View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 162 of 164 FirstFirst ... 62112152160161162163164 LastLast
Results 1,611 to 1,620 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #1611
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    The arguments presented in this thread seem to show that believing that respect for tradition is a moral value leads on to engage in all sorts of circular reasoning to justify their beliefs: Tradition is a moral value, if you don't accept that it is, then you are a liberal and thus lack the capacity to recognize that tradition is a moral value.
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  2. #1612
    Pragmatist
    SouthernDemocrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    KC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,400

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    More like this: Conservatives are evil and rational while liberals are dumb and emotional.
    Most scientists are fairly liberal while most deeply religious people tend to be conservative. That kind of throws out your whole "most conservatives are rational" argument. Moreover, some of the most emotionally charged arguments I have ever seen on Debate Politics were when a social conservative was defending their religious beliefs, cultural views, and arguing against what they saw as "naturalism".
    "You're the only person that decides how far you'll go and what you're capable of." - Ben Saunders (Explorer and Endurance Athlete)

  3. #1613
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    In the case of PBS or google, a liberal model works better as there is a need for creativity and out of the box thinking. In the case of IBM, a more conservative model makes sense.
    PBS is doctrinaire liberal and there's nothing creative about following doctrine. It's like rebellious teenagers who want to be different, so what they do is they all follow the leads of their peers. A truly rebellious teenager, thinking outside of the box, would choose to follow an Amish lifestyle or something, not be a goth, not be casting a wide net to find a homosexual teenager who he could append to his social circle to use as a badge of his own enlightenment.

    Google and IBM are in the same boat - they need to innovate and offer solutions. If you're looking for a truly revolutionary business, W. L. Gore & Associates probably fits the bill - no job titles, people are hired and then expected to develop their own job title and responsibilities. That's very far removed from traditional practices.

    Without the willingness to break from tradition we would have never changed our models and never developed (except perhaps technologically) from a social organization perspective. I.E. we would still exist within tribes.
    There's nothing wrong, a lot right, about breaking with tradition but that doesn't imply that every break with tradition is beneficial and it's this distinction which seems lost on many liberals. Here's Chesterton:

    In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.”This paradox rests on the most elementary common sense. The gate or fence did not grow there. It was not set up by somnambulists who built it in their sleep. It is highly improbable that it was put there by escaped lunatics who were for some reason loose in the street. Some person had some reason for thinking it would be a good thing for somebody. And until we know what the reason was, we really cannot judge whether the reason was reasonable. It is extremely probable that we have overlooked some whole aspect of the question, if something set up by human beings like ourselves seems to be entirely meaningless and mysterious. There are reformers who get over this difficulty by assuming that all their fathers were fools; but if that be so, we can only say that folly appears to be a hereditary disease. But the truth is that nobody has any business to destroy a social institution until he has really seen it as an historical institution. If he knows how it arose, and what purposes it was supposed to serve, he may really be able to say that they were bad purposes, that they have since become bad purposes, or that they are purposes which are no longer served. But if he simply stares at the thing as a senseless monstrosity that has somehow sprung up in his path, it is he and not the traditionalist who is suffering from an illusion.

  4. #1614
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    Did you ever notice that there was a big rush to enlist to fight in WWII? Vietnam, no rush to enlist. So it depends on why a war is being fought.
    WWII had a huge propaganda machine and people were generally brainwashed into believing they had a duty to serve the state. On the note brainwashing, people need to realize there is a difference between raising a child to not harm others, and changing how a child thinks which can change how they are as a person. One is a matter of a code of conduct, and the other is a form of tyranny. Of course, saying that I believe you should empower the natural traits of children and it's why I don't believe in the idea of raising both sexes the same.

    The above are good observations.
    I've said for a while now that those that desire to use the state to control people and assume control over their property are the same people that will bring about the end of anarchy and establish a governance by inflicting violence on the people.

  5. #1615
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    WWII had a huge propaganda machine and people were generally brainwashed into believing they had a duty to serve the state. On the note brainwashing, people need to realize there is a difference between raising a child to not harm others, and changing how a child thinks which can change how they are as a person. One is a matter of a code of conduct, and the other is a form of tyranny. Of course, saying that I believe you should empower the natural traits of children and it's why I don't believe in the idea of raising both sexes the same.



    I've said for a while now that those that desire to use the state to control people and assume control over their property are the same people that will bring about the end of anarchy and establish a governance by inflicting violence on the people.

    Perhaps....you forgot or were never aware of Dec. 7th, or the a place called Pearl Harbor?

    People tend to get angry and protect their future when it is at risk.

  6. #1616
    Sage
    RiverDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    04-20-14 @ 02:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,039

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    Most scientists are fairly liberal while most deeply religious people tend to be conservative.
    My Ph.D is in a science. So what that most scientists are liberal. The fallacy underlying your argument is that most really smart and rational people end up as scientists. See here:

    Those who do not go on to graduate school are drawn atypically from the upper tail of the GRE quantitative distribution and the lower tail of the GRE verbal distribution, both of which are expected to raise their earnings. On the other hand, those who go on to graduate school are drawn disproportionately from the lower tail of the quantitative GRE distribution and from the upper tail of the GRE verbal distribution, both of which lower their opportunity costs of graduate school.

    Deeply religious people tend to be conservative. Yeah, that's only if we use a restrictive definition of what constitutes religion. Look at the deep convictions of liberals and environmentalists - they sure mirror the religious people in the depth of their beliefs in superstitions.

  7. #1617
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    Perhaps....you forgot or were never aware of Dec. 7th, or the a place called Pearl Harbor?

    People tend to get angry and protect their future when it is at risk.
    Which is actually a poor point to bring up since the story behind Pearl Harbor told by the US government was a falsehood.

  8. #1618
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Which is actually a poor point to bring up since the story behind Pearl Harbor told by the US government was a falsehood.
    .....Okay....I think I understand where you come from now.


    Have fun stormin' the castle!

  9. #1619
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    PBS is doctrinaire liberal and there's nothing creative about following doctrine. It's like rebellious teenagers who want to be different, so what they do is they all follow the leads of their peers. A truly rebellious teenager, thinking outside of the box, would choose to follow an Amish lifestyle or something, not be a goth, not be casting a wide net to find a homosexual teenager who he could append to his social circle to use as a badge of his own enlightenment.

    Google and IBM are in the same boat - they need to innovate and offer solutions. If you're looking for a truly revolutionary business, W. L. Gore & Associates probably fits the bill - no job titles, people are hired and then expected to develop their own job title and responsibilities. That's very far removed from traditional practices.
    Your second paragraph is good feedback. However, your desire to attack in the first paragraph does not warrant a response. I am trying to have a serious discussion please. Poisoning the water with that kind of crap is useless and counter productive.

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    There's nothing wrong, a lot right, about breaking with tradition but that doesn't imply that every break with tradition is beneficial and it's this distinction which seems lost on many liberals. Here's Chesterton:

    In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.”This paradox rests on the most elementary common sense. The gate or fence did not grow there. It was not set up by somnambulists who built it in their sleep. It is highly improbable that it was put there by escaped lunatics who were for some reason loose in the street. Some person had some reason for thinking it would be a good thing for somebody. And until we know what the reason was, we really cannot judge whether the reason was reasonable. It is extremely probable that we have overlooked some whole aspect of the question, if something set up by human beings like ourselves seems to be entirely meaningless and mysterious. There are reformers who get over this difficulty by assuming that all their fathers were fools; but if that be so, we can only say that folly appears to be a hereditary disease. But the truth is that nobody has any business to destroy a social institution until he has really seen it as an historical institution. If he knows how it arose, and what purposes it was supposed to serve, he may really be able to say that they were bad purposes, that they have since become bad purposes, or that they are purposes which are no longer served. But if he simply stares at the thing as a senseless monstrosity that has somehow sprung up in his path, it is he and not the traditionalist who is suffering from an illusion.
    I would agree with this. Again, too much emphasis on liberalism can be a problem.

  10. #1620
    Doesn't go below juicy
    tacomancer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cleveland
    Last Seen
    05-20-16 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    31,781

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverDad View Post
    More like this: Conservatives are evil and rational while liberals are dumb and emotional.



    As is the hyperfeminism of the Nordic States, as was the Communism of the USSR/China/Warsaw pact, as was the Eurosocialism of the pre-Thatcher UK.
    Are you able to respond as an adult?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •