View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 83 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593133 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #821
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    This is an aspect of the culture I'm not very familiar with. I never joined in for that sort of thing, going straight from university to professional school and by then married. And I didn't live in an area where this kind of thing was very active, or at least it was my impression.

    Of the people who do this sort of thing how many form lasting relationships?
    I know plenty who have

  2. #822
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So would it be "ideal" then to segregate children into boys only classes, and girls only classes, and have the boys taught by men, and the gitrls taught by women?

    Not being sarcastic here..... but I think you'll find that there are probably more men teaching kids now than there was 60 years ago. At least in the primary school age range.

    I'm just not buying into the idea that there's a massive male-discrimination thing happening.

    Men/boys are not victims.
    No one said they were "victims." Just that the school system, the way it is set up, is not ideal for boys to excel in.

  3. #823
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Of the people who do this sort of thing how many form lasting relationships?
    The particular people I have in mind I somewhat know, a clique of about half a dozen, around 30 years old, have not had a relationship that lasted longer than 2 years so far, if they had any at all. Of course that's anecdotical evidence, but I don't think they untypical for the Berlin club scene. I've superficially met others who are 40 already and still consider it the main purpose of their lives to go clubbing and drinking whenever they have a free moment, desperately trying to hide their age.
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  4. #824
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by German guy View Post
    The particular people I have in mind I somewhat know, a clique of about half a dozen, around 30 years old, have not had a relationship that lasted longer than 2 years so far, if they had any at all. Of course that's anecdotical evidence, but I don't think they untypical for the Berlin club scene. I've superficially met others who are 40 already and still consider it the main purpose of their lives to go clubbing and drinking whenever they have a free moment, desperately trying to hide their age.
    Meh, we have the same people here. I think there are probably lonely people in their 20s, 30s and 40s and older everywhere in the world.

  5. #825
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,521

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No one said they were "victims." Just that the school system, the way it is set up, is not ideal for boys to excel in.
    But the school system is pretty much an unchanged dinosaur. So you're saying it worked fine in the 50's for boys, but now it doesn't?

    I'm not saying there isn't a lot wrong with the educational system in the USofA - I just don't see that it's slanted more heavily against boys than girls.

  6. #826
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So would it be "ideal" then to segregate children into boys only classes, and girls only classes, and have the boys taught by men, and the gitrls taught by women?

    Not being sarcastic here..... but I think you'll find that there are probably more men teaching kids now than there was 60 years ago. At least in the primary school age range.

    I'm just not buying into the idea that there's a massive male-discrimination thing happening.

    Men/boys are not victims.
    Neither am I - not for a second.


    The OP theory sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.

  7. #827
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,551
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    I thought it was Obama we were supposed to be blaming!
    No, but he hasn't helped a bit. Yet another liberal who wants to play sugar daddy to all the women folk. Women emerge liberated and become independent only to become dependent on The Man? Maybe you saw the Life of Julia before the Obama campaign took it down. I can't see how any strong and intelligent person would endorse it. It spawned a number of parodies. A summary is here.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #828
    Sage
    Dragonfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Coast - USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:52 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    15,521

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    No one said they were "victims."
    I thought the entire premise of this thread was a whiny "men are victims" rant of pathetic proportions?

  9. #829
    Sage
    German guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Berlin, Germany
    Last Seen
    08-24-17 @ 06:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    5,187

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    No, but he hasn't helped a bit. Yet another liberal who wants to play sugar daddy to all the women folk. Women emerge liberated and become independent only to become dependent on The Man? Maybe you saw the Life of Julia before the Obama campaign took it down. I can't see how any strong and intelligent person would endorse it. It spawned a number of parodies. A summary is here.
    Well I dunno. I like that my wife and I are on eyelevel rather than I am being the one who gives the orders and takes all the decisions. It's also our plan that I will do the main part of raising the kid(s), while she's making her PhD. Not because she forced me, or anything, it was simply a no-brainer because I love kids and she's much more ambitious than I am. So we're not exactly a "classical" couple. Yet she's never mocked my masculinity nor did I ever feel oppressed. We simply make decisions on eyelevel. :/
    "Not learning from mistakes is worse than committing mistakes. When you don't allow yourself to make mistakes, it is hard to be tolerant of others and it does not allow even God to be merciful."

  10. #830
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,551
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    So would it be "ideal" then to segregate children into boys only classes, and girls only classes, and have the boys taught by men, and the gitrls taught by women?

    Not being sarcastic here..... but I think you'll find that there are probably more men teaching kids now than there was 60 years ago. At least in the primary school age range.

    I'm just not buying into the idea that there's a massive male-discrimination thing happening.

    Men/boys are not victims.
    The number of men teaching in elementary schools is pretty small. There has been a lot of talk about increasing the number of male teachers, but there has been no movement or change in the percentages for the last 10 years. I suspect this is because of push back from the women administrators and teachers. Some women regard men interested in teaching as sexual predators.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •