View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 62 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 611 to 620 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #611
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is all such bull crap! The only way a person's clothing would be considered "consenting" to sex is if she wasn't wearing any!

    Clothing doesn't speak, and if any man is making assumptions about a woman based upon how she is dressed, then he is moron and mentally disturbed too.

    Is that from your own POV or your considerable knowledge as a male? For the record, I never said clothing was permitting sex, it simply becomes a factor in a man's inability to control his passion. That's not nice, fair or even legal but it is a reality, not an opinion.

    Fathers don't want their teenage girls to dress less scantily, because they're afraid of rape (maybe?). They know how aggressive, manipulating and coercive the young males will become, because they was one.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  2. #612
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Exactly. It's not a factor in most rapes, but it can be, and sometimes is, a contributing factor in some rapes. The kinds of rapes where this is most common are date rapes; though, even then, it is probably not the major factor involved so much as generally unsafe behavior.

    Some posters in this thread are trying to deny even that. I'm sorry, but I'm simply not buying that argument.

    Look at it this way. I'm a straight man. Going into a gay club by myself is pretty much always risky.

    However, if I go in wearing a skin tight pair of neon pink bicycle shorts and tight T-shirt tied off above my waist, I'm only making it worse, as I am now deliberately attracting the attention of everyone in the room in an overtly sexual manner. If you're not actually planning on having sex with anyone, it is simply a bad idea to go out of one's way to give off the impression that you might be.

    This won't get me assaulted in and of itself, in all likelihood, but it could contribute to a misunderstanding that might increase the likelihood on an assault occurring.
    The only thing I would have to say though is a lady may well be looking to hook up, just not with the person who would rape her. IOW, it's still the fault of the aggressor, if a woman is wearing provocative clothing she may be looking to land a guy, she may have just lost a bunch of weight and finally wants to show more skin, it could be a lot of reasons.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  3. #613
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You seriously believe that?

    If it walks like a slut, and looks like a slut...
    I knew/know a woman who was (might still be) all about one night stands. She brought guys home from the bar all the time and sometimes they got kicked out of bed right after. They didn't stand a chance of making a longterm relationship with her. And she was known for wearing sleepwear or jeans and t-shirts to the bar. She was awesome. I'd say plenty of people would classify her as a "slut", but you couldn't look at her clothing to make that determination. It was all about her attitude and actions, not her clothes. Just like I was informed that at least some guys thought of me as a "tease", even when I don't wear anything but jeans to a bar (I go to country bars). The rep was gained because of my actions, my refusal to go home with most guys eventhough I wanted to dance with them. (I love to dance.) Actions speak much louder than clothing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #614
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Yes, and that type of guy isn't going to be the sort that is prone to either "picking up" strange women, or the kinds of misunderstandings which can often escalate into date rape.
    Why would you say that? Any type of guy can pick up a woman. Any type of guy can be a rapist, especially when it comes to initial impressions as being all you have to go on.

    What type of guy do you think picks up girls and is willing to rape them if they don't agree to sex exactly? And what exactly is the type of guy who would pick up the librarian type?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #615
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    The only thing I would have to say though is a lady may well be looking to hook up, just not with the person who would rape her. IOW, it's still the fault of the aggressor, if a woman is wearing provocative clothing she may be looking to land a guy, she may have just lost a bunch of weight and finally wants to show more skin, it could be a lot of reasons.
    Of course. The rapist is always ultimately to blame.

    However, it cannot really be denied that certain styles of dress do tend to send certain messages whether they are intended or not. That can result in misunderstandings which are some times dangerous.

  6. #616
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I knew/know a woman who was (might still be) all about one night stands. She brought guys home from the bar all the time and sometimes they got kicked out of bed right after. They didn't stand a chance of making a longterm relationship with her. And she was known for wearing sleepwear or jeans and t-shirts to the bar. She was awesome. I'd say plenty of people would classify her as a "slut", but you couldn't look at her clothing to make that determination. It was all about her attitude and actions, not her clothes. Just like I was informed that at least some guys thought of me as a "tease", even when I don't wear anything but jeans to a bar (I go to country bars). The rep was gained because of my actions, my refusal to go home with most guys eventhough I wanted to dance with them. (I love to dance.) Actions speak much louder than clothing.
    Last I check, we don't wear signs around out neck that accurately portray character traits. You have to judge by obvious factors. Maybe they're accurate; maybe they're not. However, we all do it.

    Dance? That's it? Doesn't seem like a fair trade IMO. It's like women who accept the free drink and refuse payback in the back seat after last call.

  7. #617
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Who in the heck are you talking to? No one said anything about clothing indicating "consent."

    Please. Everyone does this, not just men looking at women.

    Are you honestly going to tell me that you do not make certain assumptions about a man who is dressed like a biker or gangster rapper that you wouldn't make about a man wearing an expensive business suit?
    There is a difference between a person using a person's clothing to make assumptions on what type of person that is and using clothing to target a person to take home and rape or even to just attempt to have sex with.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #618
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Nah, you're not looking at this from a guy point of view, which is difficult, unless you're a guy. A girl who's got everything pushed up and out, looking like sex on a stick is definitely going to be more irresistible than Miss Librarian date. If a sexpot is sticking her tongue in your ear, saying nasty things with a little nipple popping out, then suddenly says "NO!", then the clothes played a part in how hard the date rape was to resist.

    Again it's not common, but squeezing, teasing with no intention of pleasing and barely wearing a squirrel cover is a recipe for disaster. Don't underestimate, even a normal guys control, when the hormones of youth kick in.
    I dunno man, I actually appreciate the "dressed down" look. It's harder to pull off more conservative dress and still be smokin' hot and I've seen a few ladies who could pull it off, they were so sexy that they could have won a guy's attraction in a burka.

    To me, anyone can show skin and dress provocatively but it's kind of like anything else, the better the quality the less you have to advertise. One girl I fell for hard years ago(she's married now so moving along) could pull off an off the rack Walmart dress when other women were blowing their paychecks on expensive stuff to go out, she was THE center of the room in moderate clothes and just an amazing person. BTW, she chose to dress down, her entire family is connected politically and economically in this state(and she chooses not to brag).
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  9. #619
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Why would you say that? Any type of guy can pick up a woman.
    Absolutely untrue. Unless they are deliberately aiming for the very lowest targets on the menu, most guys struggle in this regard, and many do not care to try at all.

    What type of guy do you think picks up girls and is willing to rape them if they don't agree to sex exactly?
    If existing cases are any indication, generally the more aggressive "testosterone posioned" type.

    And what exactly is the type of guy who would pic up the librarian type?
    I don't have the slightest idea. Certainly none I've ever met.

    Where are you hanging out that "librarian types" are so common anyway?
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-20-14 at 05:49 PM.

  10. #620
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Of course. The rapist is always ultimately to blame.

    However, it cannot really be denied that certain styles of dress do tend to send certain messages whether they are intended or not. That can result in misunderstandings which are some times dangerous.
    Even stating that aggression of that type could come from a misunderstanding, any male with that little self control is dangerous beyond what the lady was wearing.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

Page 62 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •