View Poll Results: So do you think the father has a legal right to see his baby born or be in the room?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he has a legal right and my opinion agrees with that.

    15 22.39%
  • Yes, he has a legal right and in my opinion he shouldnt.

    1 1.49%
  • No, he has no legal right and my opinion agrees with that.

    38 56.72%
  • No, he has no legal right and in my opinion he should.

    3 4.48%
  • Other

    7 10.45%
  • I Love Chicken Parm

    9 13.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 660

Thread: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room?

  1. #611
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,886

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Getting back on topic here...






    While I do sort of agree that Western Medicine can have a tendency to "overthink" childbirth - poking, prodding, cutting, drugging, and generally trying to micromanage women during the delivery process in ways that are very often unnecessary and unjustifiable - noting the importance of a relaxed environment to the birthing process really is not an example of this.

    As I pointed out to Oscar, it's simple physiology. It's also the approach to childbirth the human race has taken since time immemorial.

    In some cultures, as a matter of fact, women would even give birth entirely alone, with no one in attendance.

    I certainly don't deny that it is possible for women to give birth in highly stressful, or even blatantly hostile, environments. However, that doesn't mean that it is a good idea for either the mother or the baby to do so if it can be avoided.

    Would you want to have open heart surgery without anaesthesia simply because you theoretically could?
    Interesting take. I think it is more than just Western medicine. In general, I don't think women today could handle what our grandmothers endured. They seem to have become overly emotional and lacking reason. Maybe it is because life has become so easy that they have too much time to dwell on what ails them. Many women today beg for drugs during labor. The most frequently used narcotic medications are:
    •Morphine
    •Stadol
    •Fentanyl
    •Nubain
    •Demerol
    Using Narcotics for Pain Relief During Childbirth | APA on Narcotics
    Then they get an epidural that numbs everything from the waste down for the home stretch. Though it is wonderful how the human body provides through certain hormones to counter severe pain, the fact is many choose drugs because they can't take it. Think about it, in today's society whether you have a headache, a cramp, a pulled muscle, the doctors today push pills for pain whether it be physical or mental. The result, people have a lower threshold to pain and mentally seek happiness through a pill.

    This sorta ties into it all....did you know the number one reason for divorce is "unreasonable behavior"? Evidently people have lost their ability to deal/reason with just about anything.
    Unreasonable behaviour

    If it were not for all the other injustices against males when it comes to father's rights, I might look at this differently. But because they exist, I find the idea that a woman can deny her husband the right to witness the birth to be very unfair/unjust. But she definitely holds all the cards. No wonder men have become so reluctant to commit to relationships.
    Last edited by vesper; 03-19-14 at 11:11 PM.

  2. #612
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,276

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Since when is it unrealistic to expect women to be responsible for their bodies from pregnancy and disease? Her feckless behavior is costing all of us in increased entitlements. I bet you expect daddy to pay for the next 18 years whether he wanted the kid or not.
    It takes to fecklers to increase disease and pregnancies and entitlements.

    Perhaps I missed the flow of the thread, but it seems as if you ignore both fecklers.

  3. #613
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,886

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by year2late View Post
    It takes to fecklers to increase disease and pregnancies and entitlements.

    Perhaps I missed the flow of the thread, but it seems as if you ignore both fecklers.
    Yes year2late it takes two. The conversation at the time is why women are so willing to go into a sexual relationship and not protect herself as if to count on the other to do so when she is the one that will carry the child, experience labor etc.

  4. #614
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,276

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Do you not agree that it is ultimately the woman who decides whether or not sex takes place...other than if she is raped? It seems from the comments on here that it is a generally accepted fact. Men don't usually say no to sex, IOW. If a woman wants to be sexually active, she'd be wise to take her birth control pills to protect against pregnancy, and insist on the male using a condom to help protect against STD. If she doesn't, she's only hurting herself. Now you may not agree with my thinking, and that's okay because I understand your argument that both are responsible, and you are correct, but that's a crapshoot I wouldn't personally be willing to risk the rest of my life on.
    I always thought sex to be a mutually agreed upon activity.

    By the way, men can be raped.

    Against his will: The reality of male rape - CNN.com

  5. #615
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Interesting take. I think it is more than just Western medicine. In general, I don't think women today could handle what our grandmothers endured. They seem to have become overly emotional and lacking reason. Maybe it is because life has become so easy that they have too much time to dwell on what ails them. Many women today beg for drugs during labor. The most frequently used narcotic medications are:
    •Morphine
    •Stadol
    •Fentanyl
    •Nubain
    •Demerol
    Using Narcotics for Pain Relief During Childbirth | APA on Narcotics
    Then they get an epidural that numbs everything from the waste down for the home stretch. Though it is wonderful how the human body provides through certain hormones to counter severe pain, the fact is many choose drugs because they can't take it. Think about it, in today's society whether you have a headache, a cramp, a pulled muscle, the doctors today push pills for pain whether it be physical or mental. The result, people have a lower threshold to pain and mentally seek happiness through a pill.

    This sorta ties into it all....did you know the number one reason for divorce is "unreasonable behavior"? Evidently people have lost their ability to deal/reason with just about anything.
    Unreasonable behaviour

    If it were not for all the other injustices against males when it comes to father's rights, I might look at this differently. But because they exist, I find the idea that a woman can deny her husband the right to witness the birth to be very unfair/unjust. But she definitely holds all the cards. No wonder men have become so reluctant to commit to relationships.
    True. Honestly though, I think a lot of this has to do with the way our culture views childbirth in the first place.

    As I think I noted in the other thread, it generally looks like something out a horror movie when shown in movies and on television. The sterile and oppressive nature of the "classic" hospital environment doesn't do much of anything to help in this regard either.

    Is it any wonder so many women are terrified of it?

    I think a lot of women go into labor expecting to have a terrible experience, and it simply becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy from there.

    Thankfully, this is gradually changing in a lot of ways as hospitals change their methods to adapt to the emotional needs of laboring women, as well as their medical needs. However, much of the old stigma still remains for the time being.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 03-19-14 at 11:44 PM.

  6. #616
    Sage



    Join Date
    May 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,276

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Yes year2late it takes two. The conversation at the time is why women are so willing to go into a sexual relationship and not protect herself as if to count on the other to do so when she is the one that will carry the child, experience labor etc.
    The man may not be the one carrying it, but the man is clearly responsible for the child. He is also responsible for the diseases he may get or transmit. So I am totally missing your point. Yes, the woman has 9 months of additional responsibility, but the rest is (should be) mutual.

  7. #617
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,886

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    True. Honestly though, I think a lot of this has to do with the way our culture views childbirth in the first place.

    As I think I noted in the other thread, it generally looks like something out a horror movie when shown in movies and on television. The sterile and oppressive nature of the "classic" hospital environment doesn't do much of anything to help in this regard either.

    Is it any wonder so many women are terrified of it?

    I think a lot of women go into labor expecting to have a terrible experience, and it simply becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy from there.

    Thankfully, this is gradually changing in a lot ways as hospitals change their methods to adapt to the emotional needs of laboring women, as well as their medical needs. However, much of the old stigma still remains for the time being.
    Once upon a time you were admitted, taken to a room, your muff was shaved then you were given a friggen enema. You want to talk about stress? Labor pains and having to run to the friggen toilet ever 10 minutes. You want to talk some more stress? Then they rolled you into a closet size room, left you there to go through the process of dilating every so often coming in to check your blood pressure and no one was allowed back there with you. In pain, scared and alone, that's stress!

  8. #618
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by vesper View Post
    Once upon a time you were admitted, taken to a room, your muff was shaved then you were given a friggen enema. You want to talk about stress? Labor pains and having to run to the friggen toilet ever 10 minutes. You want to talk some more stress? Then they rolled you into a closet size room, left you there to go through the process of dilating every so often coming in to check your blood pressure and no one was allowed back there with you. In pain, scared and alone, that's stress!
    Yeesh. Screw that.

    Frankly, even before that period in medical history, I heard they were putting women under for the delivery, just like they would a surgery. God only knows what kind of surgical procedures they'd unilaterally elect to perform after they basically had a woman at their mercy like that, of course.

    It's good that all of this has changed, and continues to change even today.

  9. #619
    Sage

    vesper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    13,886

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Yeesh. Screw that.

    Frankly, even before that period in medical history, I heard they were putting women under for the delivery, just like they would a surgery. God only knows what kind of surgical procedures they'd unilaterally elect to perform after they basically had a woman at their mercy like that, of course.

    It's good that all of this has changed, and continues to change even today.
    Yes it is. I'm thankful I didn't have to do it alone.

  10. #620
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Do you think fathers have a legal right to see thier child born or be in the room

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    http://www.ajc.com/news/news/national/judge-says-pregnant-women-can-bar-fathers-delivery/nfCPd/



    So do you think the father has a legal right to see his baby born or be in the room?


    Yes, he has a legal right and my opinion agrees with that.
    Yes, he has a legal right and in my opinion he shouldn't.
    No, he has no legal right and my opinion agrees with that.
    No, he has no legal right and in my opinion he should.
    Other
    I Love Chicken Parm


    Attachment 67163448


    Well he does not nor do i think he should.

    Dont get me wrong, i see why and how this could be emotional and i understand how it can be perceived as mean or sad but the bottom line is its the women going through a medical issue. She gets to control the room and her privacy, if she doesnt want somebody in the room, even the father thats her right.
    Yes he has that right, and like all rights it has limitations such as being subordinate to the doctor's and mother's wish. If neither of those two people object, then the father has a right to assert against the wishes of others.

Page 62 of 66 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •