Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 104

Thread: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No I'm not, but if you are trying to put forward the notion that gender has nothing to do with parenting, then I disagree with you in the strongest terms.
    Anyone even slightly aware of the subject should know that men and women do not raise children the same. The whole idea that gender doesn't matter to parenting is like this weird exception where gender differences plays no part at all. It's not only obviously wrong, but clearly pushed forward for political reasons.

    Off topic, but is anyone else noticing the top bar in the your message window is missing?

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I'm from an area smaller and more rural than yours. It is still abnormally violent, but not to the widespread degree as the 70s.


    FBI stats do not indicate a rise in crime since the 70s nationwide, but a definite and substantial drop. Have a look.
    Well, my response is that there was a reason Giuliani came to power. As far as I can tell it was because people felt crime was getting out of hand. So maybe different areas experience things different ways.

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Anyone even slightly aware of the subject should know that men and women do not raise children the same. The whole idea that gender doesn't matter to parenting is like this weird exception where gender differences plays no part at all. It's not only obviously wrong, but clearly pushed forward for political reasons.
    Yeah, I think this stuff stems from an effort, by some, to create this genderless society. It's not going to happen.

  4. #64
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Well, my response is that there was a reason Giuliani came to power. As far as I can tell it was because people felt crime was getting out of hand. So maybe different areas experience things different ways.

    NYC had a crime problem when Giuliani came to power, yes. Still, nationwide violent crime has been down a great deal since the 70s, per FBI stats. Individual areas may vary.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  5. #65
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    No I'm not, but if you are trying to put forward the notion that gender has nothing to do with parenting, then I disagree with you in the strongest terms.


    And I say to you, that part of what they bring has to do with their gender. My mother used to put me on her lap, hug, kiss and comfort me in a way that ONLY A MOTHER COULD. MY FATHER JUST COULD NOT DO IT LIKE THAT.

    My mother was very, very beautiful. But she was a tomboy when she was young, but I can remember her throwing the football with me. But she couldn't do it like my father, who had played football in college and coached football. And especially as I got older and much stronger, my mother just couldn't do it. My father could. She could not run with me. My father could. My father would take me to football games, he knew the coaches, many of the former players, he introduced me around. My mother just didn't have those kinds of relationships to do those types of things.



    And I guarantee you are wrong. It was a vital part. That's not to say that my mother could not have done a good job raising me without my father, but it would have been substantially different. I guarantee it.



    Good for you. I turned out the way I dd because I had a strong FEMALE mother and a strong MALE father.
    You cannot prove that only a mother could kiss and comfort you a certain way or only a father could provide a certain type of guidance for you. That is not how things work. Every person is different in this world, and our personalities are not based on our genders.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #66
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Anyone even slightly aware of the subject should know that men and women do not raise children the same. The whole idea that gender doesn't matter to parenting is like this weird exception where gender differences plays no part at all. It's not only obviously wrong, but clearly pushed forward for political reasons.

    Off topic, but is anyone else noticing the top bar in the your message window is missing?
    And children should not all be raised the same anyway. Personally I like a lot of diversity in our world.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    NYC had a crime problem when Giuliani came to power, yes. Still, nationwide violent crime has been down a great deal since the 70s, per FBI stats. Individual areas may vary.
    Fair enough. I'm not going to get into researching it. I know for sure, I stopped doing that whole club thing because it seemed to me like people were getting more and more prone to violence. Actually you don't even have to be going out anymore. A little while ago, two guys started shooting at each other at a community college out here in the suburban area where I live. Really didn't expect something like that to happen there.

  8. #68
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You cannot prove that only a mother could kiss and comfort you a certain way or only a father could provide a certain type of guidance for you. That is not how things work. Every person is different in this world, and our personalities are not based on our genders.


    The bell curve... there are less and less common extremes on both ends, but the bulk place somewhere in the middle.

    Our personalities are not utterly dependent on gender no... but they are most assuredly affected by gender, not only culturally but also biologically and by hormonal effects on the brain and body.

    There are exceptions, but on the whole the majority of men and women are different, and approach parenting in different ways.





    There's a reason why almost everyone knows what this means, and most laugh...



    Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure-momsees-jpg

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #69
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,159

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Fair enough. I'm not going to get into researching it. I know for sure, I stopped doing that whole club thing because it seemed to me like people were getting more and more prone to violence. Actually you don't even have to be going out anymore. A little while ago, two guys started shooting at each other at a community college out here in the suburban area where I live. Really didn't expect something like that to happen there.

    You could easily be experiencing a *local* upswing in violence, regardless of national trends... or there could be a national upswing in progress that hasn't gone on long enough yet to show in statistics. Who knows.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You cannot prove that only a mother could kiss and comfort you a certain way or only a father could provide a certain type of guidance for you.
    And you can't prove that my father could do it like my mother, because you are not me.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    That is not how things work.
    You can try to pontificate as if you know how things work, and I need you to tell me how they do. But if you think you are going to make a genderless society, you are living in fantasy land.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Every person is different in this world, and our personalities are not based on our genders.
    Yep, every person is different in this world. And a person's gender has a large effect on their behavior and their personality.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •