View Poll Results: Does race actually exist?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, humans are divided into different races (white, black, mixed, etc.)

    28 50.00%
  • No, we are all the same race

    24 42.86%
  • I don't know/other

    4 7.14%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 139

Thread: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

  1. #31
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    03-20-14 @ 12:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    575

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    It's a term we use to describe a difference in color, features and orgins. Does it mean there's a significant difference between races in thought and physical abilities, no. Is it a good basis for discrimination, absolutely not.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,775

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    but if DNA tests were done, they'd show neanderthal DNA whereas a sub-saharan african's would not...

    that was my question. is the presence or absence of neanderthal DNA enough of a difference to consider those with it a separate "race" than those without?

    I'm not, in any way, suggesting that one is superior to the other. merely that they are different. are they different enough to be considered distinct races?
    Only if throughout human history, neither side had ever cross-mated. Most people, except in the most isolated parts of the world, have. In the U.S., for instance, the chances that a black person has no white DNA or Hispanic DNA or Asian DNA in their system is small. The same is true for all other groups. Every group has interbred with every other group, there's no such thing as a pure strain anymore.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #33
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,690

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Quote Originally Posted by WCH View Post
    Race and gender only matter to Leftists.
    If that were true then you'd rarely have culture wars, as the Right would follow the leader.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post

    So races are real but that doesn't make people less human. We're all human -> homo sapiens. But ignoring racial differences is not the key to "ending racism", it's the key to ignorance... you need to understand and accept racial differences as being there. For crying out loud, doctors accept them, that's why you have race related medications for certain diseases... so yeah.
    Race

    '2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.'

    Race - definition of Race by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.


    Race is a term...not a fact.

    And doctors that use these terms are just as ignorant/lazy as anyone else that does.

    Race - medically - refers to a group of people with certain historical/geographic similarities. It has NOTHING to do with 'race'...the word is just a lazy convenience.
    If the doctors were being truly accurate; instead of saying 'common to blacks', they would say 'common to individuals whose ancestors originated from such-and-such part of the African continent'.


    The term 'race' is usually just a made up term for lazy and/or ignorant and/or bigoted people to lump groups together on the basis of superficial, physical characteristics.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Race

    '2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution: the German race.'

    Race - definition of Race by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.


    Race is a term...not a fact.

    And doctors that use these terms are just as ignorant/lazy as anyone else that does.

    Race - medically - refers to a group of people with certain historical/geographic similarities. It has NOTHING to do with 'race'...the word is just a lazy convenience.
    If the doctors were being truly accurate; instead of saying 'common to blacks', they would say 'common to individuals whose ancestors originated from such-and-such part of the African continent'.


    The term 'race' is usually just a made up term for lazy and/or ignorant and/or bigoted people to lump groups together on the basis of superficial, physical characteristics.
    I see you cropped my comment without making a reference to that and you never addressed the rest of things I said there. But let's ignore that for now, i'll get back to that at the end of the comment.

    Race
    1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.
    This is #1. This means exactly what we know as race. African, middle eastern, east asian, SE asian (hindu) and European as major racial groups. But you also have a lot others and you can also classify them in other ways. You can say: caucasian, negroid and mongoloid if you want... though I wouldn't.

    The German people are an ethnicity. Here is a map of ethnicities in Europe.


    A group of individuals that share some common traits form an ethnicity. A few ethnicities form an ethnic group (germanic -> reddish/pink, Latin -> blue, slavic -> Light blue, greek-> purple ) and a group of ethnic groups can form a race, this case, European.

    Let's look at Indian.
    This is a map of ethnic groups in India.


    You got your Dravidians, your indo-aryans, your Kolarisn, your sino-tibetans, your pockets of Khasi and others. These are all ethnic groups, each having multiple ethnicities. Together, they all form the Hindi people, which is a race. Or SE Asian if you want to refer to them that way.

    And the examples can continue.

    Now for the remaining part of my comment. This is what I said in full:
    We're all the same species, but there are different races.

    You get species-> subspecies (races) -> ethnicities.

    Homo Sapiens -> european / african / east asian / etc -> briton, norman, basque / kenyan, ethiopian / han chinesse, cantonesse /etc.

    The genetic differences between each racial group is anywhere between 1-> 1.5% according to whatever studies you follow.

    This is also valid in pre-sapien ancestry. For instance, it is just people whose ancestors were in Europe, the mediterraanian basin and west and central middle east that have homo neanderthalis genes... africans and east asians don't have them, they have other ancestry... because neanderthals didn't live elsewhere. So neanderthals aren't the ancestor of homo sapiens, just one of the ancestors of europeans and semitic people.

    So races are real but that doesn't make people less human. We're all human -> homo sapiens. But ignoring racial differences is not the key to "ending racism", it's the key to ignorance... you need to understand and accept racial differences as being there. For crying out loud, doctors accept them, that's why you have race related medications for certain diseases... so yeah.

    Really, i wouldn't worry to much about it. Race is not a determining factor in the personality or characteristic of someone unless he makes it so and those people are racists.

    So if being of a particular race is something that defines you in say, your top 5... then you are a very sad person because you don't have a lot of things going for you and you should pick up a hobby or two or get out more.
    If you're gonna comment, comment on all of it or explain why you only chose to comment a part of it.

  6. #36
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    This is about RACE, not ethnicity. There is a difference between saying "I am black" and "I am a Kenyan", for instance. I do not believe that race exists. It is a made up social construct that has been historically used to divide people into groups based on what their ethnic origins appear to be. We are all the same species; there are just tendencies in appearance based on the area where one's ancestors lived (which is obviously due to adaptations to the environment).

    I am not asking if the social phenomena of "race" exists, rather I am asking if this social phenomena has any basis in reality.



    The only race on this planet is the human race.

    All human beings on this planet are homo sapiens sapiens.

    Have a nice day.

  7. #37
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    If you're gonna comment, comment on all of it or explain why you only chose to comment a part of it.
    I will comment on ANY part of a post I feel like - you don't like that...too bad.

    Your first part was irrelevant to me...so I disregarded it.

    Same with most of your above post.


    As for the first definition of race:

    '1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.'
    That is what the word means to many...that does not make it accurate. There is a definition for Martians...that does not make it accurate or mean that there are actually Martians.


    Let me make this clear to you...I don't much care what you think about this. I commented about your post for others to see.

    Race is as I said...a lazy, ignorant way of lumping people together into arbitrary groups - usually by physical characteristics.
    To call 'blacks' a 'race' is pathetically simplistic. Same with 'whites'. Same with 'east Asians' (btw - calling 'orientals', Asians is moronic as it gets. Russians, Iraqi's, Indians, and Syrians are all from Asia...but nobody calls them 'Asian'.)

    Just like simplistic pigs call escorts, whores. Simplistic people look at a person with substantial melanin and call them 'blacks'.
    Technically, the are both right (though most 'blacks' are usually brown in color...not black).
    They are both also ignorant/lazy on the subject...reducing human beings to the most basic, crude denominators.

    And if I actually have to explain to you about the negative repercussions from people being lumped into 'races'...then you truly are ignorant on this subject.

    So continue the stereotype and refer to people by their most common and simplistic denominator...but leave me out of it....I have more respect for humans then that.

    You disagree...I don't much care.


    I am done on this subject with you for now...good day.
    Last edited by DA60; 03-05-14 at 03:29 AM.

  8. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 02:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I will comment on ANY part of a post I feel like - you don't like that...too bad.

    Your first part was irrelevant to me...so I disregarded it.

    Same with most of your above post.


    As for the first definition of race:

    '1. A local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics.'
    That is what the word means to many...that does not make it accurate. There is a definition for Martians...that does not make it accurate or mean that there are actually Martians.


    Let me make this clear to you...I don't much care what you think about this. I commented about your post for others to see.

    Race is as I said...a lazy, ignorant way of lumping people together into arbitrary groups - usually by physical characteristics.
    To call 'blacks' a 'race' is pathetically simplistic. Same with 'whites'. Same with 'east Asians' (btw - calling 'orientals', Asians is moronic as it gets. Russians, Iraqi's, Indians, and Syrians are all from Asia...but nobody calls them 'Asian'.)

    Just like simplistic pigs call escorts, whores. Simplistic people look at a person with substantial melanin and call them 'blacks'.
    Technically, the are both right (though most 'blacks' are usually brown in color...not black).
    They are both also ignorant/lazy on the subject...reducing human beings to the most basic, crude denominators.

    And if I actually have to explain to you about the negative repercussions from people being lumped into 'races'...then you truly are ignorant on this subject.

    So continue the stereotype and refer to people by their most common and simplistic denominator...but leave me out of it....I have more respect for humans then that.

    You disagree...I don't much care.


    I am done on this subject with you for now...good day.
    You also didn't include me in your comment in the reply, so I got no notification. Fortunately it's a slow day so I log in here every hour to see what's up. That's like... dirty. Whenever I chop down someones' comment I give an explanation as to why I did it. Usually something like "I agree with everything else but this" or "I chopped your wall of text because it was too big". But that's just me trying to be civil.

    You can say that human beings are a race but we're a species. Like canines... canines come in different breeds (subspecies or races).

    Race is not a lazy way to do anything. It's just a way to group people because grouping people is what people do.
    We group people by profession, by age, by gender, by sex, by whatever. We assign these things because it's easy to quantify them and use them in our day to day lives. There is nothing wrong with grouping people by race. There's nothing dirty in it.

    One of the things I work with is databases. I put information into databases and in order for someone to find them easier, I assign useful "tags" to them as it were. It's like when you try and file a group of pictures.
    Let me make it simpler for you and everyone to understand.
    Say you have pictures on your computer. All the pictures are pictures (all humans are humans) but some pictures are pictures of cats... others are pictures of dogs, some are pictures of wildlife and some are pictures of nature like mountains and rivers... some are pictures of events you've been to and some are pictures of your family and friends at birthdays or weddings.

    What is the truly lazy way to deal with all these pictures? The lazy way is to put them all in a single folder named "pictures". That way when you want to find a picture that you're looking for, you'll have a hard time doing it.
    No.
    What you do is you make a folder for cat pictures, a folder for dog pictures, a folder for all different kinds of pictures and you meticulously organize them. This is the correct way to do it. This is the smart way to do it. The lazy way is to just say they are all pictures and disconsider what kind of pictures they are.

    You can choose what kinds of pictures you want in what folder. You can say you want to put dogs and cats together as a "pet folder" and you can group friends and family with event photos. It's your decision on how you group them. But the more meticulous and correct you group them, the easier it is to have access to them. And this is the smart way to do it.
    Yours is the lazy and ignorant way.

    I could branch out that example in multiple ways but I think you got the point.
    EDIT: I'm also not talking about stereotypes, at all... you seem to go full automaton with the replies. Read this and my prev comment carefully. You're the only one who is attacking X set of stereotypes to a race. I'm not even going there.
    Last edited by Rainman05; 03-05-14 at 03:51 AM.

  9. #39
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Colorado mountains
    Last Seen
    01-03-15 @ 08:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    5,729

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    The human genome project has demonstrated that the total human population of the earth went down to only a few thousand individuals not all that long ago.
    Mathematically we are all at least 50th cousins.
    We are all at least 50th cousins with each other. Here's how and why... | 22 Words
    Why humans are all much more related than you think
    Mitochondrial Eve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Human genetic variation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

  10. #40
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    This is about RACE, not ethnicity. There is a difference between saying "I am black" and "I am a Kenyan", for instance. I do not believe that race exists. It is a made up social construct that has been historically used to divide people into groups based on what their ethnic origins appear to be. We are all the same species; there are just tendencies in appearance based on the area where one's ancestors lived (which is obviously due to adaptations to the environment).

    I am not asking if the social phenomena of "race" exists, rather I am asking if this social phenomena has any basis in reality.
    I had a giant debate with someone from my congressman's office about this issue around 2003. I was impressed that she called me at work to discuss my concerns.

    My question was different. What criteria must a person meet in order to call themselves black? Her answer: I could tell by looking at you what your race is. This answer seemed typical but it really can't be defined on paper. I did receive an interesting answer from one of my professors years later. Your race is the same as your mother's race.

    Drum roll.............................................. .....

    Years later a black man was elected president. Use the above logic. His mother was white. Obama is the 44th white president.

    Of course we can use the, "I can tell by looking at you." logic. That would make him the first black president but again this can't be defined on paper.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •