View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 31 of 164 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181131 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 310 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #301
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,404

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    If I was single and it was legal, why not?
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  2. #302
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    It's just that I'm only compatible with a person who, in all likelihood, does not exist. The biggest deal breakers I have encountered is that I am uncompromising in not wanting children, and that I'm bat**** crazy. I'm guessing it's mostly the fact that I'm bat**** crazy.
    That's one of the nice things about being my age- there is no question of new kids entering the picture.
    That is one of the issues that my son is dealing with, though. He was divorced a few years ago (not by his own choice, but because she thought the grass was greener), and he really struggled to find it within himself to trust women again. He did manage to come across a young woman who is a great match for him- she's intelligent, funny, warm, and beautiful, and she can hold her own against him. He didn't really want any more children, but she is in her late 20's, and her ovaries are apparently calling, so he will compromise on that issue because he loves her, and he understands that in some women the instinct to be a mother is strong, and she will likely be excellent at it.

    I figure that most of us have our idiosyncrasies that can make us hard to live with, or turn people off for the most part. For myself, it's probably my tendency to say whatever I think, rather than what always sounds appropriate and mild-mannered. A good many men don't seem to want to deal with frankness. It turns them off.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #303
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    Those are jokes, not real attitudes.
    I understand they are jokes and are designed to make people laugh and tune in. The point is that it is safer to laugh at men than women because men will not get offended as easily. I certainly don't mind jokes about men because I'm quite comfortable being a man and wouldn't want it any other way.

    It is women who usually complain about their 'image' through the media whereas men are generally secure and don't really care about that. This is an observation I'm making and not a complaint. Perhaps your attitude might change if the butt was usually women, or you might want to watch more closely..

  4. #304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Yes, the days of fat, rude slobs who make decent money always being able to find a woman are quickly fading...and a good thing for society too.
    Ummm... No, they're not.

    Those kinds of men are making out like bandits like they always have. The ones who are getting shafted here, by and large, are young men who are either more average in terms of success, or who have not had the opportunity to professionally establish themselves.

    What our society is currently witnessing is basically the first steps towards something like what's going on in Japan right now. Men and women are gradually drifting apart, and society is suffering for it.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-25-14 at 12:38 PM.

  5. #305
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Your Star View Post
    That's the perception, that treating women equally is equal to disrespecting men. Which is just not true, which is why the OP's premise is faulty.
    I honestly don't understand this perception. Men don't even treat other men equally, much less women, because we aren't all equal. Respect is different.

    Some examples might help.

  6. #306
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,669

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Well, now take that and match it to all the television couples you see. As a culture, we do not encourage men to be men anymore, but instead seem to celebrate models of marriages in which "strong independent women" do, in fact, often dominate their husbands, or are constantly wiser than their husbands, etc. so on and so forth. If the old model was Leave It To Beaver, the new model is The Simpsons.
    I dont know. I guess there are caricatures out here in real life but I dont associate with them. I have one foot solidly in the liberal high tech world professionally and one foot solidly in a the rural western lifestyle. Two opposites and in neither do I see any men *with brains* being minimized or not being 'men.' They are pretty different but they are 'men' and respected and in healthy...and not-so-healthy...relationships all the same. I dont hang out with alot of twenty-somethings but the people I do hang out with see TV and movies as just that...fiction. And they do not attempt to emulate that, they see it for the (mostly crappy) entertainment it is. And they dont teach their kids that either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  7. #307
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    We're just finally waking up to the truth that women are like DVDs - cheaper to rent than to buy.

  8. #308
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:11 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,669

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    We're just finally waking up to the truth that women are like DVDs - cheaper to rent than to buy.
    Shotgun weddings are fairly uncommon these days...I dont know why men are getting married then. No one's making them.

    But I think one point of the OP is that there are no good (American) women out there to marry...so men want to marry, just not...<fill in the blank>.

    Apparently because women with the same opportunties and choices as men make some men feel less like men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  9. #309
    Educator
    Michael Johnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Unknown
    Last Seen
    04-29-15 @ 08:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Yup, being raped and bred to death and sold like livestock sounds great.
    Cherry picking from history, are you?

    Although most men didn't get a great deal either. Patriarchy also helps justify treating non-wealthy men as essentially cannon fodder.
    Most men did benefit from patriarchy, no matter your socialist agenda towards wealthy men. Men got to have good paying jobs, kept their families intact, and didn't have to worry about their women becoming self-entitled to every asset and luxury they never worked a day in their lives for. As is the case with today's modern woman.

    The only people who truly benefitted from patriarchy are wealthy men,
    You're beating a dead horse about wealthy men and it shows your complete denial of history.
    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word 'freedom' out of your vocabulary. - El-Hajj Malik El-Shabazz

  10. #310
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    But I think one point of the OP is that there are no good (American) women out there to marry...so men want to marry, just not...<fill in the blank>.

    Apparently because women with the same opportunties and choices as men make some men feel less like men.
    I would suggest there are very few decent American women left out there to marry. It took me almost 25 years of searching to find one myself, and I ended up finding a wonderful hispanic woman. I hadn't found a caucasian woman who was even an option in the last 10-12 years. Some of us have certain expectations about what a wife is supposed to be and we're just not willing to compromise on those ideals.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •