View Poll Results: Does race actually exist?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, humans are divided into different races (white, black, mixed, etc.)

    28 50.00%
  • No, we are all the same race

    24 42.86%
  • I don't know/other

    4 7.14%
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 139

Thread: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

  1. #121
    onomatopoeic
    mbig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-17 @ 08:59 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,350

    Re: Does race actually exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by MoSurveyor View Post
    There's nothing to debate - I'm just pointing out errors.
    With this post you've made three, now.
    Wrong/Lie
    I made NO error. I did not say which Gorillas were which species/subspecies.
    I Merely elucidated a List of them to show they existed Despite never having left Africa.
    My POINT/The Context you don't get and dishonestly Mischaracterized, being a refutation of Bod's claim. His stating that because humans evolved in Africa as a single subspecies/race, that they couldn't later have subspecies!
    A Ridiculous premise easily Busted by me BY Showing that even if they never left Africa they could easily evolve into different subspecies, even species, as Gorillas did. Humans geographical divergence only making easier/More likely.
    THAT was the context and 100% coherent and correct point.
    You have shown ZERO Error as all I did was list some of those species/subspecies, NOT claim which any of them were.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo
    I haven't been addressing those issues, so your whining about it in response to my post is uncalled for.
    I have not stated any position except to say I disagree with your position, which doesn't mean I'm diametrically opposed to it.
    IOW you have ZERO Rebuttal and Cannot address THE issue at hand, just don't like it/Disagree withOUT cause/Cannot debate merely are desperate to find something/anything to nitpick cause you want a piece of me.
    What transparent and admitted Ignorance!
    You admittedly just want to find something/anything to pick at because you "disagree" (it offends your Unthoughtout position) but you CANNOT elucidate it! so try tangential means.
    Sad.
    Let us know when you DO have something to say on the String Topic eh?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mo
    Since you haven't been using Australian or North American natives as two distinct races in your arguments, your claim (my supposed "self-impeachment" ) is shown to be false once again.
    That's three strikes - you're out ...
    So you have No answer to your Self-Impeaching "COUPLE of Exceptions".
    OUCHER.
    A "Couple" is plenty to make the point.

    Let me add to my point/Your be Porked with this, for just one, on Human's journey to geographical dispersion and physical divergence/adaption/evolution into Races.

    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.migrationheritage.nsw.gov.au/objects-through-time/essays/50000-years-before-present/ FOR JUST ONE CITATION

    Our species evolved in Africa over 200,000 years ago. The Genographic Project has found that people spread out of Africa in at least two migratory waves. The first wave travelled from eastern Africa into the area of the east coast of the Mediterranean known as the Levant about 100,000 years ago.

    The later second wave moved from Africa into the Arabian Peninsula and continued eastward following the coast of South Asia about 70,000 years ago.

    This southern wave kept rolling along reaching Southeast Asia, where one branch of people migrated to Australia and New Guinea, while other branches moved along the coast of east Asia. A branch of this second wave migration moved north into the central Asia and spread west into Europe and east into Siberia about 40,000 years ago. Eventually humans made their way to the American continent about 15,000 – 20,000 years ago.

    The actual timing of the southern wave of humans is hard to ascertain because it appears to have moved along the coast, where after the end of the last Ice Age 12,000 years ago the melting glaciers drowned large stretches of coastline so the evidence is now under the ocean. The fossils we have of these migrants offer few clues as to what sparked their spread.
    Damn good!
    So again, my divergence starting 50,000 years ago is quite a decent estimate, even conservative.
    And not that 10,000-15,000 years wouldn't be enough to develop subspecies.
    THAT time period Previously Elucidated by me/my links as well.

    Again, do chirp in when you have something on the string topic you admittedly/pathetically do NOT have now.
    Last edited by mbig; 03-09-14 at 09:36 AM.
    I'm personally sick of not being able to dunk a basketball because of racism.
    anon

  2. #122
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Does race actually exist?

    Races are a human construct based on evolved environmental adaptation differences, as well as unique societal conditions resulting from geographic separations. There are obviously racial differences within the species, in much the same ways there are different adaptations throughout the animal kingdom. In zebras, for example, the striped pattern is determined by a series of genes that "turn on" the production of a dark pigment (melanin) on only certain parts of the body. This can happen at any point in development, and differs between species. This is why different species of zebras have different types of striping. We could just as easily call them different "Races" of Zebra.

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Does race actually exist?

    I see so many people here that don't recognize races just because they fear of being labelled "a racist"!

  4. #124

    Re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    There is only one race...the human race.

    Calling someone a different 'race' because one person has more or less melanin in their skin is about as ignorant as it gets, imo.
    Pleeeeease tell this to the South African government!

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Does race actually exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    I see so many people here that don't recognize races just because they fear of being labelled "a racist"!
    What a staggeringly ignorant thing to say.

    Since you probably know no one that you speak of, then you cannot possibly know what they 'feel' about this subject. So, to say in a matter-of-fact manner what people you have never met 'fear' is ignorant in the extremis.

    And your 'credibility' is affected accordingly...along with the chances of me wasting my time further with you on this subject.


    Good day.
    Last edited by DA60; 03-09-14 at 02:29 PM.

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Does race actually exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    And your 'credibility' is affected accordingly...along with the chances of me wasting my time further with you on this subject.
    Whatever, dude, I stand to my words. Whether you like it or not, that's your business.

  7. #127
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Does race actually exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    I see so many people here that don't recognize races just because they fear of being labelled "a racist"!
    When I hear "race", I think "why is someone trying to group people again, damnit".
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    EUSSR
    Last Seen
    03-24-14 @ 01:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,851

    Re: Does race actually exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    When I hear "race", I think "why is someone trying to group people again, damnit".
    Because that's how the mind works - it classifies, sorts, analyzes and recognizes different people and different situations. Trying to lump everything (they are all people or they are all animals or they are all creatures) doesn't help the mind at all.

  9. #129
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Does race actually exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Because that's how the mind works - it classifies, sorts, analyzes and recognizes different people and different situations. Trying to lump everything (they are all people or they are all animals or they are all creatures) doesn't help the mind at all.
    I try the third option, if I think about it.

    Everyone is a group.

    Only do it with humans though, I group animals and such all the damn time.


    OF course that doesn't always work - the natural mental path is to group people. Have to think about it to avoid that. Or modify previous erroneous conclusions.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #130
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,301

    Re: Does race actually exist?[W:115]

    Sure race exists, to keep race baiters like Sharpton, Jackson and Obama in the social justice business.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •