View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 93 of 164 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #921
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Someone's not getting laid, probably.
    Yeah, probably those attempting to curry favour with the femis. We know they're easy, but one shouldn't take advantage. Hey, we've all slummed it at one time or another, but let's not go out of our way to celebrate our indiscretions.

  2. #922
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Yeah, I read that too somewhere: Males are more represented among the extremes on both ends. Also when it comes to intelligence: The greatest genies and worst idiots are more often male than female.

    However, I'm not sure what conclusions that allows to draw from.
    The conclusion: when we see sex variance in the social realm, never assume that this is ALWAYS due to socialization.

  3. #923
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Oh, and in my observation, the most common reason for divorce were males not capable of committing themselves. My parents' generation is a living stereotype of guys who got a midlife crisis, abandoning and divorcing their wifes and children to marry some 15 years younger secretary, leaving behind their bitter wifes.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  4. #924
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Yeah, probably those attempting to curry favour with the femis. We know they're easy, but one shouldn't take advantage. Hey, we've all slummed it at one time or another, but let's not go out of our way to celebrate our indiscretions.
    What are you talking about again?
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  5. #925
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    The conclusion: when we see sex variance in the social realm, never assume that this is ALWAYS due to socialization.
    Sure. However, it's just as misleading to assume it must ALWAYS be because of nature. Only intensive study can help solving that question.

    My guess is that in most cases, both factors are involved to some extent.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  6. #926
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    What are you talking about again?
    Parzival, mein Herr. I thought you'd appreciate the reference. A little taste of home, as it were.

    You hate Ms Magdalene too, don't you? So did Eschenbach for that matter.

  7. #927
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    I agree with most of what you say, I'd just like to say that I've met feminists (two in particular, a female and a male) who were a bit ideologically dense IMO, insofar as I had the impression they're generalizing too much. That said, I totally agree with the vision of people valuing other humans as humans first, regardless of gender, and I think traditional gender roles are nothing but the personal, individual choice of consenting adults.

    Just having become a father of a little daughter, I tend to say that bringing up a child is a difficult task that's hard enough to do for two parents, and one alone certainly has a major disadvantage. However, this only means effectively "one alone" in practize, not necessarily a certain family model: When the husband leaves the upbringing entirely up to the mother, she's factually alone. And a single mom isn't factually alone, when she has grandparents supporting her, and/or gay flatmates, etc.

    I'd just argue that raising a kid is a hard job that's better done by more than just one person, and that children need stable environments. The exact constallation, however, I don't think is so important. IMO.

    Applause! Couldn't agree more. Marriage shouldn't be a matter of vastly uneven power distribution, or even "prostitiution" of some kind. It should ideally be on eyelevel between both partners, who, like adults, together share responsibilities and roles.

    Congratulations on becoming a father.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #928
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    Parzival, mein Herr. I thought you'd appreciate the reference. A little taste of home, as it were.

    You hate Ms Magdalene too, don't you? So did Eschenbach for that matter.
    Parzival? Sorry, I'm no fan of Wagner, or Germanic myths in general. However, I wasn't aware that "femis" played a role in any pieces of art older than 50 years.

    So if you want to tell me something, maybe you could do it directly, please? (I was told that's a masculine trait somewhere else.)
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  9. #929
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    What are you talking about again?
    I take him to be making a reference to the phenomenon known as "white knighting" - guys who ride to the defense of women who are being criticized by men and saving them.

    Loads of guys love to side with feminists and their vapid arguments in hopes of scoring. Too bad for these guys that most women only see these men as friends and focus their sexual interest on men who aren't so cringeworthy. White knighting is such a pathetic strategy and it even fails the internal logic of feminism - why would women need a man to come to their aid when they are debating other men. That's an insult to the woman, but these white knights are clueless, which probably goes a long way to explaining why they believe in white knighting as a tactic.

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Sure. However, it's just as misleading to assume it must ALWAYS be because of nature. Only intensive study can help solving that question.

    My guess is that in most cases, both factors are involved to some extent.
    There's a saying that goes the "dark night of fascism is always descending in the United States and yet lands only in Europe" and there should be a similar saying about the threat of genetic determinist explanations always being invoked but it's always the environmental determinist arguments which are considered.

    I've not seen one genetic argument which completely discounts the role of environment but I've been inundated with arguments which presuppose that everything can be explained by environment alone.

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    Oh, and in my observation, the most common reason for divorce were males not capable of committing themselves. My parents' generation is a living stereotype of guys who got a midlife crisis, abandoning and divorcing their wifes and children to marry some 15 years younger secretary, leaving behind their bitter wifes.
    I'm not so sure that this describes the totality of the divorce universe. Maybe there is a cultural aspect in play here, but here in the US some 70% of divorces are initiated by women, most men are completely blindsided that the marriage has actually failed, and the most common reason for divorce is that the wife feels unloved. Sure, there is abuse, sure there is infidelity, sure there are men leaving their wives for younger women. Female fickleness though is a significant factor here, perhaps the counterpart to male resistance to commit prior to a marriage.

  10. #930
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,445

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    I take him to be making a reference to the phenomenon known as "white knighting" - guys who ride to the defense of women who are being criticized by men and saving them.

    Loads of guys love to side with feminists and their vapid arguments in hopes of scoring. Too bad for these guys that most women only see these men as friends and focus their sexual interest on men who aren't so cringeworthy. White knighting is such a pathetic strategy and it even fails the internal logic of feminism - why would women need a man to come to their aid when they are debating other men. That's an insult to the woman, but these white knights are clueless, which probably goes a long way to explaining why they believe in white knighting as a tactic.
    Hahaha

    So much demonization and ignorance in one paragraph. Impressive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •