limits the number of people on that list.

    This man and this woman created a child together, but when it comes to carrying that child to term and expelling it through the birth canal, the woman is quite frankly on her own. After the child is born, after mother and baby have been medically examined and pronounced healthy, then the baby can and is seen by other family members, which in this case included the child's biological father.

    All this donning of hair shirts and beating of chests is based only on the desire by some that men be allowed to control every facet of the woman's child-bearing process...control being the operative word here. It is silly, particularly since the people involved were estranged and didn't even like each other, and those who make such an argument appear to have their own gender agenda going on, and the well-being of the woman in labor, and by rote the child she is birthing, are quite clearly not part of that agenda.
    The fact of the matter is that men have virturally no control at all. Men are generally made to feel that they have no rights when it comes to children. There are even some women who are now promoting the idea that men aren't even necessary for procreation itself. So let's not pretend that in the world of procreation that women are the victims because men are about to become the masters of the universe. It's not even remotely close to being true by a light year.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  5. #85
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    You want to talk nature and natural parts? Did it not take two to make the baby? Yes some women are bitches, I'd add the woman in this story to that category. I also see men's rights eroding on several counts because women have been allowed to be placed at the level of god over the fetus. She now has the power to determine what child will live and which ones will die even though she does not have the power to create a fetus on her own.
    It doesn't matter how the baby was made. The baby is inside the mother up until she/he is delivered and that means that her comfort and state of mind during the delivery is much more important than the father's selfish desire to witness the delivery.

    And I and many others disagree that this woman is a bitch for not allowing him in the room. I have been in labor twice and could not imagine having someone in the room with me that would make me uncomfortable during that time, especially someone who would serve no purpose there at all, because he certainly wasn't going to be comforting her and he can't help the doctors or nurses.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #86
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    It hasn't been all that long ago that most women gave birth at home and not uncommon to have dad right there helping in the delivery. Today it is called a "medical procedure". By the 1940's, about half of deliveries were done in the hospital. But with the increase of hospital births came the increase in complaints from fathers and mothers on the isolated delivery process. The woman was admitted, taken to a room where she was shaved, given an enema and placed in a labor room often left alone for long periods of time until ready to give birth. If anything would cause undo stress, it would be that scenario feeling completely isolated. So the policies in hospitals allowing fathers into the labor room/delivery room started changing clear back in the 40's in a big part because of how men felt about being forced to sit it out in a waiting room. I do see an ever growing erosion of men's rights when it pertains to anything to do with a pregnancy that they were a part in creating.
    And if she had given birth at her own home, then he could get charged with trespassing had he tried to enter the home without her permission for the birth. He would have no more right to see the birth at home than in the hospital.

    As for deliveries at home in the past, most men were still not in the room when midwives delivered. And men were not typically allowed in the room, it was considered a place for females.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men%27s_role_in_childbirth

    Heck, I have something from an obstetrician that says no men should be in the delivery room. (Now I don't agree with him totally, but I imagine any benefit I saw having my husband there would definitely not be present in the case of the woman in the link.)

    A top obstetrician on why men should NEVER be at the birth of their child | Mail Online

    Oh, and according to this guy, it would have been very wrong to give the baby directly to the father first since holding the baby directly after birth helps a mother relax enough to deliver the placenta. (Which actually makes a lot of since to me because I can honestly remember the pain from my first child being born but then that release that came after and the euphoria that came very soon from just holding my little one, even while I was being stitched up.)

    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandst...th-labour-baby

    Actually this is kinda funny because it suggests that men might even get a very mild form of (what sounds like to me) PTSD from watching childbirth, especially their loved one going through it.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 03-17-14 at 08:14 AM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #87
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by Del Zeppnile View Post
    When you say "colonoscopy" do you mean when they stick a camera up your backside, or do you mean it as a euphemism for the birth of a child that the parent wanted to be present for?

    How is colonoscopy equal to that?
    Birth~ The patient is exposed (both physically and emotionally), while undergoing a very personal and delicate medical procedure, and thus must be allowed the right of privacy.

    Colonoscopy~ The patient is exposed (both physically and emotionally), while undergoing a very personal and delicate medical procedure, and thus must be allowed the right of privacy.

    Get It!

  8. #88
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,903

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It doesn't matter how the baby was made. The baby is inside the mother up until she/he is delivered and that means that her comfort and state of mind during the delivery is much more important than the father's selfish desire to witness the delivery.

    And I and many others disagree that this woman is a bitch for not allowing him in the room. I have been in labor twice and could not imagine having someone in the room with me that would make me uncomfortable during that time, especially someone who would serve no purpose there at all, because he certainly wasn't going to be comforting her and he can't help the doctors or nurses.
    I know it doesn't matter to you that it took two to make the baby. And I know you don't recognize the man to have any rights in regard to pregnancy even though you do not have the capacity to create a child on your own. But I bet you expect him to pay for the next 18 years for his part in creating that child. What the guy was asking for was not unreasonable. It obviously was important to him to see his child born or he would not have taken it to court. The woman is a heartless.

  9. #89
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    I know it doesn't matter to you that it took two to make the baby. And I know you don't recognize the man to have any rights in regard to pregnancy even though you do not have the capacity to create a child on your own. But I bet you expect him to pay for the next 18 years for his part in creating that child. What the guy was asking for was not unreasonable. It obviously was important to him to see his child born or he would not have taken it to court. The woman is a heartless.
    AH....I see now. You believe he will be renting the rights in the future, and thus is entitled to forcing the landlord to do as he wishes before the contract is even signed. Very interesting interpretation you got going there.

  10. #90
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    medical necessity (including the mother's mental well being) trumps the desire of the father to see the baby being born.

    I think the judge got it wrong, it has nothing to do with privacy in my book, except so much as that privacy has to do with the mother's emotional as well as physical well being.

Page 9 of 66 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •