View Poll Results: will new food labeling change or help your food picks??

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, it's much clearer, i'll be able to watch my nutrition easily

    7 16.28%
  • yes: previously i hadn't looked at food labels

    1 2.33%
  • no - I don't care what the label says, it doesn't influence my diet

    10 23.26%
  • no: I already look at food labels, and this isn't going to change my diet

    27 62.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 117

Thread: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

  1. #101
    Sage
    Lovebug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,880

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    It may help those who are looking to make better choices, but doughnut and hamburger addicts?
    For those who care, portion size is easily learned at home and we can find plenty of useful information on the net. This is just one example
    Decrease Portion Sizes
    Restaurant food sizes can be adjusted by sharing or taking home leftovers, but lower sodium choices are more limited.

  2. #102
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovebug View Post
    It may help those who are looking to make better choices
    How in the hell would it do that. I challenge you to give a single scenario where those changes to the "Nutrition Facts" label could possibly be helpful in any way shape or form.

  3. #103
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:46 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,414

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    The problem is that the labels have so much government mandated disinformation on them.
    What would your version of the ideal nutrition label look like?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #104
    Sage
    pbrauer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    11-27-15 @ 03:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    25,394

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    From the OP:

    Calorie counts will appear in larger, bolder type, and consumers will know for the first time whether foods have added sugars.

    I never looked at labels, but two years ago my Hemoglobin A1C count was 7.0 and that made me change my diet. In case that term is foreign to you, you should know that anything above 5.6 is considered diabetic. Nasty stuff, you should have it checked.

    Insulin that is produced by the pancreas allows the glucose to enter the body's cells, if there is not enough of it the glucose permanently attaches to the red blood cells and stays in your blood stream until it dies.

    A1C Test, Hemoglobin A1C Test

  5. #105
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    Of course it is meaningful, especially if someone is trying to keep track of their calories. Explain why you think it would be meaningless?
    Calorie count for this food is 80.

    If I'm counting calories, do I count 80 if I eat a forkful? A bowlful? A gram? A pound?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  6. #106
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,561

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    The problem is that the labels have so much government mandated disinformation on them.
    There's a law that food labels have to lie? Really?
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #107
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    What would your version of the ideal nutrition label look like?
    For starters, if something is not a fact then it should not be on a "Nutrition Facts" label. Plain and simple. Not being lied to by having opinions misrepresented as facts seems reasonable and prudent to me.

    Macronutrients: If you calulate the %DV of macronutrients in the nutrition opinion that the Feds require on the "Nutrition Facts" label, you'll see that what they are doing is promoting a diet that is 18% protein, 29% fat and 53% carbohydrates. And while that ratio of macronutrients may be fine for some people it may be disaterous for others. Actually, a diet that heavy on carbs is likely to make many people obese.

    Last time I checked my dietary macronutrient ratio was 23% protein, 41% fat, and 36% carbohydrates. And according to the doc I'm in excellent physical condition. So that ratio is obviously working very well for me.

    That %DV opinion should be taken off of the Nutrition Facts label and be replaced with the actual ratio of macronutrients in the product. You know, replace opinion with the actual facts.

    Same thing with the micronutrients. Get rid of the opinions and replace it with the actual facts.

    Also, the ingredients list needs to be complete and specific. For example, when a product contains vegetable oil the manufacturer should be required to say what kind of vegetable oil.

    The Tostitos Scoops I'm using to scoop up some chili right now are labeled thus...

    Ingredients: Corn, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Canola and/or Sunflower oil), and Salt.

    I think consumers (and researchers) should have the right to know what kind of oil was used to make these tortilla chips. Is it Canola oil? Or is it Sunflower oil? Or Both? I'd like to know because I'm not so convinced that Canola oil is all that fit for human consumption. That's why I'd like to know. And the label being so vague is also a hindrance to research regarding the long-term health effects of Canola oil on humans.

    And no more letting manufacturers weasel out of making the ingredients list complete and specific by just using the blanket terms "natural flavors" or "artificial flavors". That should stop too. They should be required to list exactly what those ingredients are.

    And another good change would be a requirement that the Nutrition Facts label provide the glycemic index of the product. This would be especially helpful to people like pbrauer who are suffering from diabetes or others who are struggling to control their blood sugar levels.
    Last edited by Muhammed; 03-03-14 at 05:51 PM.

  8. #108
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    And another good change would be a requirement that the Nutrition Facts label provide the glycemic index of the product. This would be especially helpful to people like pbrauer who are suffering from diabetes or others who are struggling to control their blood sugar levels.
    Since my wife is diabetic I decided to pursue this a little and from what I've read the glycemic index is so widely variable, not only from person to person and food to food but even within a specific food type, that any value assigned would be not just a little but woefully inaccurate. After your rant against %DV it's seems a little - uh - ODD that you would even consider such a thing.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  9. #109
    Sage
    MoSurveyor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Seen
    04-13-17 @ 04:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,985

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    And no more letting manufacturers weasel out of making the ingredients list complete and specific by just using the blanket terms "natural flavors" or "artificial flavors". That should stop too. They should be required to list exactly what those ingredients are.
    That's not going to happen, ever. Food companies are not going to give up their corporate secrets.
    Mt. Rushmore: Three surveyors and some other guy.
    Life goes on within you and without you. -Harrison
    Hear the echoes of the centuries, Power isn't all that money buys. -Peart
    After you learn quantum mechanics you're never really the same again. -Weinberg

  10. #110
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: will new food labels chage your eating habits?

    Somewhat related to this discussion...
    I read somewhere that the FDA says "Trans fat" could be listed as 0g on the nutrition info if the food 0.5g or less.
    I decided to check up on this, so:
    Guidance for Industry: <em>Trans</em> Fatty Acids in Nutrition Labeling, Nutrient Content Claims, Health Claims; Small Entity Compliance Guide
    How should trans fatty acids be listed?

    Trans fatty acids should be listed as "Trans fat" or "Trans" on a separate line under the listing of saturated fat in the nutrition label. Trans fat content must be expressed as grams per serving to the nearest 0.5-gram increment below 5 grams and to the nearest gram above 5 grams. If a serving contains less than 0.5 gram, the content, when declared, must be expressed as "0 g."
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •