View Poll Results: You worried?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    49 49.00%
  • No

    45 45.00%
  • I'm buying my marshmallows

    6 6.00%
Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 321

Thread: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    I don't know why we're not talking more about the situation in Ukraine on this site.

    A few days ago, I responded to one of the threads by wondering aloud whether Putin was going to put up with the West encroaching on a former Soviet satellite. I compared the situation to Georgia a few years ago, when the Russians went in. In fact, that was at an Olympics as well if I recall.

    It turns out I was right, and I'm not happy to say that.

    Anyway, I have learned to generally ignore the news, but after hearing the Russian military is now in Crimea I have sat up and taken notice.

    If you watch Obama's press conference addressing the issue, he looks visibly shaken and maybe even scared. And he probably should be, this is the biggest moment in his presidency.

    This is much more important than Obamacare, more important than Benghazi, any of that trivial stuff.

    I'm going to put it bluntly. I'd say there's about a 15% chance that this situation causes World War 3. It's literally that serious.

    What you have to do is look at it from Russia's perspective. If Ukraine goes westward, joins the EU, joins NATO.... all things the Russians fear.... then it's essentially Russia admitting defeat. It's Russia's sphere of influence shrinking for all the world to see.

    That may not be a forgivable offense in the eyes of the Russian people. That might mean Putin's head on the chopping block, and you can bet your ass he sees it that way too.

    Not only are the soldiers in Ukraine, a Russian spy ship just docked in Cuba 100 miles from Miami. The ship poses no harm, but it sends a message and I think that message is loud and clear and you don't need me to spell it out for you.

    The fact that Russian soldiers are somewhat covertly in the Russian section of Crimea should tell you one thing: it's not a full-blown attack, the Russians are dipping their toes in the water to feel it out.

    They're waiting. Waiting to see what Obama and the West do in response. Testing us.

    Show weakness and the Russians will simply take Ukraine. That will have catastrophic consequences. We would never be able to turn a satellite country our way again, because they would know they aren't protected. It's no coincidence that the Ukrainians are asking the UK and the US for protection... and we must give it to them.

    To fail to do so would strengthen Moscow and weaken Washington in a way we haven't seen since the 70's. The world does not need that. On the other hand, we must at all costs avoid backing Russia in to a corner they can't get out of, because if Putin must fight a war to maintain the status quo in terms of balance of power then I'm not so sure we can discount that possibility. We all know how catastrophic that could be for both sides.

    So this should concern you. You should pay attention to this situation as it unfolds. It may all fizzle out and amount to nothing, let's hope it does, but it has the potential to change the world in ways we can't begin to comprehend.

  2. #2
    Educator newpublius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Riverdale, NJ
    Last Seen
    01-14-17 @ 11:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    714

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    It worries me just as a person who genuinely desires that the people of the Ukraine can find peace. It doesn't worry me in the sense of worrying about its direct impact on me personally.

  3. #3
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    12-30-16 @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,527

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    Quote Originally Posted by newpublius View Post
    It worries me just as a person who genuinely desires that the people of the Ukraine can find peace. It doesn't worry me in the sense of worrying about its direct impact on me personally.
    we might have no choice. if it gets bad we will get involved
    "If you can't stand the way this place is, Take yourself to higher places!"
    Break, By Three days grace

    Hilliary Clinton/Tim Kaine 2016

  4. #4
    geo-lib
    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    12-27-16 @ 09:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    57,893

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    It's no coincidence that the Ukrainians are asking the UK and the US for protection... and we must give it to them.
    As the biggest hawk on this site, I say: stay the **** out of Ukraine.

  5. #5
    Global Moderator
    Rage More!
    Your Star's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    25,565

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    I worry for the people; I hate seeing the violence and I hope it stops.

    Though, I'm not really worried the situation causing a security risk for the US.
    Eat me, drink me, love me;
    Laura make much of me

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-26-14 @ 01:05 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,032

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    I worry for the people; I hate seeing the violence and I hope it stops.

    Though, I'm not really worried the situation causing a security risk for the US.
    Hypothetically, if Kyiv falls (even in an symbolic way)... Beijing may see it as a chance to make it's moves on some of the unjust claims it made. Japanesse islands. Philipino national waters. South Korean national waters. All of those long-standing allies that the USA guarantees. So while you don't have to be worried about Moscow... you should be worried about beijing.

  7. #7
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    01-17-17 @ 03:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,148

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    Why does everyone always **** themselves in fear when they're reminded that the global community isn't Heaven on earth?

    Am I a sociopath, or do I simply realise that conflict per se isn't the same thing as a mushroom cloud?

  8. #8
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:37 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    33,787

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I don't know why we're not talking more about the situation in Ukraine on this site.

    A few days ago, I responded to one of the threads by wondering aloud whether Putin was going to put up with the West encroaching on a former Soviet satellite. I compared the situation to Georgia a few years ago, when the Russians went in. In fact, that was at an Olympics as well if I recall.

    It turns out I was right, and I'm not happy to say that.

    Anyway, I have learned to generally ignore the news, but after hearing the Russian military is now in Crimea I have sat up and taken notice.

    If you watch Obama's press conference addressing the issue, he looks visibly shaken and maybe even scared. And he probably should be, this is the biggest moment in his presidency.

    This is much more important than Obamacare, more important than Benghazi, any of that trivial stuff.

    I'm going to put it bluntly. I'd say there's about a 15% chance that this situation causes World War 3. It's literally that serious.

    What you have to do is look at it from Russia's perspective. If Ukraine goes westward, joins the EU, joins NATO.... all things the Russians fear.... then it's essentially Russia admitting defeat. It's Russia's sphere of influence shrinking for all the world to see.

    That may not be a forgivable offense in the eyes of the Russian people. That might mean Putin's head on the chopping block, and you can bet your ass he sees it that way too.

    Not only are the soldiers in Ukraine, a Russian spy ship just docked in Cuba 100 miles from Miami. The ship poses no harm, but it sends a message and I think that message is loud and clear and you don't need me to spell it out for you.

    The fact that Russian soldiers are somewhat covertly in the Russian section of Crimea should tell you one thing: it's not a full-blown attack, the Russians are dipping their toes in the water to feel it out.

    They're waiting. Waiting to see what Obama and the West do in response. Testing us.

    Show weakness and the Russians will simply take Ukraine. That will have catastrophic consequences. We would never be able to turn a satellite country our way again, because they would know they aren't protected. It's no coincidence that the Ukrainians are asking the UK and the US for protection... and we must give it to them.

    To fail to do so would strengthen Moscow and weaken Washington in a way we haven't seen since the 70's. The world does not need that. On the other hand, we must at all costs avoid backing Russia in to a corner they can't get out of, because if Putin must fight a war to maintain the status quo in terms of balance of power then I'm not so sure we can discount that possibility. We all know how catastrophic that could be for both sides.

    So this should concern you. You should pay attention to this situation as it unfolds. It may all fizzle out and amount to nothing, let's hope it does, but it has the potential to change the world in ways we can't begin to comprehend.
    Yes I see enough dander potential to keep an eye on it, while I fetch my marshmallows.
    But the US should leave it to the Europeans to divide Ukraine into West and East Ukraine, if that is what they and the Russians want. But the last thing we need now is to watch the present Commander in Chief lead a Charge of the Light Brigade.

  9. #9
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    01-07-17 @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,151

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    Russia has met his match in Ukraine. This is not Georgia. The freaking Russian bully cannot just occupy and treat lands that do not belong to them by force like it did in Georgia and none did much about it. This one has a fighting chance. This one can fight, is armed, and may only need some help while engaged.

    Russia better stay the F out of this one because if they lose a war here countries currently within Russia may follow. They are oppressed from the bully system just as well and may ask to be really free too!

    Now I know none wants neither to intervene nor to corner Russia out of fears of WW3. But Ukraine may no longer take being bullied from Russia neither! Perhaps intervention may come, but may do so when Ukraine and Russia start giving positive signals that they want us to intervene between them.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  10. #10
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    01-07-17 @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,151

    Re: Does the situation in Ukraine worry you?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    Hypothetically, if Kyiv falls (even in an symbolic way)... Beijing may see it as a chance to make it's moves on some of the unjust claims it made. Japanesse islands. Philipino national waters. South Korean national waters. All of those long-standing allies that the USA guarantees. So while you don't have to be worried about Moscow... you should be worried about beijing.
    Yes, see my above post and how it may relate to Beijing also.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •