Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 104

Thread: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

  1. #51
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,357

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I'm going to buck the trend here and say No, there is NOT more violence today than there was in, say the 1970s and early 80s. Not in general.

    I grew up in that period. Teenage boys and young men fought CONSTANTLY. At least, in my area they did. By the time I was 18 I couldn't count how many fights I'd been in, and I'd seen people knifed, and been on the wrong end of a couple pistols in the hands of hostile persons.

    Today, by contrast, real fights among young males seem relatively rare.

    Now there IS a difference...

    Back then, we still had some remnants of the Code Duello and old-school honor. Generally you faced your enemy and let him know you were coming for him; sucker punching was frowned on. Sometimes weapons were involved, but there was a reluctance to kill... knives were usually used to cut not stab, and guns were usually pointed and not fired. One-on-one was the rule, gang beatdowns were mostly frowned on.

    When I say "frowned on" I mean other guys might take it out of your hide.

    These days, it seems that violence is more rare but more explosive, and that ambush attacks, multiple attackers and weapons are more typical, and that the reluctance to kill that I'd mentioned has faded.

    But statistically, violence in the US is down from a high in the 70s. The 24/7 news hype makes it seem worse than it really is.
    Good morning, Goshin.

    Great post! "Ganging up" on one person is cowardly! In the past, if you had a beef with someone, you handled it one on one. Women might have catfights, but it's usually of the verbal kind, and everyone doesn't usually jump in, unless it becomes physical, then you try to separate them. To attack someone from behind has always been wrong and gutless, and shows what kind of loser you are. And now it's considered "fun" by some to attack and hurt or kill a stranger? WTH is wrong with these people?

  2. #52
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    Would you care to elaborate more on that?
    A combination of factors, but not all of them applicable to all these kids who pull this crap.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  3. #53
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Additionally, I think that one part of a child's development involves watching it's parents/guardians interact with each other. This would obviously not happen as much as much if only one parent is involved.
    That isn't a necessary part though. That can be learned from other places. Although it may be a good thing to have, even important for them to learn somehow, if it were absolutely necessary then those who came from single parent homes (being single parents for whatever reason) would never be able to develop healthy relationships with others, interact well with others that they are in relationships with or want to be in relationships with.

    I hate the "all or nothing" stance many want to take when it comes to what is best for raising children. Children, people are not all alike. Even children do not all need the exact same things when it comes to how they are raised.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #54
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    From what I've seen it REALLY is important for boys to have a male role model in their life, father or not. There's a certain point where they start establishing their gender identity and REALLY need that positive male role model to show them the way.

    But I'll grant that no father might be better than some of the crappy fathers I've seen in recent years...
    I agree that all children need some role models in their lives of both sexes/genders, just not that those have to be parents. Many boys raised by only women (whether just their mothers or their mothers and female relatives or even two mothers) grow into very well adjusted men, who are very much male.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    A combination of factors, but not all of them applicable to all these kids who pull this crap.
    Ok. I'll leave it at that then.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I'm going to buck the trend here and say No, there is NOT more violence today than there was in, say the 1970s and early 80s. Not in general.

    I grew up in that period. Teenage boys and young men fought CONSTANTLY. At least, in my area they did. By the time I was 18 I couldn't count how many fights I'd been in, and I'd seen people knifed, and been on the wrong end of a couple pistols in the hands of hostile persons.

    Today, by contrast, real fights among young males seem relatively rare.

    Now there IS a difference...

    Back then, we still had some remnants of the Code Duello and old-school honor. Generally you faced your enemy and let him know you were coming for him; sucker punching was frowned on. Sometimes weapons were involved, but there was a reluctance to kill... knives were usually used to cut not stab, and guns were usually pointed and not fired. One-on-one was the rule, gang beatdowns were mostly frowned on.

    When I say "frowned on" I mean other guys might take it out of your hide.

    These days, it seems that violence is more rare but more explosive, and that ambush attacks, multiple attackers and weapons are more typical, and that the reluctance to kill that I'd mentioned has faded.

    But statistically, violence in the US is down from a high in the 70s. The 24/7 news hype makes it seem worse than it really is.
    I don't know about that. Of course I was from a small city of around 50,000 people, but still. The type of people that where shooting and stabbing people were older, almost all ex convicts. People right out of high school weren't doing that type of stuff. Not only that, but I think the rise of people like Rudy Giuliani demonstrates that there was a rise in violence since the 70s.

    Just my take.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    And you are trying to reduce the role of one parent to their gender, as many try to do.
    No I'm not, but if you are trying to put forward the notion that gender has nothing to do with parenting, then I disagree with you in the strongest terms.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Parents are not defined or a necessity based on their gender, but rather what they bring to the raising of a child.
    And I say to you, that part of what they bring has to do with their gender. My mother used to put me on her lap, hug, kiss and comfort me in a way that ONLY A MOTHER COULD. MY FATHER JUST COULD NOT DO IT LIKE THAT.

    My mother was very, very beautiful. But she was a tomboy when she was young, but I can remember her throwing the football with me. But she couldn't do it like my father, who had played football in college and coached football. And especially as I got older and much stronger, my mother just couldn't do it. My father could. She could not run with me. My father could. My father would take me to football games, he knew the coaches, many of the former players, he introduced me around. My mother just didn't have those kinds of relationships to do those types of things.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I guarantee you that there is nothing that your father brought to raising you that was only because of his gender. It was because he is who he is. His gender may be part of that, but it was not a vital part of that.
    And I guarantee you are wrong. It was a vital part. That's not to say that my mother could not have done a good job raising me without my father, but it would have been substantially different. I guarantee it.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I turned out well, as did my siblings, and our father had very little to do with that fact, despite the fact that my parents were married and living together for all of my childhood.
    Good for you. I turned out the way I dd because I had a strong FEMALE mother and a strong MALE father.

  8. #58
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,196

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I don't know about that. Of course I was from a small city of around 50,000 people, but still. The type of people that where shooting and stabbing people were older, almost all ex convicts. People right out of high school weren't doing that type of stuff. Not only that, but I think the rise of people like Rudy Giuliani demonstrates that there was a rise in violence since the 70s.

    Just my take.

    I'm from an area smaller and more rural than yours. It is still abnormally violent, but not to the widespread degree as the 70s.


    FBI stats do not indicate a rise in crime since the 70s nationwide, but a definite and substantial drop. Have a look.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  9. #59
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,196

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by polgara View Post
    Good morning, Goshin.

    WTH is wrong with these people?

    Other people aren't quite real to them, Pol.

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    No way. Not only have I always been against violence, but I don't think I ever succumbed to peer pressure. In fact, I used to call people out when they seemed to be. Didn't endear me to some folks, but kept my integrity.
    If you never succumbed to peer pressure you are a rare one. Frankly, I find it hard to believe, no offense.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •