View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 117 of 164 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119127 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #1161
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by KevinKohler View Post
    Presumably, the person I marry is someone I love.

    I would hazard a guess that the fact that I love them would be the primary factor when deciding to marry...and I'll crawl out on a limb and suggest that someone who takes into account other criteria (like nationality or ethnicity) and places their priority higher than love is likely a future divorcee.
    I think that you are being nave if you think that some righteous criteria led you to "love". The criteria may not be as crass as nationality or ethnicity but still includes such irrelevancies (or bigotries) as shared values and beliefs, comparable physicality, similar career aspirations, intelligence, etc.

  2. #1162
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by tacomancer View Post
    LOL. The woman I am with is VERY submissive. To the point, early on in the relationship, I would constantly stop and ask if she was ok with things because she never spoke up and then questioned her response, because she never spoke up. It took me a little while to realize she simply trusts me and our dynamic is the way she prefers it and she is capable of speaking up if she wants, but prefers to remain submissive and quiet.

    Would I make gathomas' mistake to such a girl, even to the point that this is the sort of thing he is looking for and thinks women should be? HELL NO.
    I like women with some sass, humor and quirkiness but also reasonable and intelligent. Beyond that, I'm not saying anymore, because honestly, life is a mess and we're all just doing the best we know how.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  3. #1163
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And? Do you find her to be more "submissive" than the American women you've dated?
    NO. But we have been divorced for quite awhile now. I don't think she was able to handle being married to a military person who was deployed and doing missions as much as I was at the time. Common thing, especially among low density-high utilization career fields.

    She acted "traditionally" in some ways, but her, and other asian women I've known, can be very assertive and controlling when a man enters or acts inside her "domain". With my deployment rates at the time, no way could I have married a "submissive" who was dependent. Many of those cultures, the women are "submissive" only because the males can legally beat the **** out of them otherwise, without that threat, they are no more submissive on average than any other women.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  4. #1164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    NO. But we have been divorced for quite awhile now. I don't think she was able to handle being married to a military person who was deployed and doing missions as much as I was at the time. Common thing, especially among low density-high utilization career fields.

    She acted "traditionally" in some ways, but her, and other asian women I've known, can be very assertive and controlling when a man enters or acts inside her "domain". With my deployment rates at the time, no way could I have married a "submissive" who was dependent. Many of those cultures, the women are "submissive" only because the males can legally beat the **** out of them otherwise, without that threat, they are no more submissive on average than any other women.
    That is terribly sad, and I would agree that would definitely play a role in why they would be more submissive than in a country where domestic violence is illegal.

  5. #1165
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric7216 View Post
    I think that you are being nave if you think that some righteous criteria led you to "love". The criteria may not be as crass as nationality or ethnicity but still includes such irrelevancies (or bigotries) as shared values and beliefs, comparable physicality, similar career aspirations, intelligence, etc.
    Meh, I disagree. IMO, if I like a person, I can work around those things I think. I don't need a MENSA candidate as long as it's a person I have things in common with, can laugh with and can have a reasonable conversation with.

  6. #1166
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Sure. A man doesn't have to oversee everything in a relationship like a power mad dictator to be a "take charge" kind of guy. That'd just make him an OCD control freak.

    As I said before, it's generally a lot more fluid than that, and shouldn't require any real thought on the part of either partner.

    Men and women simply tend to naturally exert more control over certain aspects of a relationship than the opposite gender.



    I have absolutely no doubt that it happens. I just think it is a lot more rare than the reverse.



    :

    I think I could dominate you Gathomas! You might even like it. Lol!

  7. #1167
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I think I could dominate you Gathomas! You might even like it. Lol!
    You can certainly try.

  8. #1168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Gathomas made the tragic, error of youth in telling a group of women what their role should/could be in a relationship with men. I wouldn't touch that one with a ten foot pole.
    Well, no. Not really. I commited the cardinal sin of describing things how they actually are in an overly direct manner.

    Again, all politically correct assertions to the contrary aside, I have seen absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that a relationship dynamic favoring a more interpersonally assertive male and a somewhat less interperssonally assertive female is not the norm under most circumstances.

    As S&M's example attests, even very aggressive women tend to prefer men who are at least equal in assertiveness to themselves, and often times even more so.

    The same simply cannot be said of most men.

    It is what it is, and I don't see any reason to quibble around "P.C." sensibilities on the issue.

  9. #1169
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    You can certainly try.
    I probably wouldn't have to try TOO hard.

  10. #1170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I probably wouldn't have to try TOO hard.
    Only one way to find out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •