View Poll Results: Should German WWII vets still be arrested?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 23.68%
  • No

    34 44.74%
  • It depends

    24 31.58%
Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 281

Thread: Should German WWII vets be arrested?[W:260]

  1. #121
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    There's probably some whose crimes rise above, but for the most part I don't know what's accomplished by arresting men in their 90s. Unless they are actively still supporting the Nazi cause, which probably isn't the case for the most part.
    Punishment is mostly thought of as retribution for the evil someone did. Actually that is not what makes punishment a rational social instrument. It is a good instrument because people see that the behavior is punished and therefore tend not to miss behave. If you know you will always be robustly punished, you will not man the next concentration camp in the next country nor shoot at demonstrators calling for the autocrat's dismissal....not vote for someone that promises to exterminate the handicapped.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    No, what you don't seem to understand is that they don't have any evidence that these people did anything wrong at all. They're trying them solely because they were stationed in Ausschwitz. That'd be like you getting stationed at Ft. Bragg, then some group of soldiers at Ft. Bragg murder a bunch of people. Then 60 years later, poof, the government calls you up and tries you for being an accomplice to murder simply because you were also stationed in the same place. That's insanely ridiculous.

    From the article:


    And by the way, insubordination in the German military was met with a bullet to the head. So that means if you get stationed at Auschwitz you either die or get charged with murder, there is no 3rd option. That's irrational.

    I have this crazy notion that people should be tried for their actions, not their inactions.

    Also from this link: Auschwitz concentration camp - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    - There were 7,000 German soldiers stationed in Auschwitz.
    - Only about 120 of which operated the gas chambers.

    So all 7,000 of those soldiers stationed there, the cooks, medics, paperwork clerks, etc. etc., all deserve to be brought up on murder charges?
    Oh come on man. Every case is different. You know perfectly well that in every crime perpetrated by numerous individuals that there are always degrees of guilt.

    Was every one who was involved in the My Lai massacre guilty? Of course not. Every case has to be looked at individually.

    Just as every case on this subject needs to be looked at individually.

    AND...

    'I don't care how long it has been or what pressure's they were under...if there is enough evidence to bring these people to trial...it should be done. And if they are convicted, they should be given - imo - the full punsihment that the law demands and the judge/jury ask for.'

    It is where I stand on this and NOTHING you say will probably change that.


    I said let's agree to disagree...but you just won't let it go. So I will.

    I am done here with you on this subject for now.


    Good day.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-21-14 at 01:17 PM.

  3. #123
    Sage
    Navy Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Last Seen
    05-07-15 @ 02:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    39,883

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Voltaire X View Post
    Germany is STILL arresting WW2 vets because they were stationed at concentration camps.

    BBC News - Germany arrests three suspected Auschwitz guards

    Three men aged 88, 92 and 94 have been detained by German authorities on suspicion of being guards at the Nazi death camp at Auschwitz.

    The homes of a number of men were raided in three German states, months after prosecutors investigating Nazi-era war crimes announced they were recommending charges against 30 people.



    Is this fair? The youngest of the three would have been probably born in 1926, making him no older than 19 when the war ended. Additionally, it's not like these guys volunteered for the war, or even to be guards at Auschwitz. They were forced into it; almost every German male of military age was forced into fighting for the Third Reich. I don't think it's right for us to do this. It's ridiculous for a bunch of people lucky enough to be born in the post-war era to go back and persecute these people for things that happened 70 years ago, especially since these people couldn't have possibly hoped to stop anything. What would have happened if they refused to be guards at Auschwitz? They would have probably just been executed on the spot for refusing to obey orders.

    It depends if it can proven they committed crimes against humanity or not.
    "God Bless Our Troops in Harms Way."

  4. #124
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    It depends if it can proven they committed crimes against humanity or not.
    Would you say that preventing Jews from running away was a crime against humanity?

  5. #125
    Sage
    DDD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Republic of Dardania
    Last Seen
    05-06-17 @ 06:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,173

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    The justice seeking politics of Deutchland still at work even after 70 years never seize to amaze me. If only Serbia went after its war criminals with this much volition.
    Quote Originally Posted by poweRob View Post
    Stats come out and always show life getting better. News makes money in making you think its not.
    The Republic of Dardania is the proper name for: http://www.debatepolitics.com/europe...ification.html

  6. #126
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Oh come on man. Every case is different. You know perfectly well that in every crime perpetrated by numerous individuals that there are always degrees of guilt.

    Was every one who was involved in the My Lai massacre guilty? Of course not. Every case has to be looked at individually.

    Just as every case on this subject needs to be looked at individually.

    AND...

    'I don't care how long it has been or what pressure's they were under...if there is enough evidence to bring these people to trial...it should be done. And if they are convicted, they should be given - imo - the full punsihment that the law demands and the judge/jury ask for.'

    It is where I stand on this and NOTHING you say will probably change that.

    Maybe you like going around and around issues with each side manned by a person who has ZERO chance of changing their minds...I do not. Sounds like a gigantic waste of time.

    I said let's agree to disagree...but you just won't let it go. So I will.

    I am done here with you on this subject for now.


    Good day.
    Lol, whatever bro. If you think charging someone with murder who had absolutely nothing to do with the murders is a rational policy, then I can't help you. Guilt by association for an entire military base is ridiculous and completely without precedent in US or German history.

    I'm glad when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg nobody went on a killing spree, otherwise I might get called up in 60 years that they want to charge me with murder because I was stationed there when it happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #127
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by DA60 View Post
    Oh come on man. Every case is different. You know perfectly well that in every crime perpetrated by numerous individuals that there are always degrees of guilt.

    Was every one who was involved in the My Lai massacre guilty? Of course not. Every case has to be looked at individually.

    Just as every case on this subject needs to be looked at individually.

    AND...

    'I don't care how long it has been or what pressure's they were under...if there is enough evidence to bring these people to trial...it should be done. And if they are convicted, they should be given - imo - the full punsihment that the law demands and the judge/jury ask for.'

    It is where I stand on this and NOTHING you say will probably change that.


    I said let's agree to disagree...but you just won't let it go. So I will.

    I am done here with you on this subject for now.


    Good day.
    To which distance from "pulling the trigger" do you think the perps should have to stand in court? Remember that it is prevention of the next atrocities that the punishment is for. It is all about not letting situations like that occur.

  8. #128
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    Lol, whatever bro. If you think charging someone with murder who had absolutely nothing to do with the murders is a rational policy, then I can't help you. Guilt by association for an entire military base is ridiculous and completely without precedent in US or German history.

    I'm glad when I was stationed at Ft. Bragg nobody went on a killing spree, otherwise I might get called up in 60 years that they want to charge me with murder because I was stationed there when it happened.
    I never said that nonsense and you know it...you are now putting words in my mouth.

    I thought you were better then that...I see I was wrong.

    So be it.


    You have NO WAY of knowing the degree of guilt of those being considered for charge..so save the 'they are all innocent' nonsense...because you were not there and you CANNOT know their guilt or innocence...that is up to a judge/jury to decide...not you or I.


    I will not be reading any more of your posts on this subject as this is going nowhere fast.

    Good day.
    Last edited by DA60; 02-21-14 at 01:27 PM.

  9. #129
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    43,415

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by DDD View Post
    The justice seeking politics of Deutchland still at work even after 70 years never seize to amaze me. If only Serbia went after its war criminals with this much volition.
    The reason that it has come up now is that it was not pursued earlier. There are no important people in power that were criminals at that time anymore. So the resistance to outing and punishment has declined.

  10. #130
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Should German WWII vets be arrested?

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    How can they be prosecuted if they were following a direct order from their commanding officer? Honestly, I understand that this was a horrible circumstance, but if these guys are brought to justice, in my opinion, anyway, it'd make more soldiers hesitant about signing up, if they can be prosecuted for following an order they were forced to do.
    WWII established "following orders" as not being acceptable for committing genocide. Should have killed their nazi COs instead.

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •