View Poll Results: We should be raising our daughters

Voters
99. You may not vote on this poll
  • like it's the 1700's - dependent and submissive

    3 3.03%
  • as princesses

    6 6.06%
  • no different than how we raise our sons

    17 17.17%
  • to be independent and strong individuals

    66 66.67%
  • squirrel ......

    7 7.07%
Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 427

Thread: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

  1. #161
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    It is not BS.

    It's absolutely ridiculous and the height of arrogance for people who don't even have kids to start giving advice about parenting. Not only that, it's annoying.

    In the first post you can tell that the OP doesn't have any kids because of the dumb questions.
    Actually, it's complete BS. I have no kids and in my profession I have not only been giving parenting advice for YEARS, but am highly sought after for assisting parents with managing their children. Sometimes a step back allows one to be less emotional about a situation and both more concrete and rational. Now, this is not to say that people who HAVE children can't be effective also... or ineffective for that matter.. But making some blanket assumption as you did has no basis in reality. We all have our experiences that shape how we can help others. The fact that each of us has BEEN a child and has BEEN parented helps to shape how we might parent or how we might advise others to parent.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  2. #162
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I have two children. Two DAUGHTERS.

    I've posted about them in this thread - which you've obviously FAILED to read.

    I don't believe you. If you have kids then how do you explain the dumb questions in the OP?

  3. #163
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    I don't believe you. If you have kids then how do you explain the dumb questions in the OP?
    These were rhetorical questions to spur debate. I think most people realized this.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Mecca
    Last Seen
    01-14-15 @ 07:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,426

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCourtesy View Post
    Actually, it's complete BS. I have no kids and in my profession I have not only been giving parenting advice for YEARS, but am highly sought after for assisting parents with managing their children.
    I certainly wouldn't seek your assistance. Do these people actually know that you don't have kids?

    For some reason a scene from "She's Out of Control" comes to mind. The one where Tony Danza finds out that the psychiatrist who has been giving him all the bad advice that backfired on him didn't have any kids.

  5. #165
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,802

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    I certainly wouldn't seek your assistance. Do these people actually know that you don't have kids?
    Then you'd be missing out on some expert advise and counsel. And yes, they know.

    For some reason a scene from "She's Out of Control" comes to mind. The one where Tony Danza finds out that the psychiatrist who has been giving him all the bad advice that backfired on him didn't have any kids.
    Since the advice and counsel I give is golden in many ways, your analogy is irrelevant.

    You don't seem to understand the nature of psychotherapy. One does not need to experience the same situation in order to be helpful. As long as one can connect to the feelings and the situation in some way... and is TRAINED, one can be just as helpful, if not MORESO than someone who has had the same experiences.
    Last edited by CaptainCourtesy; 02-27-14 at 07:36 AM.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  6. #166
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammed View Post
    It is not BS.

    It's absolutely ridiculous and the height of arrogance for people who don't even have kids to start giving advice about parenting. Not only that, it's annoying.

    In the first post you can tell that the OP doesn't have any kids because of the dumb questions.
    Heh. The worst advice I ever got was from people who were parents themselves. Good thing I was smart enough to not listen to their tripe seeing as how bad their own kids turned out compared to mine .

    Being a parent is not a guarantee that you know what you're doing. Look at their kids first. They're generally the best clue as to whether or not the parents are worth a damn.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  7. #167
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    Why do you say we when talking to your daughter? I make sure I never do that with my son.

    Why do you incoude yourselves in what she needs to do or not do?
    because she is two and she can hardly do much on her own at this point. so, we (gf and I) will not refill her juice until certain criteria are met, such as being out of juice.

    If you want to let a two year old boy refill his juice cup, because its crap that you wouldn't do with a son, then have fun cleaning up the spills.

  8. #168
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    because she is two and she can hardly do much on her own at this point. so, we (gf and I) will not refill her juice until certain criteria are met, such as being out of juice.

    If you want to let a two year old boy refill his juice cup, because its crap that you wouldn't do with a son, then have fun cleaning up the spills.
    I thought you meant you say things like "we don't watch TV after 8 o'clock" or something like that. When it is something the child must do or a rule for the child, I say he has to do it and not we.

  9. #169
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by Mason66 View Post
    I thought you meant you say things like "we don't watch TV after 8 o'clock" or something like that. When it is something the child must do or a rule for the child, I say he has to do it and not we.
    No

    I am careful to maintain an authoritative relationship at a child that age

  10. #170
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,483

    re: How We Raise Our Daughters - 21st Century [W:87,158,368]

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    No

    I am careful to maintain an authoritative relationship at a child that age
    Good. I never liked the idea of talking to children like they are little idiots. I think it is counter productive.

Page 17 of 43 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •