View Poll Results: Legalize it?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, recreational marijuana should be legal

    73 84.88%
  • Only medicinal marijuana should be allowed

    3 3.49%
  • No, don't do it.

    6 6.98%
  • Justin Bieber looks just like Miley Cyrus

    4 4.65%
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 127

Thread: Should marijuana be legal?

  1. #51
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I just came back from Colorado, where recreational marijuana is legal. Would you like to see it in your state? Why or why not?
    Yes, it should be legal. It is likely that most of us know someone directly or indirectly that uses it. If it remains illegal, it fuels the violence in Mexico, and criminalizes a substantial portion of the US population. If it becomes legal, people will flock to buy it (even if it costs more) because it is legal. I do think, however, it should be regulated and controlled. That means a reliable means to test for it at traffic stops, taxed to generate income, suitable ages for consumption, etc. Additionally, a public service campaign to sway public opinion against it should be generated just like there is for alcohol and tobacco.

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    My serious pot-smoking days are behind me but...now and then....do you know if there are any cafes where you can smoke it socially? I went with my best friend to Amsterdam about 15 years ago and we met all sorts of interesting people who were amenable to conversation. If there are such things, I think I'll take a trip to CO this summer and recreate some.
    I asked the same thing when I was there.

    No, it's only meant to be consumed in the privacy of your own home for the time being. I'm pretty sure the cafe's are coming though, just need to take things one step at a time. Colorado is kind of the national experiment right now. Once people realize that the world isn't going to end just because a few people are smoking out, the laws will relax more and more. It's only a matter of time.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    The anals of history
    Last Seen
    07-25-15 @ 02:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    10,348

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by SBu View Post
    Yes, it should be legal. It is likely that most of us know someone directly or indirectly that uses it. If it remains illegal, it fuels the violence in Mexico, and criminalizes a substantial portion of the US population. If it becomes legal, people will flock to buy it (even if it costs more) because it is legal. I do think, however, it should be regulated and controlled. That means a reliable means to test for it at traffic stops, taxed to generate income, suitable ages for consumption, etc. Additionally, a public service campaign to sway public opinion against it should be generated just like there is for alcohol and tobacco.
    The difference in quality between the legal stuff and the illegal stuff they import by the brick from Mexico is staggering. It's worth paying the premium.

    I doubt you can even find illegal Mexican weed in Colorado anymore.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Port Jarvis NY
    Last Seen
    03-22-14 @ 02:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    1,039

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    I just came back from Colorado, where recreational marijuana is legal. Would you like to see it in your state? Why or why not?
    No! Only in those states where it is legal to use hard drugs and automatic weapons:

  5. #55
    Professor
    SBu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Washington State
    Last Seen
    01-18-16 @ 03:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    1,523

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The difference in quality between the legal stuff and the illegal stuff they import by the brick from Mexico is staggering. It's worth paying the premium.

    I doubt you can even find illegal Mexican weed in Colorado anymore.
    I don't use it, I don't advocate it's use. I've had several friends reach their rock bottom lows either directly from it's use or indirectly from moving on to harder things. I think it's a menace to society mostly. That being said, I don't think anyone else can say more about alcohol.

    To your point, I have never met someone that does cocaine, and only met someone that did crack (with the exception of the homeless) once. I have heard that marijuana is the backbone of the Mexican drug trade. If this is true, anyone that buys marijuana illegally is contributing to hundreds of deaths indirectly in Mexico. Let's kill two birds with one stone and legalize it. Marijuana smokers here can legally practice their vice, and Mexican cartels take a hit (pun intended).

  6. #56
    Sage
    Dittohead not!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Golden State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    41,596

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    The difference in quality between the legal stuff and the illegal stuff they import by the brick from Mexico is staggering. It's worth paying the premium.

    I doubt you can even find illegal Mexican weed in Colorado anymore.
    It sounds like the difference between good whiskey and corn squeezin's.
    "Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud... [he's] playing the American public for suckers." Mitt Romney

  7. #57
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    12-16-17 @ 10:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,208

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I would support the legalization for medical use.

    Also for recreational use, but only if use disqualified the user from welfare, Medicaid and there were extra penalties for crimes committed by users under the influence and crimes committed to support a drug habit.
    Do you support doing that for cigarettes and alcohol?

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    US, California - federalist
    Last Seen
    11-12-16 @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    6,485

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    I don't have any problem paying taxes at any pot shop when i have a petty cash fund for that purpose.

  9. #59
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:39 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,588

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    That's a really gross oversimplification of the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    Well...they do. They can make laws about what you can and can't put into your body.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    "It's a plant, therefore people should not be arrested for owning it because it's plant" isn't sound logic and it isn't going to persuade the opposition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    Good for you and those seven people. I'm for marijuana legalization too, I'm just pointing out that your logic is unsound and it won't convince any "statist" to change their views.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie Loucks View Post
    Sorry for informing you that your justification for your opinion is just bloody awful.
    Are you serious right now? You're complaining about my arguments when you have posted absolutely zero?

    All 6 posts you've made in this thread have been whining at me or someone else. I know you're new here, but every single post does not need to be a fully laid out explanation of someone's beliefs. It's also ok to just state your opinion, and wait if someone disagrees, then begin a debate. You for some reason decided to skip the debate phase and go straight to the whining.

    Let me know when you decide to come up with an independent thought.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Grimm View Post
    It's true, but opium and coca leaves are also plants.

    Then again I say.... God made marijuana, so how can it possibly be bad? That would be like saying God made a mistake or something.
    And? How does that change anything I said?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  10. #60
    Sage
    Mycroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:20 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    25,898

    Re: Should marijuana be legal?

    I guess I can't answer the poll because, since I live in Colorado, it IS legal.
    TANSTAAFL

    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •