View Poll Results: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Legalize

    40 90.91%
  • Ban

    4 9.09%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 63

Thread: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

  1. #51
    Left the building
    Fearandloathing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada Dual citizen
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    18,485

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Binary_Digit View Post
    I don't have time to lookup a link, but one of the documented side effects of Marinol that smoked MJ doesn't have is skin rashes.

    Then there's the fact that Marinol pills are prescribed to patients who suffer from nausea and have a hard time keeping anything down, much less the very pills intended to help the nausea. Marinol pills are counter-intuitive for chemo patients.
    Well, you don't have time to look up a link, but do have time to post...

    Mild skin rashes are very well documented in cases of people using it as a topical in the treatment of much more serious ailments like skin cancer. The rash is easily treated with moisturizer.

    The case of Marinol is specific to one type of delivery system and should be dealt with separately. When a cancer patient is so far gone they can't keep pills down, the fault is not usually with the pill and its contents, but the body failing.
    ""You know, when we sell to other countries, even if they're allies -- you never know about an ally. An ally can turn."
    Donald Trump, 11/23/17

  2. #52
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Well, you don't have time to look up a link, but do have time to post...
    Here's the Institute of Medicine:

    There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs.

    Whereas the stepping stone hypothesis presumes a predominantly physiological component of drug progression, the gateway theory is a social theory. The latter does not suggest that the pharmacological qualities of marijuana make it a risk factor for progression to other drug use. Instead, the legal status of marijuana makes it a gateway drug.

    Here's the American Medical Association:

    Analysis of trends in emergency room visits for marijuana do not support the view that state authorization for medical cannabis use leads to increased signals of substance misuse.

    (i.e. Medical marijuana use has not been shown to increase the number of people who abuse drugs, effectively debunking the "gateway drug" myth.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    Mild skin rashes are very well documented in cases of people using it as a topical in the treatment of much more serious ailments like skin cancer.
    No, not topical. I'm talking about the Marinol pill that is swallowed.

    Marinol oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    The rash is easily treated with moisturizer.
    No, the rash is a serious allergic reaction that is treated by no longer taking Marinol pills.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fearandloathing View Post
    When a cancer patient is so far gone they can't keep pills down, the fault is not usually with the pill and its contents, but the body failing.
    Chemotherapy causes the nausea. Not cancer. Regardless, the point still stands. You don't treat nausea by giving pills to people who can't even keep food down, much less pills. That's just plain dumb. Especially when the only reason to push the pills is a misguided phobia about smoked marijuana in medicine.

  3. #53
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Oops, double post!

  4. #54
    Guru

    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    12-12-17 @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    3,899

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    No, there are a lot of good reasons to legalize it. We stop spending so much money on arresting, prosecuting, and jailing non-violent marijuana users, for one; it will likely reduce violence and crime related to the drug trade; we'll also reap the tax benefits. It's a win on multiple levels.
    I could support decriminalizing personal possession on a county by county level via making enforcement optional, but not legalized sales etc as drug culture based tourism will bring a certain number of unproductive tourists who forget to go home.

  5. #55
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Your poll refers to marijuana only, not all recreational drug use, but your arguments are not marijuana specific. By not legalizing all recreational drug use most (if not all) of your arguments fail.
    I wouldn't say they fail, in an absolute sense, but I would say that the benefits wouldn't be as far reaching as we think they'd be.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #56
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by digsbe View Post
    Keep it illegal, there is no rational reason to bring a schedule I substance down to OTC for the purpose of abusing it to get high. We need more substance restriction, not less. We have a public health crisis, allowing for the legal use of marijuana to get a high will likely only make things worse. We already have alcohol and tobacco and that's bad enough.
    Marijuana is classified as a Schedule I substance for political reasons, not rational health and/or safety concerns.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  7. #57
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,435

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda1858 View Post
    Marijuana is often a "gateway" drug to the harder stuff. For that reason alone it shouldn't be legalized.
    What is the "gateway" to marijuana? Maybe we should make that illegal as well. We should go back all the way to the root "gateway" substance.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    26,362

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda1858 View Post
    Marijuana is often a "gateway" drug to the harder stuff. For that reason alone it shouldn't be legalized.
    It's a gateway because it is illegal. You go to the dealer you buy your weed from, they're out, but they don't want you to go away, so they sell you something harder; they sell you on something else because they sell that as well; they lace it with the weed, ect.

    Legal marijuana is not a gateway.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Legalize it so I can buy stock in White Castle and Frito-Lay before the eventual soar.

  10. #60
    Guru
    Binary_Digit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Last Seen
    12-02-17 @ 04:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,539

    Re: Marijuana: Legalize or Ban?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What is the "gateway" to marijuana? Maybe we should make that illegal as well. We should go back all the way to the root "gateway" substance.
    Mother's milk - the other gateway drug!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •