View Poll Results: What do you think of E-Cigs

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're a public nuisance.

    4 11.43%
  • They should be outlawed.

    0 0%
  • They should be regulated heavier.

    5 14.29%
  • E-cig's, no big deal.

    22 62.86%
  • Only for tobacco replacement.

    1 2.86%
  • My choice isn't here.

    3 8.57%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 67

Thread: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

  1. #51
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    E-cigs are already saving 1000's of lives by getting people off smoking. As far as new users they are less likely to attract young users than the real thing so until they ban real cigs, I'de say it is a non-issue.
    I got to talk to some of the guys at a local shop, there are some kids getting into it because they think it's cool, but they already cannot get any level of nicotine according to state and federal law and they wouldn't sell any level to them anyway so unless a shop is violating that law at least it's not the most harmful thing they can get into, and really all they are doing is using a vaporizer to inhale a flavor mix. Now, if shops are going around the nicotine bans, bust them. I don't think it will encourage smoking, but that's my opinion.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #52
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    Lifestock?
    No, I mean like cattle processing, nothing like a Midwestern cut of beef, and some of the best stuff comes right out of the stockyards and slaughterhouses of Chicago.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #53
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I'm sure it's both. Big tobacco hasn't gotten into the vaporizer business, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than smoking.
    Actually, some companies are getting in on the action.

    Blu Cigs acquired by Major Cigarette Manufacturer
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  4. #54
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Well I know for sure that one of my co-workers uses an e-cig of some sort, and I have yet to be bothered by the smoke as I was with cigarettes.
    I switched from the blu line to a vaporizer and have been very happy with it. The juice based vaporizers do give off a scent, but if I vaporize peach, you smell peach and not smoke, the Blu line didn't have a noticeable odor but flavors were limited as were my options for nicotine levels and it was much more expensive than the vaporizers when you factor the cost of a pack of refills, the limited time those lasted, etc.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  5. #55
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    No, I mean like cattle processing, nothing like a Midwestern cut of beef, and some of the best stuff comes right out of the stockyards and slaughterhouses of Chicago.
    Unless you know something I don't know, LMR, there aren't any stockyards anymore. Used to be though.

  6. #56
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    They are less harmfull then cigarettes when comparing similar levels of nicotine absorbed into the body. However, I think it is important that we do not encourage people that vaping is completely harmless. Nicotine still has long term health effects. As a way to quit smoking, it is great! But I think many companies are now promoting it as an alternative to smoking rather than a cure. The false idea being thrown around that it is harmless may encourage people to ingest even more nicotine then they would if they were a smoker. Someone ingesting large amounts of nicotine have a good probablility of having health issues later on. Large amounts of nicotine ingested by someone can cause cancer in some people. This needs to be known and people need to be educated on the effects of nicotine on the body.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  7. #57
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    They are less harmfull then cigarettes when comparing similar levels of nicotine absorbed into the body. However, I think it is important that we do not encourage people that vaping is completely harmless. Nicotine still has long term health effects. As a way to quit smoking, it is great! But I think many companies are now promoting it as an alternative to smoking rather than a cure. The false idea being thrown around that it is harmless may encourage people to ingest even more nicotine then they would if they were a smoker. Someone ingesting large amounts of nicotine have a good probablility of having health issues later on. Large amounts of nicotine ingested by someone can cause cancer in some people. This needs to be known and people need to be educated on the effects of nicotine on the body.
    This is my biggest problem with the objectors and even the cautioners -- they throw around words like "may" and "probability" as if they meant something despite the complete absence of data to describe just what that probability is.

    I'm not saying vaporizers are 100% safe. I'm just getting fed up with people acting like they have data they don't have.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  8. #58
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    This is my biggest problem with the objectors and even the cautioners -- they throw around words like "may" and "probability" as if they meant something despite the complete absence of data to describe just what that probability is.

    I'm not saying vaporizers are 100% safe. I'm just getting fed up with people acting like they have data they don't have.
    Data? Its chemistry and medical science. It is known that nicotine can cause cancer in some people. I think it is important that people know that. Now if they accept that risk and continue vapeing, I have no problem with that. Companies of any product should have to educate people on the potential health risks of using their product. I know that alcohol could cause liver disease among other things. I accept that risk and still consume alcohol. Because I am educated in the potential health effects of consuming alcohol, I moderate my drinking.

    Research into the effects of any drugs effect on the human body should be free and open to be researched and the use, criticized and regulated , if it can cause harm to people. Especially drugs that are addictive!
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

  9. #59
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by Capster78 View Post
    Data? Its chemistry and medical science. It is known that nicotine can cause cancer in some people. I think it is important that people know that. Now if they accept that risk and continue vapeing, I have no problem with that. Companies of any product should have to educate people on the potential health risks of using their product. I know that alcohol could cause liver disease among other things. I accept that risk and still consume alcohol. Because I am educated in the potential health effects of consuming alcohol, I moderate my drinking.

    Research into the effects of any drugs effect on the human body should be free and open to be researched and the use, criticized and regulated , if it can cause harm to people. Especially drugs that are addictive!
    I'm a big believer in research and data and peer review. That's why I did a lot of reading before I switched from smoking to using a vaporizer -- I wanted to be sure I wasn't exchanging one death sentence for another, and I wanted to know what (if any) impact there'd be if I did it around my kids. I've always smoked outdoors, and I needed to know whether or not that would change if that I switched (it didn't).

    In all my preparatory reading, in every alarmist article written by haters, in every thread I've seen on this board -- and hell, in every warning I've read on the subject of smoking -- the cancer risk of nicotine was never mentioned. So with all due respect, I'm not about to take your word for it.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  10. #60
    Professor
    Capster78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    08-24-15 @ 02:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    2,253

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    I'm a big believer in research and data and peer review. That's why I did a lot of reading before I switched from smoking to using a vaporizer -- I wanted to be sure I wasn't exchanging one death sentence for another, and I wanted to know what (if any) impact there'd be if I did it around my kids. I've always smoked outdoors, and I needed to know whether or not that would change if that I switched (it didn't).

    In all my preparatory reading, in every alarmist article written by haters, in every thread I've seen on this board -- and hell, in every warning I've read on the subject of smoking -- the cancer risk of nicotine was never mentioned. So with all due respect, I'm not about to take your word for it.
    I am not a hater, if people want to vape, I could care less. I think you are just reading articles that mold to your beliefs and your beliefs are largely effected and exaggurated by the ones that don't. I suspect you believe that people are trying to take away something you enjoy doing, and your reaction to it is to backlash against it. I would be very interested in an article that states that nicotine has absolutely no effect on the human body and is completely benign. I would hold such articles very suspicious because I do not know any known chemicals that have absolutely no effect on the human body if over consumed.
    - There was never a good war, or a bad peace.
    - Idealistically, everything should work as you planed it to. Realistically, it depends on how idealistic you are as to the measure of success.
    - Better to be a pessimist before, and an optimist afterwords.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •