Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 104

Thread: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

  1. #11
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I look at the knockout game and think is so ridiculous and cruel. However I remember being a teenager and doing stupid things because of peer pressure. I wonder if I would have played the knockout game because of peer pressure. Would you have played the knockout game as a teenager because of peer pressure?

    Man attacked in suspected 'knockout game' in Manhattan - NY Daily News
    nope. Did my share of stupid stuff as a teen, but physical violence wasnt part of my life unless I was defending myself or family. A couple of cat fights in high school, but I didn't start them.

    This kind of gratuitous violence that seems so prevalent these days, IMO comes from not understanding what the real repercussions of your actions are.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    No doubt about that at all.
    It's the testosterone I suppose.

  3. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I'm 35, and when I was in my younger years there was a bit of fighting, but nothing like today. Back then, and in my older cousins' days you only fought if you had to and that meant the person just was not going to leave you alone until you put some action into it, even then it wasn't about hurting someone but rather giving a couple of bruises and having it done with.

    Now it seems kids in general have a mentality that a fight is meant to end in someone going to the hospital or the morgue, they have no self control in these situations and the odds are someone has a knife or other weapon tucked away. Not only is a street fight the mark of a badly raised person these days, it's just a stupid thing to get into because someone, somewhere has something hidden.
    Like I said my nephew was stabbed at a club not long after he was out of high school. I don't remember one incident of that occurring at a club when I was his age.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Last Seen
    08-18-15 @ 09:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,974

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    nope. Did my share of stupid stuff as a teen, but physical violence wasnt part of my life unless I was defending myself or family. A couple of cat fights in high school, but I didn't start them.

    This kind of gratuitous violence that seems so prevalent these days, IMO comes from not understanding what the real repercussions of your actions are.
    I may be wrong, but I think it's because that whole "gangster" lifestyle is being glorified more. I think certain types of rap music is contributing to it. Again, don't have hard evidence. Just an opinion from observation. Some people, including some of the artists, seem to take some of that stuff too seriously.

  5. #15
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MildSteel View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think it's because that whole "gangster" lifestyle is being glorified more. I think certain types of rap music is contributing to it. Again, don't have hard evidence. Just an opinion from observation. Some people, including some of the artists, seem to take some of that stuff too seriously.
    All part and parcel of it, along with lack of teaching personal responsibility.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  6. #16
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,242
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    All part and parcel of it, along with lack of teaching personal responsibility.
    And a whole bunch of kids growing up without a dad . . . learning how to be a real man.

  7. #17
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,335

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by GottaGo View Post
    nope. Did my share of stupid stuff as a teen, but physical violence wasnt part of my life unless I was defending myself or family. A couple of cat fights in high school, but I didn't start them.

    This kind of gratuitous violence that seems so prevalent these days, IMO comes from not understanding what the real repercussions of your actions are.
    : Plus I don't recall ever seeing the amount of general anger in people that I see today. However, as Pero has pointed out in some of his posts, DC might as well have been on Mars for all the impact they had on our personal lives back then. Now, everybody knows about everything going on almost as it occurs!

    Greetings, GottaGo.

  8. #18
    Wee Nyeff
    GottaGo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In the now
    Last Seen
    05-23-17 @ 02:58 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,311

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    And a whole bunch of kids growing up without a dad . . . learning how to be a real man.
    I don't think having a dad or not has a major effect. Considering the general lack of moral guidance even shows up in homes where both parents are present, I'm thinking peer pressure to " man up" along with previously noted influences are more likely.
    Building block or stumbling block.... choose.

  9. #19
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:00 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    No.

    45
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #20
    Be different, be honest
    EdwinWillers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Divided States of Kardashia
    Last Seen
    12-25-15 @ 04:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    4,361

    Re: Would you have played knockout as a teenager because of peer pressure

    No, and I can't imagine ANYONE back in my time who would've engaged in it either.

    Honestly, I can't believe how our culture has deteriorated this far that anyone is engaging in such depravation today.
    Who chimes "No Absolutes!" chimes absolutely.

    zoom zoom

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •