View Poll Results: We should be raising our daughters

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • like it's the 1700's - dependent and submissive

    3 3.03%
  • as princesses

    6 6.06%
  • no different than how we raise our sons

    17 17.17%
  • to be independent and strong individuals

    66 66.67%
  • squirrel ......

    7 7.07%
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 427

Thread: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

  1. #401
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    So if we take off the feminist propaganda glasses, Oprah transforms into one of the greatest villains in the last half century due to her taking a wrecking ball to women's lives and filling their heads up with nonsense which has been used to destroy millions of lives.
    Just FYI but her interpretation is not mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  2. #402
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It does, thank you. And IMO, it is parents and society's faults that women grow up that way. Teach your little girls to seek respect instead.

    Just IMO.
    I'm not going to try to turn her into something she's not. Little girls that are raised by loving fathers don't need to desperately seek love from any guy who will show them attention in between ignoring or mistreating them. Girls need respect like men need love, but it's not the primary focus.

  3. #403
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    I'm not going to try to turn her into something she's not. Little girls that are raised by loving fathers don't need to desperately seek love from any guy who will show them attention in between ignoring or mistreating them. Girls need respect like men need love, but it's not the primary focus.
    Well then we disagree.

    Love without respect is....well, not love.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  4. #404
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    Well then we disagree.

    Love without respect is....well, not love.
    You are confusing the lack of primary focus with a lack of presence. You are also incorrect, but that is a different topic.

  5. #405
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    You are confusing the lack of primary focus with a lack of presence. You are also incorrect, but that is a different topic.
    It was my opinion, yes, about love.

    However not about the primary focus. I guess it's my opinion but I believe it is socially/culturally created and a negative. As a matter of fact, I consider it demeaning to women. My dad has 4 daughters...and I know which he focused on....not that he ever verbalized it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  6. #406
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    It was my opinion, yes, about love.

    However not about the primary focus. I guess it's my opinion but I believe it is socially/culturally created and a negative. As a matter of fact, I consider it demeaning to women. My dad has 4 daughters...and I know which he focused on....not that he ever verbalized it.
    now we're back to talking in circles. Yes, all kids need to be taught to respect themselves via learning to respect others, make good choices, and achieve hard work. My point was only however that girls need more love, and boys need more respect compared to their need for the other item. Females are just more relational than men .

    However, it is possible to love that which you do not respect. I love people even when I do not respect them or what they do.

  7. #407
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    I can only offer my observation of family life, my own and those of people I'm close to. I've experienced and seen variants on this scene:

    "Daddy, do you love me?"
    "Oh, I do, I love you so much sweetie."

    "What I haven't seen is this:

    "Daddy, do you respect me?"
    "Oh, I do baby, I respect you a lot."

    With the boys, the communication between father and son isn't always as clear cut but the scenarios are pretty vivid:

    The father is immensely proud of his son. The son picks up on that and his chest puffs up and you just get the sense that he's getting it, he's ego is inflating.

    Fathers respect their daughters and love their sons, but what those boys and girls need to hear and what they respond to differ in scale.

  8. #408
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:37 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,890

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    now we're back to talking in circles. Yes, all kids need to be taught to respect themselves via learning to respect others, make good choices, and achieve hard work. My point was only however that girls need more love, and boys need more respect compared to their need for the other item. Females are just more relational than men .

    However, it is possible to love that which you do not respect. I love people even when I do not respect them or what they do.
    Absolutely. I love my dogs, I love my sisters. I do not necessarily respect them (esp. one sister).

    The love required in an intimate relationship is different. It's not like loving your brother or dog or even your parents. It requires equal status (not the same, equal) and respect. And that respect should in no way diminish the love. Because you are building a life together and possibly raising children to whom you need to pass on these values.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #409
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,490
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I can only offer my observation of family life, my own and those of people I'm close to. I've experienced and seen variants on this scene:

    "Daddy, do you love me?"
    "Oh, I do, I love you so much sweetie."

    "What I haven't seen is this:

    "Daddy, do you respect me?"
    "Oh, I do baby, I respect you a lot."

    With the boys, the communication between father and son isn't always as clear cut but the scenarios are pretty vivid:

    The father is immensely proud of his son. The son picks up on that and his chest puffs up and you just get the sense that he's getting it, he's ego is inflating.

    Fathers respect their daughters and love their sons, but what those boys and girls need to hear and what they respond to differ in scale.
    Ward? Ward Cleaver? Is that you?
    "I did not mean that Conservatives are generally stupid people. I meant that stupid people are generally Conservatives."
    -John Stuart Mill-

  10. #410
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,115

    Re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grand Mal View Post
    Ward? Ward Cleaver? Is that you?
    He's posting his experiences, and they seem to generally conform to the norm. How many children have you raised of either gender?

Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •