View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 73 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast
Results 721 to 730 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #721
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Like I said at the start here, there isn't anything wrong with that so long as a woman is careful. I was simply pointing out that overtly sexual clothing (which I wouldn't say that the outfit above qualifies as being) does tend to grab a guy's attention in a way that outfits which leave a little something more to the "imagination" do not.

    Very often that attention is going to come from exactly the kinds of guys most women probably don't want attention from in the first place.

    If paired with behavior to match the clothing, and the wrong guy, this can be a potentially dangerous combination.

    The dress is great, BTW.
    Okay, well admittedly, some of the outfits (like the "cowgirl" one) are really over the top, but honestly I hardly ever see anyone dressed like that, unless they're at some kind of a "theme" party perhaps. Some girls might reveal a little more cleavage or their dress might be a bit shorter, but really most girls/women are dressed pretty much in a similar when they go out because certain clothing is in fashion at the time.

    See, girls/women think much differently about clothing than how men might perceive that clothing. Like, the woman might say, My God, this outfit looks fantastic on me and really brings out my best features," and (if what you say is true) the guy is thinking, "wow, she must be looking to get laid." Men need to realize that they are misunderstanding intentions of the women in MOST cases if that's what they think.

  2. #722
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Okay, well admittedly, some of the outfits (like the "cowgirl" one) are really over the top, but honestly I hardly ever see anyone dressed like that, unless they're at some kind of a "theme" party perhaps. Some girls might reveal a little more cleavage or their dress might be a bit shorter, but really most girls/women are dressed pretty much in a similar when they go out because certain clothing is in fashion at the time.

    See, girls/women think much differently about clothing than how men might perceive that clothing. Like, the woman might say, My God, this outfit looks fantastic on me and really brings out my best features," and (if what you say is true) the guy is thinking, "wow, she must be looking to get laid." Men need to realize that they are misunderstanding intentions of the women in MOST cases if that's what they think.
    Honestly, the other issue here might be the age groups in question as well. Women in their later twenties and thirties are going to have different sensibilities about their manner of dress and general behavior than women in their late teens or early twenties.

    Women between the ages of 16 and 24 are also the age group most likely to run afoul of date rape, precisely because they are more prone to taking foolish risks and tend to gravitate towards the "wrong" kinds of men.

    I've seen plenty of young girls dressed rather "provocatively" at the college bars in downtown Charleston. They're not the majority, but they're certainly around.

    The other problem is that men are very often justified in viewing women who dress in a provocative manner as being "easy," because they often actually are.

    I knew a girl in school, for instance; who bought a pair of thigh high stripper boots and wore them out on the town one evening specifically because she was horny and wanted to entice some guy into picking her up. She came home at the end of the night in an hysterical weepy fit because it didn't happen.

    Apparently, she'd bought the boots in the wrong size. This lead her to get blisters on her feet and eventually even sprain her ankle, which pretty seriously (pun intended) shot her chances of making a sexual connection in the foot.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-22-14 at 01:40 PM.

  3. #723
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Honestly, the other issue here might be the age groups in question as well. Women in their later twenties and thirties are going to have different sensibilities about their manner of dress and general behavior than women in their late teens or early twenties.

    Women between the ages of 16 and 24 are also the age group most likely to run afoul of date rape, precisely because they are more prone to taking foolish risks and tend to gravitate towards the "wrong" kinds of men.

    I've seen plenty of young girls dressed rather "provocatively" at the college bars in downtown Charleston. They're not the majority, but they're certainly around.

    The other problem is that men are very often justified in viewing women who dress in a provocative manner as being "easy," because they often actually are.

    I knew a girl in school, for instance; who bought a pair of thigh high stripper boots and wore them out on the town one evening specifically because she was horny and wanted to entice some guy into picking her up. She came home at the end of the night in an hysterical weepy fit because it didn't happen.

    Apparently, she'd bought the boots in the wrong size. This lead her to get blisters on her feet and eventually even sprain her ankle, which pretty seriously (pun intended) shot her chances of making a sexual connection in the foot.
    Well, some people have mental issues Gathomas. Did that ever occur to you? A lot of women, in particular, who behave in this manner are a lot of times victims of some kind of abuse in the past or presently, and that might be their "escape."

    Funny story though.

    Yes, teenage girls are going to be more naive. That's a given. They don't have the experience or the critical-thinking skills necessary to make really "good" decisions when it comes to such things. They tend to be risk-takers and to think that bad things only happen to other people.

  4. #724
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, some people have mental issues Gathomas. Did that ever occur to you? A lot of women, in particular, who behave in this manner are a lot of times victims of some kind of abuse in the past or presently, and that might be their "escape."

    Funny story though.

    Yes, teenage girls are going to be more naive. That's a given. They don't have the experience or the critical-thinking skills necessary to make really "good" decisions when it comes to such things. They tend to be risk-takers and to think that bad things only happen to other people.
    To be fair, I think it has more to do with the general state of "youth culture" than anything else a lot of the time these days.

    However, I do agree that emotional problems and simple youthful naivity play a large role as well.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-22-14 at 02:56 PM.

  5. #725
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Blah, blah, blah Gathomas! If you look the polling results, you will see that MOST people would disagree with you.
    because its common sense that clothes dont make a person a rapist, they are basically a non factor.

    Normal adults are crazed animals that get rape inspirations simply by seeing steretypical sluttly clothes.

    This is way there arent just people running around rapping eachother at beachs, pools and nude beaches lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  6. #726
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    because its common sense that clothes dont make a person a rapist, they are basically a non factor.

    Normal adults are crazed animals that get rape inspirations simply by seeing steretypical sluttly clothes.

    This is way there arent just people running around rapping eachother at beachs, pools and nude beaches lol
    I'm of the idea that, okay maybe a guy finds a woman tempting in a certain outfit or whatever, but if he "takes" her against her will, he is a rapist, and HE is the one with the problem, not her. I understand that Gathomas is just trying to be helpful, but I don't think that women should have to alter THEIR behavior when they aren't the ones hurting anyone. It just doesn't seem right.

  7. #727
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm of the idea that, okay maybe a guy finds a woman tempting in a certain outfit or whatever, but if he "takes" her against her will, he is a rapist, and HE is the one with the problem, not her. I understand that Gathomas is just trying to be helpful, but I don't think that women should have to alter THEIR behavior when they aren't the ones hurting anyone. It just doesn't seem right.
    correct.
    the guy was ALWAYS capable of rape and a rapist and he is the one with the SEVER mental problem

    clothes will never MAKE a guy capable of rape or a rapist only mental problems do that

    and no women should not have to alter thier behavior because of people with mental problems.

    its so weird that anybody would want to partially defend this nutcases.

    A woman could do drunk naked cartwheels in front of me and then pass out ass up right in front of me, it would NEVER motivate me to be a rapist because . . . . . . .im not mentally disturbed lol
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #728
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentJ
    correct.
    the guy was ALWAYS capable of rape and a rapist and he is the one with the SEVER mental problem

    clothes will never MAKE a guy capable of rape or a rapist only mental problems do that

    and no women should not have to alter thier behavior because of people with mental problems.

    its so weird that anybody would want to partially defend this nutcases.

    A woman could do drunk naked cartwheels in front of me and then pass out ass up right in front of me, it would NEVER motivate me to be a rapist because . . . . . . .im not mentally disturbed lol
    And how well does the "ignore bad people and hope they simply go away" strategy generally tend to work in reality, J?

    All attitudes like your's accomplish is to put women too young and reckless to know any better at risk by giving them a false sense of security.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm of the idea that, okay maybe a guy finds a woman tempting in a certain outfit or whatever, but if he "takes" her against her will, he is a rapist, and HE is the one with the problem, not her. I understand that Gathomas is just trying to be helpful, but I don't think that women should have to alter THEIR behavior when they aren't the ones hurting anyone. It just doesn't seem right.
    To be fair, people alter their behavior to mitigate risk all the time. It's not a matter of "should." It's a matter of personal safety.

    For instance, it's generally advised that a person wash their hands before handling a large reptile. This is done in order to remove any residual smells which might lead the animal to mistake its handler's sensitive fingers for food. Would you ignore this advice simply because the reptile "should" know well enough not to bite?

    Would you refuse to wear a seat belt on the grounds that other drivers "should" drive well enough not to cause accidents?

    You can choose not to do either of these things, of course. However, that doesn't mean that it's ever going to be a good idea. The fact that a person will always be putting themselves at risk by failing to keep such measures in mind is undeniable.

    The major problem here is that a lot of people want to buy into the fantastical notion that reckless and uninhibited behavior doesn't have consequences, just because they "feel" it shouldn't.

    I'm sorry, but the reality of the situation here is that the idea is just that: fantasy. It always will be.

    If a woman wants to be safe, there are certain things she has to keep in mind. Encouraging women, and young and inexperienced women especially, to believe that men will behave themselves simply because they "should," and that no real effort is required on their own part, is dangerous.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-23-14 at 01:15 AM.

  9. #729
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    To be fair, people alter their behavior to mitigate risk all the time. It's not a matter of "should." It's a matter of personal safety.

    For instance, it's generally advised that a person wash their hands before handling a large reptile. This is done in order to remove any residual smells which might lead the animal to mistake its handler's sensitive fingers for food. Would you ignore this advice simply because the reptile "should" know well enough not to bite?

    Would you refuse to wear a seat belt on the grounds that other drivers "should" drive well enough not to cause accidents?

    You can choose not to do either of these things, of course. However, that doesn't mean that it's ever going to be a good idea. The fact that a person will always be putting themselves at risk by failing to keep such measures in mind is undeniable.

    The major problem here is that a lot of people want to buy into the fantastical notion that reckless and uninhibited behavior doesn't have consequences, just because they "feel" it shouldn't.

    I'm sorry, but the reality of the situation here is that the idea is just that: fantasy. It always will be.

    If a woman wants to be safe, there are certain things she has to keep in mind. Encouraging women, and young and inexperienced women especially, to believe that men will behave themselves simply because they "should," and that no real effort is required on their own part, is dangerous.
    To be fair, I expect more from a human being than I do from a reptile.

  10. #730
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    To be fair, I expect more from a human being than I do from a reptile.
    That would be your first mistake.

Page 73 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •