View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 131 of 164 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #1301
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:51 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,671

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    If given the chance to re-marry would you marry (another) American woman?

    Increasingly the answer is "no".

    Men are increasingly disrespected by American women. They face extreme economic and social disadvantages in family law that makes it possible for a wife to divorce them and take most of what they have including their children for any reason or no reason. They are constantly told that they are worthless and stupid. Disrespect for men has become standard practice. Men are disrespected by their wives – they’re disrespected publicly, they’re disrespected privately, they’re disrespected and then told that they have no right to be upset about it because they aren’t worthy of respect in the first place.

    Disrespect of men is a joke to Americans now.

    The result has been that men are increasingly dropping out of society. They don't marry, they don't go to college because they see no reason to break their humps to get ready to provide for a family -- they aren't going to be having a family.

    Lots has been written about this phenomena, most of it in the strain of "why is it that men are so childish now." But men are not dropping out because of arrested development. They are acting rationally in response to myriad laws, attitudes and hostility against them for the crime of happening to be male in the twenty-first century.

    Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters: Helen Smith: 9781594036750: Amazon.com: Books

    Men are subjected to so much pain and humiliation that they only earn 1.30 for every 1.00 a woman earns! That's an outrage. Clearly men should be making millions of times more, maybe even a bajillion million times more.

  2. #1302
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    I would be genuinely surprised to find out that men are, on the whole, any more controlling than women are. There may be a difference in the manner of expressing it (women may tend to be more passive-aggressive), but I doubt there is a significant difference in the actual numbers.
    I'm pretty sure that ALL statistics would disagree with your personal assessment. This is just Captain Obvious stuff. Men will use their "higher paying income" and their "brute physical strength" to their advantage, but if a woman uses her "feminine wiles" then she is bad, very bad.

    Not to mention the obvious here as well, but have you been reading some of the posts? I really don't understand your "us against them" attitude, especially seeing as how YOU are a woman, allegedly. It's mind-boggling to say the least.
    Last edited by ChrisL; 03-06-14 at 03:49 PM.

  3. #1303
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post

    Not to mention the obvious here as well, but have you been reading some of the posts? I really don't understand your "us against them" attitude, especially seeing as how YOU are a woman, allegedly. It's mind-boggling to say the least.
    Omg,
    Yes, Chris, I've been lying all this time, and am actually a man. Jesus H Christ.

    It is not mind-boggling (or at least it shouldn't be) to imagine that men and women both use whatever is at their disposal to get what they want in a relationship, which in people who have emotional or mental issues, seems to be rather common. I honestly haven't met men who are bossy and controlling of women- perhaps it's a difference between southern and northern women which explains it- southern women tend to be pretty straightforward and go for what they want-I'm really not sure. I grew up in a very traditional environment, in which men were usually the breadwinners, and women were wives and mothers. That being said, the women I grew up around are among the strongest women I've ever known. I don't know any of them who are subservient to their male counterparts. In fact, they tend to be a bit on the sassy and adventurous side.

    Oh, and I'm not "against" anyone. I am contributing my own thoughts and observations to the thread, as I assume most of us do.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  4. #1304
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Omg,
    Yes, Chris, I've been lying all this time, and am actually a man. Jesus H Christ.

    It is not mind-boggling (or at least it shouldn't be) to imagine that men and women both use whatever is at their disposal to get what they want in a relationship, which in people who have emotional or mental issues, seems to be rather common. I honestly haven't met men who are bossy and controlling of women- perhaps it's a difference between southern and northern women which explains it- southern women tend to be pretty straightforward and go for what they want-I'm really not sure. I grew up in a very traditional environment, in which men were usually the breadwinners, and women were wives and mothers. That being said, the women I grew up around are among the strongest women I've ever known. I don't know any of them who are subservient to their male counterparts. In fact, they tend to be a bit on the sassy and adventurous side.
    Well, I apologize lizzie, but geez you seem to always be on the side of the guys and seem to think that women are jerks. Sure, these people exist, both genders, but you make it sound as if ALL men are like the ones you know, and that is just not the case. Your own personal experiences aside, I think it is more likely to occur in more "traditional" types of households.

    If a woman WANTS to stay home and raise kids and clean the house, that's one thing, but if she chooses to not do those things then that is fine too, and it doesn't make her any less of a woman because of her choices. We, as woman, don't have to feel pressured into those types of relationships if that is not what we want for ourselves.

    Personally, I might have gone for a relationship like that when I was in my teens and 20s perhaps, but now not so much. I wouldn't want to be dependent upon another person for my money. I want to have my own money and my freedom, and I'm really not all that keen on having any more babies at 35 years old.

  5. #1305
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, I apologize lizzie, but geez you seem to always be on the side of the guys and seem to think that women are jerks. Sure, these people exist, both genders, but you make it sound as if ALL men are like the ones you know, and that is just not the case. Your own personal experiences aside, I think it is more likely to occur in more "traditional" types of households.
    No, I did not say that ALL men are like the ones I know. I said that out of the men I know, none of them try to tell their wives what to do. As I said, maybe it's a cultural difference between the part of the country that I am in, and the part that you are in. Women here tend to be a little on the assertive and bitchy side, and even if they are stay-at-home moms, they direct their own lives, and typically run the household finances as well.

    I don't need to take sides to realize that this issue gets used in order to make women feel like victims. I don't personally buy into the victimhood mentality. I feel perfectly empowered in my own life, and if a man can't handle that, then he can't handle me. There is no victimhood in my mind, as it is within my own power to live as I wish. Anyone who cedes their own personal power does so of their own volition. Very rare are the instances where marriage is forced upon anyone, and in fact, the singular case I know of personally was a friend of mine who is an immigrant to this country, and after she came here, she divorced his ass.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  6. #1306
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    No, I did not say that ALL men are like the ones I know. I said that out of the men I know, none of them try to tell their wives what to do. As I said, maybe it's a cultural difference between the part of the country that I am in, and the part that you are in. Women here tend to be a little on the assertive and bitchy side, and even if they are stay-at-home moms, they direct their own lives, and typically run the household finances as well.

    I don't need to take sides to realize that this issue gets used in order to make women feel like victims. I don't personally buy into the victimhood mentality. I feel perfectly empowered in my own life, and if a man can't handle that, then he can't handle me. There is no victimhood in my mind, as it is within my own power to live as I wish. Anyone who cedes their own personal power does so of their own volition. Very rare are the instances where marriage is forced upon anyone, and in fact, the singular case I know of personally was a friend of mine who is an immigrant to this country, and after she came here, she divorced his ass.
    I said that's how you make it sound, but anyway I think this is more related to personality types. I think the types of guys who would go for more traditional types of relationships would naturally tend to be more on the "controlling" side.

    That might not be necessarily a "bad" thing depending on what a person wants in life I suppose. I don't know anything about the culture where you live, but I would imagine that more than one type of people exist there too. I think everyone (or at least most people) CAN be assertive and bitchy at times, but there is a difference between that and controlling IMO.

  7. #1307
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,049

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    One condition that I have is that I verify nationality by checking a woman's passport prior to asking her out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  8. #1308
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm pretty sure that ALL statistics would disagree with your personal assessment. This is just Captain Obvious stuff. Men will use their "higher paying income" and their "brute physical strength" to their advantage, but if a woman uses her "feminine wiles" then she is bad, very bad.

    Not to mention the obvious here as well, but have you been reading some of the posts? I really don't understand your "us against them" attitude, especially seeing as how YOU are a woman, allegedly. It's mind-boggling to say the least.
    I think the idea is more that men and women "control" relationships in different ways.

    Men are more direct, straight forward, and prone to overt displays of power. Women, on the other hand, are subtle, passive-aggressive, and sometimes even manipulative in the power they exert.

    As long as it's not taken to extremes, there really isn't any problem with this per se. I don't have any problem with a woman "holding her own" in a relationship so long as she's not a harpy about it and is in some sense feminine.

    I just tend to not get on very well with women who favor a more masculine approach.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Personally, I might have gone for a relationship like that when I was in my teens and 20s perhaps, but now not so much. I wouldn't want to be dependent upon another person for my money. I want to have my own money and my freedom,
    To be fair here, Chris, don't you work from home already, and weren't you working that job for at least a portion of the period of time when you were living with your ex, who worked outside of the house?

    That's basically a modified version of the "traditional model" which allows a woman to earn her own money while still being able to "play mother" for her children right there.

    In this regard, I think a lot of people tend to misunderstand what the "traditional model" actually is. (For persons other than Tigger, anyway) It's more of a general strategy than a set way of doing things.

    My mother, for instance, chose to stay home. However, it's hardly like she was locked in the house beholden to my father, or spent all of her time eating bonbons, cooking, and cleaning.

    Most of the time, she was teaching my siblings and I, planning field trips, or putting together curriculum for us to use. That basically was her "career" while we were growing up, and it was pretty much completely hers. Other than to provide an occasional lesson on some subject in which he was particularly knowledgeable at my mother's request, my father played little to no role in this whatsoever.

    I'm really not all that keen on having any more babies at 35 years old.
    I can certainly understand that.

    Ironically though, having children into one's thirties and forties seems to rapidly be becoming the "new normal" in our society, at least for middle and upper class demographics. Many "career women" aren't even having their first children until at least 35 these days.

    I don't know if that's a good idea, per se, but it is something we're seeing more and more.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I said that's how you make it sound, but anyway I think this is more related to personality types. I think the types of guys who would go for more traditional types of relationships would naturally tend to be more on the "controlling" side.
    How "controlling" a person happens to be really kind of depends upon their personality.

    My father and I are a lot alike in this regard, actually. We're both very opinionated in terms of how things should be done under ideal or theoretical circumstances, and both rather "dominant" in terms of personality. However, we're far more easy going and laissez-faire when it comes to practical application than our initial attitudes might suggest.

    My father simply didn't care enough to try and "dictate" what anyone in the house did in absolute terms, much less enforce it day in and day out.

    He's was muuuuch too lazy for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    Omg,
    Yes, Chris, I've been lying all this time, and am actually a man. Jesus H Christ.

    It is not mind-boggling (or at least it shouldn't be) to imagine that men and women both use whatever is at their disposal to get what they want in a relationship, which in people who have emotional or mental issues, seems to be rather common. I honestly haven't met men who are bossy and controlling of women- perhaps it's a difference between southern and northern women which explains it- southern women tend to be pretty straightforward and go for what they want-I'm really not sure. I grew up in a very traditional environment, in which men were usually the breadwinners, and women were wives and mothers. That being said, the women I grew up around are among the strongest women I've ever known. I don't know any of them who are subservient to their male counterparts. In fact, they tend to be a bit on the sassy and adventurous side.

    Oh, and I'm not "against" anyone. I am contributing my own thoughts and observations to the thread, as I assume most of us do.
    This is growing to be less true over time, but I do think that Southern culture tends to be generally more "traditional" than most of the rest of the country. This reality does manifest itself in our approach to relationships in a lot of cases as well.

    While our women are a lot more classically "feminine" than those from other regions, it would be a mistake to view them as being push overs because of this.

    As many a broken hearted country song can attest, they can be downright evil when they want to be.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 03-06-14 at 11:53 PM.

  9. #1309
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,745

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    One condition that I have is that I verify nationality by checking a woman's passport prior to asking her out...
    Why is this important?
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

  10. #1310
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,049

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by The Mark View Post
    Why is this important?
    I have standards...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •