View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 94 of 164 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596104144 ... LastLast
Results 931 to 940 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #931
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Parzival? Sorry, I'm no fan of Wagner, or Germanic myths in general. However, I wasn't aware that "femis" played a role in any pieces of art older than 50 years.

    So if you want to tell me something, maybe you could do it directly, please? (I was told that's a masculine trait somewhere else.)
    Were you similarly informed that directness withers under conditions of partiality? I only ask because either you're fearless in the face of indoctrination, or you're so haplessly beguiled that what you misconstrue as being directness is merely sychophancy.

    Also, do you know of any way I might disable Spell Check? It annoys me greatly, being that it's an illiterate submoron with a hatred of Anglicised spelling. I figured you might know, being a Mod and all.

  2. #932
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I take him to be making a reference to the phenomenon known as "white knighting" - guys who ride to the defense of women who are being criticized by men and saving them.

    Loads of guys love to side with feminists and their vapid arguments in hopes of scoring. Too bad for these guys that most women only see these men as friends and focus their sexual interest on men who aren't so cringeworthy. White knighting is such a pathetic strategy and it even fails the internal logic of feminism - why would women need a man to come to their aid when they are debating other men. That's an insult to the woman, but these white knights are clueless, which probably goes a long way to explaining why they believe in white knighting as a tactic.
    Sounds to me like a stupid invention of sexist male debaters to silence down males who don't share their opinions with a totally stupid strawman in-joke/reference/mocking narrative. Because without doubt, in their eyes, any expression of opinion of non-sexist males cannot serve any other purpose than "supporting feminists", which is totally patronizing towards such males and their opinions.

    Now of course it may be beyond the imagination of certain males that other males actually appreciate women on eyelevel.

    There's a saying that goes the "dark night of fascism is always descending in the United States and yet lands only in Europe" and there should be a similar saying about the threat of genetic determinist explanations always being invoked but it's always the environmental determinist arguments which are considered.

    I've not seen one genetic argument which completely discounts the role of environment but I've been inundated with arguments which presuppose that everything can be explained by environment alone.
    No idea what you're getting at here, but I think it's a no-brainer that both causes play a role, to different extent in different cases.

    I'm not so sure that this describes the totality of the divorce universe. Maybe there is a cultural aspect in play here, but here in the US some 70% of divorces are initiated by women, most men are completely blindsided that the marriage has actually failed, and the most common reason for divorce is that the wife feels unloved. Sure, there is abuse, sure there is infidelity, sure there are men leaving their wives for younger women. Female fickleness though is a significant factor here, perhaps the counterpart to male resistance to commit prior to a marriage.
    Do you have reliable sources for these claims?
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  3. #933
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Were you similarly informed that directness withers under conditions of partiality? I only ask because either you're fearless in the face of indoctrination, or you're so haplessly beguiled that what you misconstrue as being directness is merely sychophancy.

    Also, do you know of any way I might disable Spell Check? It annoys me greatly, being that it's an illiterate submoron with a hatred of Anglicised spelling. I figured you might know, being a Mod and all.
    Again, I have no idea what you're talking about.

    And no, English is not my first language. Please forgive spelling errors and bad writing style.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  4. #934
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Again, I have no idea what you're talking about.

    And no, English is not my first language. Please forgive spelling errors and bad writing style.
    Your English is fine. I was referring to Spell Check, not you.

  5. #935
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Do you have reliable sources for these claims?
    Psychology Today:

    A 2000 paper published in American Law and Economics Review and authored by Margaret F. Brinig and Douglas W. Allen reports data (Table 1, p. 128) from several studies across the United States and spanning more than 100 years (1867 to 1995) regarding the percentage of instances where the woman had filed for divorce. Based on the figures reported in Table 1, I calculated that women had initiated the divorce in 68.9% of all cases.

  6. #936
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Psychology Today:

    A 2000 paper published in American Law and Economics Review and authored by Margaret F. Brinig and Douglas W. Allen reports data (Table 1, p. 128) from several studies across the United States and spanning more than 100 years (1867 to 1995) regarding the percentage of instances where the woman had filed for divorce. Based on the figures reported in Table 1, I calculated that women had initiated the divorce in 68.9% of all cases.
    Okay, that's interesting. However, this legal argumentation doesn't allow any conclusions regarding the reasons. Well possible that these women just initiated divorce because their hudbands were openly cheating on them, even having open affairs with younger women, yet didn't find it necessary to end their old marriages. In that case, the moral blame would be with said husbands.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  7. #937
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Your English is fine. I was referring to Spell Check, not you.
    Okay.

    So since I can only guess where you're coming from, I'd just like to add a few general statements: No, the world isn't decisionist and you don't have to take sides, but can easily stand for yourself. An opinion is not invalid because it's mainstream or zeitgeist, as it can be well thought-through, just like a non-zeitgeist opinion has no merit just because it's unconventional; in times of a progressive zeitgeist, conservative or reactionary opinions are just atifacts of a past zeitgeist that was just as mainstream at some point, and equally unoriginal. Rebellion in itself has no value.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  8. #938
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Okay.

    So since I can only guess where you're coming from, I'd just like to add a few general statements: No, the world isn't decisionist and you don't have to take sides, but can easily stand for yourself. An opinion is not invalid because it's mainstream or zeitgeist, as it can be well thought-through, just like a non-zeitgeist opinion has no merit just because it's unconventional; in times of a progressive zeitgeist, conservative or reactionary opinions are just atifacts of a past zeitgeist that was just as mainstream at some point, and equally unoriginal. Rebellion in itself has no value.
    I'm not concerned with the inevitability of ideological inertia.

    Never mind. Don't sweat it. The Apostle Paul may or may not have been a misogynist, but we'll never uncover the truth via recourse to that same 'indirectness' you claim to eschew.

  9. #939
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Okay, that's interesting. However, this legal argumentation doesn't allow any conclusions regarding the reasons. Well possible that these women just initiated divorce because their hudbands were openly cheating on them, even having open affairs with younger women, yet didn't find it necessary to end their old marriages. In that case, the moral blame would be with said husbands.
    I noted above that this goes on, but it's hard to pin it down. There's no need to strip women of moral agency though. Women can do bad things, like getting divorces, and they don't need to pin the blame on men. We don't allow men to pin the blame for wife-beating on the wives, do we? Even if the wife is a harridan, the husband who strikes her is at fault. A woman who blows up a marriage is responsible for the destruction even if the man did something bad but wanted to continue with the marriage.

    Regardless, there is the phenomenon of clueless men being surprised by the divorce. The fact that they're clueless about the divorce suggests that they were clueless about the wife's unhappiness leading up to the divorce. Still, it's female fickleness in play here - these guys weren't Prince Charming but they weren't wife beaters either.

    . . . that women seemed more in tune with the danger signs of a problem marriage. Men were more likely to be caught off-guard by their divorce, with 26 percent of men saying they "never saw it coming," . .

    "The idea of an older man leaving his wife for a younger woman is ingrained in the American psyche—and that has created a misconception about divorce,"

  10. #940
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    I'm not concerned with the inevitability of ideological inertia.

    Never mind. Don't sweat it. The Apostle Paul may or may not have been a misogynist, but we'll never uncover the truth via recourse to that same 'indirectness' you claim to eschew.
    Oh, if it's the scripture you're concerned about, suffice to say I'm not a "white knight" or anything of that kind, but respect God's word as revealed by Baha'u'llah.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •