View Poll Results: Should We get Rid of Daylight Saving Time Program?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aye

    35 85.37%
  • Nay

    6 14.63%
  • No Time to lose!

    0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    Daylight Saving Time: Why Do We Adjust Clocks in March?

    On Sunday (March 9), most Americans will lose a precious hour of their weekend to daylight saving time. Except for those who live in Arizona and Hawaii, adjusting clocks forward an hour in March and back an hour in November is a time-honored ritual, but why do we bother to "fall back" and "spring forward?"

    Benjamin Franklin first came up with the idea to reset clocks in the summer to conserve energy and take advantage of extra daylight in the evenings. The official practice, however, did not begin until more than a century later.

    After the war, U.S. states were given the choice of whether they wanted to stick with daylight saving time. But, this free-for-all system, in which many neighboring towns were operating on different time zones, resulted in mass confusion and bewilderment.

    In 1966, Congress enacted the Uniform Time Act to establish some order. The federal law stated that if states chose to observe daylight saving time, they must follow a uniform protocol: daylight saving time would begin on the first Sunday of April and end on the last Sunday of October.

    In 2007, the Energy Policy Act of 2005 went into effect, which extended daylight saving time in the United States. Daylight saving time now begins on the second Sunday in March and ends on the first Sunday in November.....snip~

    Daylight Saving Time: Why Do We Adjust Clocks in March?


    See there, not all ideas Ben Franklin came up with.....were good ideas. Just sayin!

  2. #22
    Sage
    Crosscheck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    Tenessee Ernie Ford said it best: Daylight Savings Time is like cutting a foot off the top of the curtain and sewing it to the bottom to make it longer.

    Amazing how millions of us are willing to put up with this ancient ritual. We are so trainable except when it comes to the metric system.

  3. #23
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    It's here again.....Daylight Saving Time. Lose an hour of sleep. Do we need this programming anymore? Hasn't the Internet made up for that business sector?

    There is even a movement to try and put an end to this. Time never changed so who are we to think we can change time. Leave time alone.....in the end time always wins.

    So what say ye.....Should we Get Rid of this outdated Daylight Saving Time Program?


    I'm a fan. Lived in Japan for a couple years and they don't do it. It was annoying to be woken up at 5:30 am or earlier by the sun.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    So what say ye.....Should we Get Rid of this outdated Daylight Saving Time Program?
    Yep. Get rid of it ASAP. Can't stand it.

  5. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crosscheck View Post
    Tenessee Ernie Ford said it best: Daylight Savings Time is like cutting a foot off the top of the curtain and sewing it to the bottom to make it longer.

    Amazing how millions of us are willing to put up with this ancient ritual. We are so trainable except when it comes to the metric system.


    Well that, and on the issue of spending money.

  6. #26
    Educator

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    05-09-16 @ 08:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,052

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    Quote Originally Posted by Amanda1858 View Post
    I would want it to stay light later in the evening.
    The biggest advantage in getting light early is the heat. At 5am it's gonna be somewhere around 75 and from noon on around 100 or more.
    I confess, I did it, I let the dogs out.

  7. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    So hows that time change feel today.....noticing the differences if any?

    5 Ways the Time Change May Affect Your Health



    But while researchers have looked at a number of health trends surrounding the first day of daylight saving time -- including apparent upticks in accidents, heart attacks and suicides --** itís unclear whether the adjusted clock setting is itself responsible for these health issues.

    With that in mind, here are five health issues that studies have connected with the loss of an hour that day.

    Traffic accidents
    Workplace accidents
    Sleep loss
    Heart attacks
    Suicide

    5 Ways the Time Change May Affect Your Health | Daylight Savings Time | DST | LiveScience

  8. #28
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    Pick one way, and stick with it. I don't care which, just do it!
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  9. #29

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    I enjoy the extra hour of daylight in the evening.

  10. #30
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,357

    Re: Should We Get Rid of Daylight Saving Time?

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    So hows that time change feel today.....noticing the differences if any?

    5 Ways the Time Change May Affect Your Health



    But while researchers have looked at a number of health trends surrounding the first day of daylight saving time -- including apparent upticks in accidents, heart attacks and suicides --** itís unclear whether the adjusted clock setting is itself responsible for these health issues.

    With that in mind, here are five health issues that studies have connected with the loss of an hour that day.

    Traffic accidents
    Workplace accidents
    Sleep loss
    Heart attacks
    Suicide

    5 Ways the Time Change May Affect Your Health | Daylight Savings Time | DST | LiveScience
    Since I didn't notice much change in the way the great outdoors looked when I got up this morning, and since I didn't notice any change in the way I felt, I guess I can live with Daylight Savings Time again this year. Arizona and Hawaii have the right idea, though. They stay on Standard Time year round, which seems simpler, especially for those companies that pay their workers by the hour.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •