View Poll Results: will new food labeling change or help your food picks??

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, it's much clearer, i'll be able to watch my nutrition easily

    7 16.28%
  • yes: previously i hadn't looked at food labels

    1 2.33%
  • no - I don't care what the label says, it doesn't influence my diet

    10 23.26%
  • no: I already look at food labels, and this isn't going to change my diet

    27 62.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 117

Thread: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

  1. #81
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dittohead not! View Post
    I'm not so sure the "tards" actually are capable of reading the labels in the first place, let alone be able to figure out how many calories constitute a reasonable consumption.
    There you go. Acceptable losses.

    We need to revoke the inability to drop medical coverage though.

  2. #82
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It's not as if people who actually look at labels cannot find out otherwise. There may be an exception to the workout granny with glaucoma, but everyone else knows the calorie count if they want to know the calorie count.

    I'm guessing that I won't go around hearing, "damn, I had no idea pudding was so bad for me".
    Some people don't want added calories from sugar, though I admit, whether they're from sugar, carbs or protein isn't a big diff.

    Here's a label example of the changes. Not much there.


    will new food labels chage your eating habits?-140226135852-new-nutrition-facts-restricted-horizontal-gallery-jpg
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #83
    Sage
    jamesrage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    A place where common sense exists
    Last Seen
    12-10-17 @ 09:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    31,067

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    Calorie counts would appear in larger, bolder type, and consumers would know for the first time whether foods have added sugars.

    Under the Obama administration's plan, labels would also feature more realistic descriptions of a serving.
    Under the plans, a 20oz (0.5kg) container of soda would count as one serving, rather than 2.5 servings, as it is currently.

    The serving size listed on ice cream cartons, currently half a cup, would increase to one cup.
    The food label revisions would also include mandatory potassium and vitamin D amounts.

    BBC News - Michelle Obama promotes plan for food label overhaul
    It won't change my eating habits because I already look at labels.But I do think its dishonest to label a pack of ramen or a 16oz soda as two servings and we should know what exactly they are putting in our food and where it comes from and whether or not it is a GMO food.
    "A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murder is less to fear"

    Cicero Marcus Tullius

  4. #84
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    I already read labels, and pretty much know what's in what (for the most part).

    I don't think these changes will affect many people's habits, though as a matter of general policy I am all for the providing of information.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  5. #85
    Guru
    annata's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    beneath the bodi tree
    Last Seen
    02-16-17 @ 12:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Some people don't want added calories from sugar, though I admit, whether they're from sugar, carbs or protein isn't a big diff.

    Here's a label example of the changes. Not much there.


    will new food labels chage your eating habits?-140226135852-new-nutrition-facts-restricted-horizontal-gallery-jpg
    not a big difference, but i'd rather ingest something other then empty calories (added sugars).
    Might even start a trend line where food processors do not feel the need to load up everything with sodium, and sucrose.

  6. #86
    
    TheGirlNextDoor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    09-24-14 @ 02:31 AM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    20,033
    Blog Entries
    21

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by annata View Post
    Calorie counts would appear in larger, bolder type, and consumers would know for the first time whether foods have added sugars.

    Under the Obama administration's plan, labels would also feature more realistic descriptions of a serving.
    Under the plans, a 20oz (0.5kg) container of soda would count as one serving, rather than 2.5 servings, as it is currently.

    The serving size listed on ice cream cartons, currently half a cup, would increase to one cup.
    The food label revisions would also include mandatory potassium and vitamin D amounts.

    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-26371692

    Haha. ..no. it's not gonna change how or what I eat.

    Look. Most people know that a serving size of ice cream isn't a Jethro bowl. .they choose to eat enough for 6 people.

    They treat people as if they are stupid instead of apathetic.
    Fool me once, shame on you.
    Fool me twice....shame on me.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,547

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Haha. ..no. it's not gonna change how or what I eat.

    Look. Most people know that a serving size of ice cream isn't a Jethro bowl. .they choose to eat enough for 6 people.

    They treat people as if they are stupid instead of apathetic.
    All too many people are both.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  8. #88
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Haha. ..no. it's not gonna change how or what I eat.

    Look. Most people know that a serving size of ice cream isn't a Jethro bowl. .they choose to eat enough for 6 people.

    They treat people as if they are stupid instead of apathetic.
    Don't disagree, but food companies know that a reasonable serving size of ice cream isn't a tablespoon, either, regardless what their labels say. Issues like this are commonly framed as being for the benefit of stupid people, but I think they're just as much geared toward deceptive companies.

    Example: When labeling first came out soft drink companies would label a 12 oz can of soda as "2.5 servings". The government... in a rare moment of reasonableness... spoke up and said, "Seriously, who drinks only 2/5 of a can of soda at a time? Pretty much no one, that's who. A serving is 1 can. Label it as such." (paraphrased, of course)
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlNextDoor View Post
    Haha. ..no. it's not gonna change how or what I eat.

    Look. Most people know that a serving size of ice cream isn't a Jethro bowl. .they choose to eat enough for 6 people.
    For some people that is a serving, which is why "serving size" should not even be on a "Nutrition Facts" label. The fact of the matter is that serving sizes are solely at the discretion of the server.

  10. #90
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Don't disagree, but food companies know that a reasonable serving size of ice cream isn't a tablespoon, either, regardless what their labels say. Issues like this are commonly framed as being for the benefit of stupid people, but I think they're just as much geared toward deceptive companies.
    They are geared for the government to deceive the people.

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Example: When labeling first came out soft drink companies would label a 12 oz can of soda as "2.5 servings". The government... in a rare moment of reasonableness... spoke up and said, "Seriously, who drinks only 2/5 of a can of soda at a time? Pretty much no one, that's who. A serving is 1 can. Label it as such." (paraphrased, of course)
    For some people 1 can is not a serving. A serving is less or more than that. Therefore it is a ****ing lie to represent that as a "Nutrition Fact".

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •