View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 95 of 164 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697105145 ... LastLast
Results 941 to 950 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #941
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Psychology Today:

    A 2000 paper published in American Law and Economics Review and authored by Margaret F. Brinig and Douglas W. Allen reports data (Table 1, p. 128) from several studies across the United States and spanning more than 100 years (1867 to 1995) regarding the percentage of instances where the woman had filed for divorce. Based on the figures reported in Table 1, I calculated that women had initiated the divorce in 68.9% of all cases.
    But why? and what is the relevancy?
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  2. #942
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    The Apostle Paul may or may not have been a misogynist, but we'll never uncover the truth via recourse to that same 'indirectness' you claim to eschew.
    My guess is that he was concerned with the survival of the church. With members being killed left and right, and churches being wiped out, it was best if the women could not be directly indicted, thus allowing the church to survive.

  3. #943
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I noted above that this goes on, but it's hard to pin it down. There's no need to strip women of moral agency though. Women can do bad things, like getting divorces, and they don't need to pin the blame on men. We don't allow men to pin the blame for wife-beating on the wives, do we? Even if the wife is a harridan, the husband who strikes her is at fault. A woman who blows up a marriage is responsible for the destruction even if the man did something bad but wanted to continue with the marriage.

    Regardless, there is the phenomenon of clueless men being surprised by the divorce. The fact that they're clueless about the divorce suggests that they were clueless about the wife's unhappiness leading up to the divorce. Still, it's female fickleness in play here - these guys weren't Prince Charming but they weren't wife beaters either.

    . . . that women seemed more in tune with the danger signs of a problem marriage. Men were more likely to be caught off-guard by their divorce, with 26 percent of men saying they "never saw it coming," . .

    "The idea of an older man leaving his wife for a younger woman is ingrained in the American psyche—and that has created a misconception about divorce,"
    Yeah of course, each divorce has its individual reasons, and I'd say it's virtually impossible to judge from the outside who's to blame in many individual cases, let alone making general statements.

    However, if we were to invoke biological-determinist explanations, it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume that it's the biological drive of men to look for new, younger, fertile mating partners once their old partner has reached an age when breeding becomes unlikely and accordingly, physical attractiveness decreases. Right?
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  4. #944
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Oh, if it's the scripture you're concerned about, suffice to say I'm not a "white knight" or anything of that kind, but respect God's word as revealed by Baha'u'llah.
    I never called you a White Knight. Benighted perhaps, but no less engaging for it.

    No, to qualify for that honorifc (sarcastically or otherwise), you'd have to be fully aware of what you were getting yourself into.

  5. #945
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Okay, that's interesting. However, this legal argumentation doesn't allow any conclusions regarding the reasons. Well possible that these women just initiated divorce because their hudbands were openly cheating on them, even having open affairs with younger women, yet didn't find it necessary to end their old marriages. In that case, the moral blame would be with said husbands.
    I would also add that men will avoid divorce to protect themselves financially.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  6. #946
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    I never called you a White Knight. Benighted perhaps, but no less engaging for it.

    No, to qualify for that honorifc (sarcastically or otherwise), you'd have to be fully aware of what you were getting yourself into.
    Ah, good to know you know very well what other people think and intend, even better than themselves... but don't expect many other kids playing with you when you show that attitude.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  7. #947
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Yeah of course, each divorce has its individual reasons, and I'd say it's virtually impossible to judge from the outside who's to blame in many individual cases, let alone making general statements.
    Same with family violence? Hey, let's not draw any general conclusions from the overwhelming amount of data. It's all individual cases and we can't learn anything about patterns of male violence from just individual data.

    I don't understand the reluctance to make general inferences if those inferences cast women in a bad light. Why deny women moral agency?

    However, if we were to invoke biological-determinist explanations, it wouldn't be far-fetched to assume that it's the biological drive of men to look for new, younger, fertile mating partners once their old partner has reached an age when breeding becomes unlikely and accordingly, physical attractiveness decreases. Right?
    We can speak to male desire - lots of old dudes would love to be banging young, hot chicks, but as they say, it takes two to tango and those hot, young chicks aren't really into balding, pot-bellied, flabby, old-man-smelling, dudes. So, in most cases male desires can't be realized.

    When those desires are realized it's because the man has something exceptional to offer a younger woman. Exceptional men are only a small category of all men.

    What we do know is that men seem more reluctant to commit to a marriage than women. We also know that women are more quick to fall out of love after a marriage, hence the divorces. The flipside is that once men commit to a marriage they're more inclined to stay committed than women.

  8. #948
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by ecofarm View Post
    My guess is that he was concerned with the survival of the church. With members being killed left and right, and churches being wiped out, it was best if the women could not be directly indicted, thus allowing the church to survive.
    He was a product of his time. The Church was by no means the only detractor of any paganism that preceded Christianity; only its most vocal and ruthless vehicle. I'd be surprised if his attitude weren't the norm for that place and time. Imagine trying to live up to Jesus. That guy was so radical they tortured and murdered him.

  9. #949
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,413

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    He was a product of his time. The Church was by no means the only detractor of any paganism that preceded Christianity; only its most vocal and ruthless vehicle. I'd be surprised if his attitude weren't the norm for that place and time. Imagine trying to live up to Jesus. That guy was so radical they tortured and murdered him.
    Nonetheless, my point about the survival of churches is legit. There was a real need to arrange survivors.

  10. #950
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Ah, good to know you know very well what other people think and intend, even better than themselves... but don't expect many other kids playing with you when you show that attitude.
    I've no need to grope around in the dark, when you all but beat me to death with signposts. I work and play well with others. In fact, to such an extent that I've been accused of being indirect.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •