View Poll Results: Are Western men becoming less masculine?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 41.18%
  • No

    22 43.14%
  • Meatloaf Sandwich

    8 15.69%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 106

Thread: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    I guess the men in the eastern world don't drink out of plastic cartons, they drink it right out of the donkey.
    Just make sure it's the female donkey.

  2. #62
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    An early blogger, immigrant to the US in 2003 bt the name of Kim du Toit, wrote an internet essay in 2003 which addressed this subject. It has garnered some fame over the years.

    The Pussification of the Western Male Common Sense Evaluation
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  3. #63
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    12-15-17 @ 10:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,323

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Just make sure it's the female donkey.
    Hey, that decision is above my pay grade.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  4. #64
    Noblesse oblige
    Ockham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    01-27-17 @ 07:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,909
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    deleted -- double post
    Last edited by Ockham; 02-28-14 at 12:51 PM. Reason: double post
    I think if Thomas Jefferson were looking down, the author of the Bill of Rights, on whats being proposed here, hed agree with it. He would agree that the First Amendment cannot be absolute. - Chuck Schumer (D). Yet, Madison and Mason wrote the Bill of Rights, according to Sheila Jackson Lee, 400 years ago. Yup, it's a fact.


  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So - after reading the new responses after my earlier post here's my 2nd opinion:

    #1: We're a fractured society. There is no longer one governing social / cultural body.
    #2: Masculinity and Feminity are concepts defined by a consensus of said social / cultural body - both change over time. Nothing these days reflects what it was 100 and 200 years ago (and so on).
    #3: If guy want to claim things are 'declining' they need to get together and come to an agreement on what masculinity *is* to begin with.

    I would prefer if guys don't resort to: fashion, entertainment options, choice of food and drink - because these are relatively insignificant overall and fluctuate widely decade to decade. Also: things like food seem to plant "masculine" as being "choosing anything that's unhealthy" like "beer and pizza."

    Let's see some form of accepted masculinity that: Doesn't side-line health, education, or morality.

    Because if it keeps taking the next rung down - and down - soon being 'masculine' is going to equal 'being in a biker gang' or 'being a street bum'

    It seems that, so far, the only thing some guys want to agree on are that 'masculine guys' have more 'muscle' or 'physical capabilities' - without factoring in things like 'only using your physical ability when it's necessary' . . . so that leaves things open: it can go all over from war hero to street thug, honestly.
    Typical female response. However, you're wrong.

    Testosterone affects the development of the brain, hence there is a biological argument here and not just a social argument.

    Some differences between a male and female brain which are due to testosterone either early in life as the brain develops, or as it acts on the brain continually:

    Size: the male human brain is, on average, larger.
    Risk tolerance: A study found a correlation between testosterone and risk tolerance in career choice
    Attention - ability to focus in on one task
    Memory - males have better memory
    Spatial Ability - testosterone affects the development of the area of the brain that controls spatial intelligence. Hence, males are better at it.

    - Preliminary evidence suggests that low testosterone levels may be a risk factor for cognitive decline and possibly for dementia of the Alzheimer's


    Further biological/brain related affects of testosterone:

    Aggression and criminality - Many studies have shown that males of all species are more aggressive than females, and males are more likely to commit crimes. Their involvement in crime usually rises in the early teens to mid teens, at the same time as testosterone levels rise. Castration of males usually has a pacifying effect on their aggressive behavior.

    Competition - Testosterone is known to make people more competitive.



    And so on. These things are all backed up by science. So let's see here..... I said that sports are a sign of masculinity. Gee, what are sports if not COMPETITIVE? And competition is a testosterone-driven trait.

    And so on.

  6. #66
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:21 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,312

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    Typical female response. However, you're wrong.

    Testosterone affects the development of the brain, hence there is a biological argument here and not just a social argument.

    Some differences between a male and female brain which are due to testosterone either early in life as the brain develops, or as it acts on the brain continually:

    Size: the male human brain is, on average, larger.
    Risk tolerance: A study found a correlation between testosterone and risk tolerance in career choice
    Attention - ability to focus in on one task
    Memory - males have better memory
    Spatial Ability - testosterone affects the development of the area of the brain that controls spatial intelligence. Hence, males are better at it.

    - Preliminary evidence suggests that low testosterone levels may be a risk factor for cognitive decline and possibly for dementia of the Alzheimer's


    Further biological/brain related affects of testosterone:

    Aggression and criminality - Many studies have shown that males of all species are more aggressive than females, and males are more likely to commit crimes. Their involvement in crime usually rises in the early teens to mid teens, at the same time as testosterone levels rise. Castration of males usually has a pacifying effect on their aggressive behavior.

    Competition - Testosterone is known to make people more competitive.



    And so on. These things are all backed up by science. So let's see here..... I said that sports are a sign of masculinity. Gee, what are sports if not COMPETITIVE? And competition is a testosterone-driven trait.

    And so on.
    I must be a moron. I thought it made men hornier, more aggressive with endurance and stamina. Why is that not menitioned?

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaveFagan View Post
    I must be a moron. I thought it made men hornier, more aggressive with endurance and stamina. Why is that not menitioned?
    It does. It does a lot more than what I mentioned, those were just a few examples I pulled from the google. Some people believe that men and women are exactly the same, aside from our obvious physical differences. I wanted to point out that the body of scientific evidence doesn't support this - that actually testosterone structurally changes the brain and therefore men and women are very different.

    These differences are what define masculinity and femininity, and it's NOT all culturally driven. Much of it is hard-wired. Take sports, for example. Sports are aggressive and competitive.... the BIOLOGICAL hallmarks of masculinity.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Also: things like food seem to plant "masculine" as being "choosing anything that's unhealthy" like "beer and pizza."
    First there's someone trying to claim that a toxic waste product like soy that causes all kind of damage to the body like mess up hormone levels, cause hypothyroidism and actually has even been shown to shrink your brain is good for you!

    Now we have you saying that healthy foods like pizza and beer are bad for your health!

    WTF?!? Is this opposite-land or are you people just incredibly uneducated about human nutrition?

  9. #69
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    First there's someone trying to claim that a toxic waste product like soy that causes all kind of damage to the body like mess up hormone levels, cause hypothyroidism and actually has even been shown to shrink your brain is good for you!

    Now we have you saying that healthy foods like pizza and beer are bad for your health!


    WTF?!? Is this opposite-land or are you people just incredibly uneducated about human nutrition?



    Anyone who doesn't enjoy beer and pizza ain't much of a man!

  10. #70
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Are men in the western world losing their masculinity?

    I think "metro sexual" says a lot. It's not a gender identity crisis, rather a switching away from traditional cultural traits, based on sex.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •