View Poll Results: Do you want Obamacare to Fail

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    42 39.62%
  • No

    54 50.94%
  • Maybe/Don't Know

    3 2.83%
  • Chuck Norris

    7 6.60%
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 217

Thread: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

  1. #181
    Sage
    AlbqOwl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New Mexico
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,573
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    A better health plan?


    You won't put out the fire by getting rid of ACA....but you could burn down your house.
    Really? Or maybe the state is the better entity to manage a one-size-fits-all health mandate. Or the private sector would prove to produce the very best healthcare system in the world as it once did before the government started meddling in it.

    But the fact is, the ACA is doing far more harm than good, and the few folks it is benefitting just doesn't justify the damage it is doing to others. Just as your house fire might provide some warmth for a few folks for awhile, but I doubt you would think that was worth not putting out the fire.
    "I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it." --Benjamin Franklin 1776

  2. #182
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by AlbqOwl View Post
    Really? Or maybe the state is the better entity to manage a one-size-fits-all health mandate. Or the private sector would prove to produce the very best healthcare system in the world as it once did before the government started meddling in it.

    But the fact is, the ACA is doing far more harm than good, and the few folks it is benefitting just doesn't justify the damage it is doing to others. Just as your house fire might provide some warmth for a few folks for awhile, but I doubt you would think that was worth not putting out the fire.
    Either way, it's expensive...but private insurance has not proven to hold down costs and they insure less people than Medicare. When Medicare adopted private insurance "Medicare Advantage" it drove costs up, not down. So it might sound good in theory but when put to practice, private insurance costs more than government insurance.

    Medicare vs private insurance....



  3. #183
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,754

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Either way, it's expensive...but private insurance has not proven to hold down costs and they insure less people than Medicare. When Medicare adopted private insurance "Medicare Advantage" it drove costs up, not down. So it might sound good in theory but when put to practice, private insurance costs more than government insurance.

    Medicare vs private insurance....


    That doesn't seem to account for quality of care though?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  4. #184
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    That doesn't seem to account for quality of care though?
    The quality of care is no better or worse whether it is paid by private or medicare insurance. The disagreement is how health care is paid for.

  5. #185
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The quality of care is no better or worse whether it is paid by private or medicare insurance. The disagreement is how health care is paid for.
    That's not quite true, overall availability and what you are calling quality of care are indeed ruled by payment.

  6. #186
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,754

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    The quality of care is no better or worse whether it is paid by private or medicare insurance. The disagreement is how health care is paid for.
    The GRAPH does not account for quality of care - perhaps the medicare cost per beneficiary was lower because they didn't pay for as much care?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  7. #187
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's not quite true, overall availability and what you are calling quality of care are indeed ruled by payment.
    Overall availabilty has never been that good in rural areas. So they can't lose something they never really had. But overall medical care is supposed to be the best in the world...but in reality it's no better or worse than other westernized countries...however the US can claim to be the most expensive in the world.

    The CBO says that ACA will help reduce the national debt over the next ten years or so...unless congress ****s it up. Reducing the debt, isn't that what the right wing claim they want?

  8. #188
    Sage
    Greenbeard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Cambridge, MA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    5,613

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    The GRAPH does not account for quality of care - perhaps the medicare cost per beneficiary was lower because they didn't pay for as much care?
    Volume ≠ quality.

  9. #189
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:45 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,474

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    The GRAPH does not account for quality of care - perhaps the medicare cost per beneficiary was lower because they didn't pay for as much care?
    Seniors on average use more medical care and services, not less. Private insurance companies prefer to only insure the healthy. So how is it that Medicare which has a lot more sick older people can still keep costs lower than private insurance that insures more healthier younger people?

  10. #190
    Professor
    finebead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,558

    Re: Do You Want "Obamacare" to Fail?

    There is no piece of legislation that large that gets it perfectly right the first time. I would like to see Obamacare succeed, and to be tweaked to improve it. I don't think it needs to be repealed.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •