View Poll Results: Should German WWII vets still be arrested?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 23.68%
  • No

    34 44.74%
  • It depends

    24 31.58%
Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 281

Thread: Should German WWII vets be arrested?[W:260]

  1. #51
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman123 View Post
    They would have been transferred most likely. Almost no German soldiers were 'ordered to kill' those who manned the firing trenches, the gas chambers, and the execution block were almost all there by choice. Whether Wehrmacht or SS.
    I never learned that in history. Can you cite a valid source, or is that possibly part of the revisionist history I've been seeing for the last couple decades now?

  2. #52
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    If they committed a crime, bring them to justice.
    Punishment is not justice. Restitution is justice.

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    Punishment is not justice. Restitution is justice.
    I am not saying punish them...I am saying try them.

    If they are found guilty, then punish them..and give them ZERO leniency.

    If the sentence is 30 years; I don't care if they are 100 years old and dying of cancer...make them serve every last second of their sentence (or until they die in prison).

    These people (if guilty) assisted in the extermination of human beings...they deserve to rot in jail for the rest of their lives.


    You disagree - I could not care much less.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-21-14 at 02:37 AM.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I am not saying punish them...I am saying try them.

    If they are found guilty, then punish them..and give them ZERO leniency.

    If the sentence is 30 years; I don't care if they are 100 years old and dying of cancer...make them serve every last second of their sentence (or until they die in prison).

    These people (if guilty) assisted in the extermination of human beings...they deserve to rot in jail for the rest of their lives.


    You disagree - I could not care much less.
    It seems to me that under what we know of the Hitler regime 70 years ago, it doesn't matter any more.

    Are you always so vindictive?

  5. #55
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    It seems to me that under what we know of the Hitler regime 70 years ago, it doesn't matter any more.

    Are you always so vindictive?
    So trying (what turns out to be) guilty people and then forcing them to serve their sentence once fairly tried/convicted is 'vindictive' to you?

    Noted.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-21-14 at 02:54 AM.

  6. #56
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    If there is verifiable evidence that these soldiers committed war-crimes, crimes that would have been worthy of conviction under the war crimes tribunals or the courts at the time they committed these crimes, then yes they must be arrested and prosecuted. They have to be prosecuted, if possible and desirable, in the country in which they perpetrated such crimes. And if possible means that these countries must be willing and able to prosecute them within a reasonable time frame and desirable means that they are countries in which the legal system must be fair and respectful of human rights (not Russia or some of it's former soviet states like Ukraine, Turkmenistan, etc.).

    There must also be real evidence and a US court has to review such evidence actually exists before sending prisoners to other countries. Or if the US would prefer, they can be prosecuted in the US itself but not doing anything if you have a war criminal in your midst (and that goes for any country) is not acceptable.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  7. #57
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,325

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    So trying guilty people and then forcing them to serve their sentence once fairly tried/comvicted is 'vindictive' to you?

    Noted.

    I doubt their victims (or their descendents) share your attitiude.



    And why does it not 'matter any more' to you?
    I notice that you already have these people tried and convicted...

    Have you understood anything I have said?

    Tell me. What good would a trial be today without already having proof that these people agreed in their heart top take such actions?

    They were soldiers, following orders. They were not the top officers giving the orders. You cannot apply our military's sense of honor that it's OK to disobey an unlawful order. What is a lawful order in their society is a far cry different than a lawful order in theirs, of the past.

    For the record, I support the Jewish people against injustice. I just don't see how attacking a tool of their destruction does any good. Just what will it accomplish outside of revenge?

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    I am not saying punish them...I am saying try them.

    If they are found guilty, then punish them..and give them ZERO leniency.

    If the sentence is 30 years; I don't care if they are 100 years old and dying of cancer...make them serve every last second of their sentence (or until they die in prison).

    These people (if guilty) assisted in the extermination of human beings...they deserve to rot in jail for the rest of their lives.


    You disagree - I could not care much less.
    That's not justice. That's retribution. Justice is seizing their assets and giving it all to a Jewish charity. This way everything these Nazi soldiers accomplished in the lives they shouldn't have had after the war goes to benefit holocaust survivors and their legacy.

  9. #59
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I notice that you already have these people tried and convicted...

    Have you understood anything I have said?

    Tell me. What good would a trial be today without already having proof that these people agreed in their heart top take such actions?

    They were soldiers, following orders. They were not the top officers giving the orders. You cannot apply our military's sense of honor that it's OK to disobey an unlawful order. What is a lawful order in their society is a far cry different than a lawful order in theirs, of the past.

    For the record, I support the Jewish people against injustice. I just don't see how attacking a tool of their destruction does any good. Just what will it accomplish outside of revenge?


    No, I want all those that have sufficient evidence to be brought to trial, to be made to stand trial and IF they are convicted then they should be punished to the full extent of the law...DUH.

    What would be accomplished if innocent people were convicted of crimes they did not commit?

    Jeez...


    And your excuses are interesting.

    They speak volumes about you as a person, imo.


    Maybe the old excuse 'I was just following orders' or 'I was just doing my job' are good enough for you.

    Well, they are NEVER good enough for me.

    They maybe reasons - but they are not excuses.


    We are done here, as I am not wasting one more second on someone with your attitude towards war crimes.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-21-14 at 03:24 AM.

  10. #60
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    That's not justice. That's retribution. Justice is seizing their assets and giving it all to a Jewish charity. This way everything these Nazi soldiers accomplished in the lives they shouldn't have had after the war goes to benefit holocaust survivors and their legacy.
    Nonsensical minutia.

    Take it up with the war crimes tribunal.


    We are done here.

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •