View Poll Results: What do you think of E-Cigs

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • They're a public nuisance.

    4 11.43%
  • They should be outlawed.

    0 0%
  • They should be regulated heavier.

    5 14.29%
  • E-cig's, no big deal.

    22 62.86%
  • Only for tobacco replacement.

    1 2.86%
  • My choice isn't here.

    3 8.57%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 67

Thread: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

  1. #41
    Sage
    Ikari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    54,124

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    If the health of the population is not the govt. business then what is? It seems to me there is no country without people.
    The freedom and liberty of the People, that is the charge of government. They must protect and proliferate it. It's the number 1 reason to have government in the first place.
    You know the time is right to take control, we gotta take offense against the status quo

    Quote Originally Posted by A. de Tocqueville
    "I should have loved freedom, I believe, at all times, but in the time in which we live I am ready to worship it."

  2. #42
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,387

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    The FDA didn't want to allow them. The FDA initially caused large shipments of vaporizers and associated to be held up in customs because they classified them as unapproved medical devices. It was only after they lost in Federal court for failing to prove harm that they were forced to "allow" their importation and sale.
    The FDA has been granted complete control of the drug nicotine. They could stop the sale of "juice" containing nicotine without any trouble. They are not. They are also easing regulations on nicotine gum and patches because there is nothing worse for your health than smoking real cigarettes.

  3. #43
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    The FDA has been granted complete control of the drug nicotine. They could stop the sale of "juice" containing nicotine without any trouble. They are not. They are also easing regulations on nicotine gum and patches because there is nothing worse for your health than smoking real cigarettes.
    The court battle, and the FDA's attempt to ban the importation of vaporizers, went down prior to the enactment of The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act of 2009. Additionally, the FDA has been told by the courts that they must differentiate between "drugs" and "tobacco products." Additionally, TFSPTCA 2009 does not give the FDA "complete control." They can theoretically regulate, insist on labeling, and ban marketing ... and then 3 years passed.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #44
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    Of course not. E-cigs save lives and that is why the FDA is allowing them. Cities that ban them are bowing to pressure from big tobacco and loss of tax money.
    Big tobacco, or do-gooder anti-smoking groups?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #45
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Big tobacco, or do-gooder anti-smoking groups?
    I'm sure it's both. Big tobacco hasn't gotten into the vaporizer business, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than smoking.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  6. #46
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,387

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Big tobacco, or do-gooder anti-smoking groups?
    Actually it is probably "independent" groups. Tabacco companies would be open to 1000's of lawsuits if their action caused millions of people to start smoking again.

  7. #47
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,752

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Do they carry the same risks to OTHERS that second-hand smoke does? If not, they shouldn't be banned from public use.

    That was the whole rationale behind banning real cigarettes in public... harm to others. No harm, no foul.
    Well I know for sure that one of my co-workers uses an e-cig of some sort, and I have yet to be bothered by the smoke as I was with cigarettes.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #48
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    E-cigs probably greatly reduce the risk of cancer and emphysema compared to cigarettes because smoke and tar are eliminated. But the risk of vascular disease - stroke and heart attack - probably comes in large part from the nicotine, which E-cigs deliver. However, how that risk compares to the risk of those diseases with cigarette smoking isn't known. Cigarette smoke contains >4000 different chemicals, and how they all contribute to the effects of cigarette smoking isn't known. How nicotine acts if it's give by itself to humans isn't clear, but in animals it does cause vascular disease.

    If we see a spike up in stroke and heart attack in the community in about 30 years we'll have our answer.
    I have read that the cardiovascular effects of nicotine aren't a problem with a healthy system, if one is prone to cardiovascular disease though it's a definite negative, but then again so is caffeine. The idea behind kids doing the no nicotine route just to "look cool" is kind of dumb IMO but the worst parts of a cigarette go away with the e-cigs and that would be the smoke, tar, and other carcinogens and chemicals. With a lot of the vapor shops opening up though and most offering juice only, no nicotine flavors it's getting to the point where people can get the habit accommodated while weaning themselves off of the addictive substance. I'm all for these things, I think they are a great invention.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #49
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    As if most of us needed more.
    It's really a shame the way the city is run politically. A lot of great people with the traditional hard working mid-western attitude, lots of resources and one of the best livestock systems in place.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #50
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: E-cigarettes: fresh air or smoke and mirrors?

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    It's really a shame the way the city is run politically. A lot of great people with the traditional hard working mid-western attitude, lots of resources and one of the best livestock systems in place.
    Lifestock?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •