View Poll Results: Men: Would you marry an American Woman?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    72 70.59%
  • No

    23 22.55%
  • Does not apply to me.

    7 6.86%
Page 105 of 164 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1640

Thread: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?[W:771]

  1. #1041
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I don't think saying that women "need to be lead" would be the right way to look at things here. I think it's more the case that men simply tend to have more assertive personalities than women, and a mindset more focused on the practical concerns that tend to go into being an effective protector and provider.

    Women tend to appreciate those qualities in men. They also often aren't focused on the same things in life as men anyway. Where more material matters are concerned, at least, this often leads women to allow men to play more "dominant" roles in male / female relationships.

    Again, however; I think it would be a mistake to say that this means that women are without a will of their own, or that men have complete control.

    It's ultimately a partnership. It simply happens to be the case that the male and female members of that partnership contribute in different ways more often than not. Men tend to focus on the more material aspects of maintaining the partnership, while women focus more on maintaining the emotional bonds represented by the relationship itself.
    But you said that women want to be led. That is what you said. Now how do they want or need to be led? In what ways? You keep saying that women like it, but where is your evidence of this?

    I understand that men and women might have different needs from the relationship, but that is not one having more control or "leading" the other.

  2. #1042
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    I don't think it's about *leadership* and *having someone else make all the decisions for you*
    I think what most people want is a relationship in which both people either share responsibilities - or it balances out in some fashion. Ultimately: no one wants to marry a bum, a shiftless nobody who does nothing. Everyone wants to be with someone who: A) Upholds their 'end of the deal' (whatever that may be), B) Is relatively stable, not too clingy or needy. Both men and women are drawn to individuals who are not overly reliant. Men and women both declare a lack of 'personal insecurity' and 'a lack of self confidence' to be major put-offs for any relationships.

    All in all: both men and women want a partner who is capable, stable, and reliable. I've never heard someone say otherwise, even those who are dominant and want a submissive. They still want her to be confident and capable of something.
    Exactly. It is a partnership. It simply happens to be a partnership which men and women approach with very different goals in mind and to which they bring very different strengths and weaknesses.

    More often than not, men do tend to take a more "dominant" role in the relationship for that reason. However, it would be a mistake to assume that this means that men's authority is, or ever was, absolute.

    Women exert strong influence as well. They simply tend to do so in different areas, by different means.

    I also agree with regards to personal competence. I actually prefer a capable and intelligent woman to a push over. I don't even necessarily mind a "feisty" woman either.

    I'm simply not fond of women with domineering personalities.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 03-01-14 at 06:34 PM.

  3. #1043
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Exactly. It is a partnership. It simply happens to be a partnership which men and women approach with very different goals in mind and to which they bring very different strengths and weaknesses.

    More often than not, men do tend to take a more "dominant" role in the relationship for that reason. However, it would be a mistake to assume that this means that men's authority is, or ever was, absolute.

    Women exert strong influence as well. They simply tend to do so in different areas, by different means.

    I also agree with regards to personal competence. I actually preferable a capable and intelligent women to a push over. I don't even necessarily mind a "feisty" woman either.

    I'm simply not fond of women with domineering personalities.
    I think all this is reliant upon the people involved in the relationship. YOU don't like domineering personalities and that's fine, but you don't speak for everyone, and certainly less traditional relationships can also be successful because those people are not you.

  4. #1044
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    Dude, who else is going to give you the time of day except women who are already pre-disposed to dealing with your attitude on relationships? For all we know, you and I have met at some point, but I wouldn't factor into your experience because I would sooner eat my hand than get in a relationship with someone who has such contrary beliefs to myself. You can't make statements about all women based on who you've dated when, obviously, someone who doesn't like your view wouldn't date you.
    Are you going to deny that men generally tend to be more dominant in heterosexual relationships, and that relationships with that balance reversed often wind up running into problems on a long term basis?

    It's really telling that a woman who doesn't fit your model of submissiveness is "bossy," but if you do it, it's the way things should be, and apparently how all women want it to be.
    A person's "bossiness" is determined independently of their gender.

    The simple fact of the matter is that I don't mix particularly well with domineering personality types. Unless we're talking about a boss / employee type relationship, most men don't.

    A lot of women, on the other hand, actually prefer men who are able to take a dominant role in a relationship.

    Duh. And yet you kind of desire it in a woman...
    Not at all. As I told AuntSpiker, I find a wide variety of women desirable. I can handle, shy, intelligent, or even feisty personalities without a problem.

    "Bossiness," however; simply isn't a trait that I find to be particularly feminine.

    And I hate all this "head versus neck" talk. It means nothing. It's a hollow consultation to soften the blow of basically saying that you expect to get your way because you, as the man, simply know better, and any decent woman should know that you know better and go with it. It's like when parents let their child hold a wrench so they can pretend they're helping fix the sink, and then pat them on the head and go, "Aren't you the best little plumber? Yes, you are!" Don't patronize women, please. We're not stupid.
    "If mommy's not happy, no one's happy."

    Sound familiar?

    Even in male dominant relationships, women hold a great deal of power and influence. A woman who is dissatisfied with the state of her marriage is fully capable of tearing a family apart.

    It is in a man's best interests to respect her input and opinions as such.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well geez, for someone who is so young and still practically a newlywed, you sure seem to an AWFUL lot about women and what they want. You must have been QUITE the stud when you were available on the dating scene since you know us women SO well. Lol! What makes you think your personal experience count anywhere except in your own mind?

    Also, how many times, when you wife says "you pick" and you pick Chinese, does she say, "well, I'm not really in the mood for Chinese tonight."? Hmmmmm?
    Ummm... Chris, CP really isn't all that young (he's all of 5 years younger than you, if even that).

    No offense or anything, but you've also never been married, and you're single right now.

    Again, no offense, but what you posted above is kind of a weak criticism of his point and you know it.

    Also, didn't we already say that women often exert influence even in male dominated relationships, but that it simply happens to be in more subtle ways than men?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    But you said that women want to be led.
    I said that most women tend to prefer dominant men who are willing and able to take the lead when necessary.

    You keep saying that women like it, but where is your evidence of this?
    Common cultural knowledge? The opinions of most of the women in this thread?

    I don't think I've seen a single woman come forward so far saying that they actually prefer submissive men.

    How many men, on the other hand, complain about domineering women?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I think all this is reliant upon the people involved in the relationship. YOU don't like domineering personalities and that's fine, but you don't speak for everyone, and certainly less traditional relationships can also be successful because those people are not you.
    It might very well be my personal preference. However, my preference in this regard is also the preference of most of the male population.

    Again, I'm not really sure how you can try to deny the fact that most women tend to prefer "assertive" men who take more dominant roles in relationships.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 03-01-14 at 07:28 PM.

  5. #1045
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Are you going to deny that men generally tend to be more dominant in heterosexual relationships, and that the reverse often winds up running into problems on a long term basis?

    A person's "bossiness" is determined independently of their gender.

    The simple fact of the matter is that I don't mix particularly well with domineering personality types. Most men don't.

    A lot of women, on the other hand, actually prefer men who are able to take a dominant role in a relationship.

    Not at all. As I told AuntSpiker, I find a wide variety of women desirable. I can handle, shy, intelligent, or even feisty without personalities without a problem.

    "Bossiness," however; simply isn't a trait that I find to be particularly feminine.

    "If mommy's not happy, no one's happy."

    Sound familiar?

    Even in male dominant relationships, women hold a great deal of power. A woman who is dissatisfied with the state of her marriage is fully capable of tearing a family apart.

    It is in a man's best interests to respect her input and opinions.
    I wouldn't deny it's a trend for a society full of self-hating women on the whole, but I don't see this consistently reflected in people who are not self-hating, or insecure.

    I see everything. All over the map. Some happen to fall into your traditional notions of relationships, at least externally. Many do not. Some are completely egalitarian. Some are not, and have each partner taking control of some aspects -- sometimes the complete reverse of what is "traditional." I see as many different arrangements as there are people, and I see no real difference in longevity.

    You're talking out both sides of your mouth, here. You want to be in control, and think all men should be in control, but of course "mommy" has input sufficient to change the course. The classic soothing pile of BS. Which is it?

  6. #1046
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeAndMirrors View Post
    I wouldn't deny it's a trend for a society full of self-hating women on the whole, but I don't see this consistently reflected in people who are not self-hating, or insecure.

    I see everything. All over the map. Some happen to fall into your traditional notions of relationships, at least externally. Many do not. Some are completely egalitarian. Some are not, and have each partner taking control of some aspects -- sometimes the complete reverse of what is "traditional." I see as many different arrangements as there are people, and I see no real difference in longevity.
    Again, men taking more dominant roles in relationships is the norm. It is the norm is basically every society on Earth where the institution of marriage can be observed to exist.

    There are exceptions to this rule, of course; but I don't see how you can try to deny that it is, in fact, the rule in the first place.

    I also don't see any evidence whatsoever to suggest that "self-hating" on the part of women has anything to do with it either.

    You're talking out both sides of your mouth, here. You want to be in control, and think all men should be in control, but of course "mommy" has input sufficient to change the course. The classic soothing pile of BS. Which is it?
    It's both. Men tend to be the material head of the household, but, barring some sort of abusive relationship where the man basically holds her hostage, the household really cannot function without the consent and effort of the wife.

    It is a partnership. It simply happens to be a partnership where both parties involved play different roles.

  7. #1047
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    [QUOTE=Gathomas88;1062985676]
    Ummm... Chris, CP really isn't all that young (he's all of 5 years younger than you, if even that).

    No offense or anything, but you've also never been married, and you're single right now.

    Again, no offense, but what you posted above is kind of a weak criticism of his point and you know it.
    Blabbity-blah-blah, gobbity gook. There is nothing wrong with my criticism of his point. And I thought he was like around your age.

    Also, didn't we already say that women often exert influence even in male dominated relationships, but that it simply happens to be in more subtle ways than men?
    So you are saying that women really are the bosses?

    I said that most women tend to prefer dominant men who are willing and able to take the lead when necessary.
    There you go again, thinking you know how most women think. Annoying.


    Common cultural knowledge? The opinions of most of the women in this thread?

    I don't think I've seen a single woman come forward so far saying that they actually prefer submissive men.

    How many men, on the other hand, complain about domineering women?
    Huh? Plenty of women come forward complaining about their domineering husbands. Nobody should be dominating in the relationship. It's supposed to be a partnership of love and mutual respect. Nobody is supposed to rule over another. That's a parent/child relationship, not a spouse/spouse relationship.


    It might very well be my personal preference. However, my preference in this regard is also the preference of most of the male population.

    Again, I'm not really sure how you can try to deny the fact that most women tend to prefer "assertive" men who take more dominant roles in relationships.
    More blabbity-blah-blah. I don't see how you can say the things you do. You can't know how everyone else thinks.

  8. #1048
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Blabbity-blah-blah, gobbity gook. There is nothing wrong with my criticism of his point. And I thought he was like around your age.
    It was pretty weak either way regardless.

    So you are saying that women really are the bosses?
    In a way, yes. Again, women are ultimately the gate keepers of sex and reproduction.

    A household also cannot really function without the compliance of the wife.

    It's a partnership. Men may tend to be more dominant in raw material terms, but this does not mean that women do not also wield essential power and influence.

    There you go again, thinking you know how most women think. Annoying.
    I haven't seen any evidence whatsoever to suggest I'm wrong.

    A man who cannot serve as a protector or provider, or is submissive to his woman, is mocked and ridiculed by men and women alike.

    Is the same true of the reverse situation?

    Huh? Plenty of women come forward complaining about their domineering husbands. Nobody should be dominating in the relationship.
    And those same women will then turn right around and talk about how they could never be with a man that let them have too much power in a relationship because they would "walk all over them."

    I think a lot of women doth protest too much.

    It's supposed to be a partnership of love and mutual respect. Nobody is supposed to rule over another. That's a parent/child relationship, not a spouse/spouse relationship.
    We're not talking about "rule" here, Chris. We're taking about a partnership where each member plays a different role.

    Men are more assertive than women on average, and women are naturally wired to find assertive men attractive in the first place, so men simply tend to be a bit more dominant in heterosexual relationships as a matter of default. Again, this doesn't mean that women do not have a will of their own, or even that they are at a disadvantage to men.

    It simply means that men and women approach these kinds of relationships differently.

    There's nothing wrong with that.

    More blabbity-blah-blah. I don't see how you can say the things you do. You can't know how everyone else thinks.
    I can observe general trends. It would seem to be pretty obvious that male dominant relationships are a lot more common than the female dominant variety.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 03-01-14 at 07:54 PM.

  9. #1049
    Sage
    SmokeAndMirrors's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    RVA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,170

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, men taking more dominant roles in relationships is the norm. It is the norm is basically every society on Earth where the institution of marriage can be observed to exist.

    There are exceptions to this rule, of course; but I don't see how you can try to deny that it is, in fact, the rule in the first place.

    I also don't see any evidence whatsoever to suggest that "self-hating" on the part of women has anything to do with it either.

    It's both. Men tend to be the material head of the household, but, barring some sort of abusive relationship where the man basically holds her hostage, the household really cannot function without the consent and effort of the wife.

    It is a partnership. It simply happens to be a partnership where both parties involved play different roles.
    That's true in the majority of low-to-mid-quality agricultural societies, but it's split or sometimes non-existent in non-agricultural societies, and in the most advanced agricultural societies. Also, women were the primary "bread winners" in more natural states, as in, they were the ones providing the majority of the sustenance, so you're wrong there too.

    In our societies, where we are correcting the imbalance slowly but surely to return to what is actually a more natural state through sheer force of technological will, we are gradually seeing much more diversity in how people "do" relationships. As I just said to CP in another thread, it will take time for social attitudes to catch up. So yes, it is absolutely an issue of women having little self-respect, in many cases. Womens' self-esteem is still extremely low in America, on the whole, and this is borne out by study after study after study.

    In other societies that are further along than we are, or in our own with women who are more self-possessed, I see an endless mix and match of dynamics. And it might surprise you to know that I myself am actually not an egalitarian. How that breaks down for me is not convenient to typify -- some aspects are superficially "traditional," and others are blatantly not so. But I don't prefer pure egalitarianism. I think this is common to personalities like mine; extremely proficient in some areas, but lopsided.

    What you promote is a dynamic which can never be "consensual" when applied to 50% of the population en masse, because it requires the woman to lack independent sustainability in the most basic survival sense, whereas the man is completely capable in this regard. An individual couple can make this decision themselves, based on trust and knowing their personal dynamic, but to apply it society-wide is an inevitable recipe for abuse, which we have seen from the unfortunate "glory days" you pine for.

    When applied to a society, it is not a partnership in any sense. It is women as servants.

  10. #1050
    Sporadic insanity normal.


    The Mark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 11:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    19,736

    Re: Men: Would You Marry an American Woman?

    Perhaps it's the norm because it's the norm.
    Education.

    Sometimes I think we're alone. Sometimes I think we're not. In either case, the thought is staggering. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •