View Poll Results: Should German WWII vets still be arrested?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 23.68%
  • No

    34 44.74%
  • It depends

    24 31.58%
Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 281

Thread: Should German WWII vets be arrested?[W:260]

  1. #161
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I would honestly like to think that I would do the same, but I'm not so sure.

    Do you charge a person for a war crime because they aren't as courageous as you want to believe you are? Can you honestly say that would be your actions if actually confronted with that situation?
    Most people honestly believe they would do the same. Most people, however, would not. The will to live is incredibly powerful. Nobody can say for sure how they would react unless given that choice. Add to that threats to one's own innocent family members, and all bets are off.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #162
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by NoC_T View Post
    It's easy enough to say you'd make like a superhero as you type away on your keyboard, free from any such threats. I believe that, given the option of saving your own skin along with that of your family's, or taking the life of a complete stranger, most of us would fold in a heartbeat. This is what happened in Germany. I daresay most of the German population were sickened at what they must have known was going on, but turned a blind eye for fear of reprisals. This is always the way of it. No one condones that ****, but everyone's intimidated. Disappearances, torture and murder were daily life. In that situation, the majority will always batten down the hatches and wait out the storm, until someone puts a stop to it. Or until such time as it goes on long enough to provoke revolt.

    Delusions of playing Rambo are juvenile and, quite frankly, unconvincing.
    Bingo. Not only are the illusions of purity juvenile and unconvincing, it's also revolting.

    The percentage of people that would actually do what they say they would do is in the low single digits.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #163
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Why the zeal to prosecute former Nazis when we essentially looked the other way and forgave many of the worst participants of Japan's Unit 731?
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #164
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Bingo. Not only are the illusions of purity juvenile and unconvincing, it's also revolting.

    The percentage of people that would actually do what they say they would do is in the low single digits.
    It's revolting to not be willing to murder people? That's an umm... interesting moral system.

  5. #165
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Bingo. Not only are the illusions of purity juvenile and unconvincing, it's also revolting.

    The percentage of people that would actually do what they say they would do is in the low single digits.
    They're just acting tough.

    Jesus was one in a billion.

  6. #166
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:44 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,524

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    So who gets to decide who was an average soldier and who participated in atrocities? According to modern Germany, if you were stationed at a concentration camp then you are responsible for the atrocities. I don't believe all of the camp guards were volunteers, either, but there is little evidence I can find about this. I did find that a lot more than just the SS were stationed at the camps, though.
    Wehrmacht soldiers weren't posted at the camps. They were either SS, or sonderkommandos.

    And, yes, when these men are found, they should be prosecuted and put to death.

    Now, were all SS troops in on the concentration camps? No, they weren't. Most didn't even know the camps existed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #167
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    It's revolting to not be willing to murder people? That's an umm... interesting moral system.
    It's not a moral system. It's an accurate understanding of the reality of human nature.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #168
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    It's not a moral system. It's an accurate understanding of the reality of human nature.
    "Revolting" is a moral judgment.

  9. #169
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paleocon View Post
    "Revolting" is a moral judgment.
    The incessant posturing about what people think they would do is revolting. Not to mention naive.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  10. #170
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    06-30-16 @ 07:32 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,309
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    The incessant posturing about what people think they would do is revolting. Not to mention naive.
    Well frankly if you find it "revolting" that people have the sense to know that it is evil to murder people, and to express that knowledge, then that's your problem.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •