View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 54 of 84 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
Results 531 to 540 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #531
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I've heard about the mass rapes in Rwanda. I've read some really horrific stories about them, really terrible and brutal things that you don't even want to THINK about. No denying that there is absolutely NOTHING sexual about that. It is more like a physical and psychological torture.
    I read up a bit on it and from what I understand the philosophy behind those particular rapes involves the culture itself. The Tutsi tribe, from what I've come to understand have a very structured culture and manhood/self worth of males is based upon being able to provide for and protect their families, I also understand that fidelity is very important to them. The rapes are a multi-faceted attack on the psyches of all involved, used to brutalize the women but as important it is meant to demoralize the male populace, it's saying "see, your women are no longer yours, you couldn't protect them, you are inferior".

    *The difference between say, a southern man and a Tutsi man in the "protector/provider" camp is that if a man were to harm a southerner's family that man will seek out justice but blame the attacker exclusively, a Tutsi man would be very likely to wither away because of the importance of their role(this is what the reading has led me to believe anyway, I'm not an expert on the Rwanda subject but rather an observer).*
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  2. #532
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Because it doesn't matter what the woman is wearing in that situation either. If the guy is a jerk enough to expect something and gets angry when he doesn't get it, it doesn't really matter what the woman is wearing at the time. Men don't NEED a woman to dress provocatively to want to have sex with her either.
    It does, in a way, however; because men are going to make assumptions about a woman's intentions and general level of "easiness" based upon her style of dress. A guy who is deliberately looking for sex probably won't approach a woman who seems unlikely to give it out in the first place.

    He also won't be as liable to make rationalizations to himself along the lines of "if she didn't want it, she wouldn't have worn that top," which might lead him to get angry when and if he is rejected.

    In fact, some men (like yourself) prefer women who dress more conservatively.
    True, but we're less likely to expect sex, or actively seek it out, than other types of men.

    You do not. You think that they're sluts and nothing more.
    I think they have rather poor judgment, a lot of the time.

    However, that is ultimately their choice.

    The guy on the date in your scenario obviously.
    Ah.

    Please Gathomas, there have been plenty of instances in which you speak derogatory about the way some women dress. Like on the clubbing thread a few months back for instance?
    And what did I say about them?

  3. #533
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I read up a bit on it and from what I understand the philosophy behind those particular rapes involves the culture itself. The Tutsi tribe, from what I've come to understand have a very structured culture and manhood/self worth of males is based upon being able to provide for and protect their families, I also understand that fidelity is very important to them. The rapes are a multi-faceted attack on the psyches of all involved, used to brutalize the women but as important it is meant to demoralize the male populace, it's saying "see, your women are no longer yours, you couldn't protect them, you are inferior".

    *The difference between say, a southern man and a Tutsi man in the "protector/provider" camp is that if a man were to harm a southerner's family that man will seek out justice but blame the attacker exclusively, a Tutsi man would be very likely to wither away because of the importance of their role(this is what the reading has led me to believe anyway, I'm not an expert on the Rwanda subject but rather an observer).*
    Some of the things I've read are just horrible. Taking a woman's baby from her and throwing it in the fire and then raping her with sticks and other sharp objects. Some of them bleed to death, and some are left mutilated and disfigured and can never have children again. Horrible, horrible things go on, and nobody helps them.

  4. #534
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I've heard about the mass rapes in Rwanda. I've read some really horrific stories about them, really terrible and brutal things that you don't even want to THINK about. No denying that there is absolutely NOTHING sexual about that. It is more like a physical and psychological torture.
    Quote Originally Posted by LaMidRighter View Post
    I read up a bit on it and from what I understand the philosophy behind those particular rapes involves the culture itself. The Tutsi tribe, from what I've come to understand have a very structured culture and manhood/self worth of males is based upon being able to provide for and protect their families, I also understand that fidelity is very important to them. The rapes are a multi-faceted attack on the psyches of all involved, used to brutalize the women but as important it is meant to demoralize the male populace, it's saying "see, your women are no longer yours, you couldn't protect them, you are inferior".

    *The difference between say, a southern man and a Tutsi man in the "protector/provider" camp is that if a man were to harm a southerner's family that man will seek out justice but blame the attacker exclusively, a Tutsi man would be very likely to wither away because of the importance of their role(this is what the reading has led me to believe anyway, I'm not an expert on the Rwanda subject but rather an observer).*
    It is a terror tactic, essentially. That kind of thing wasn't terribly uncommon even in Western warfare in the pre-modern era. The 30 Years War, for instance, tended to involve rather horrific atrocities along those lines as well whenever an opposing army would move into a civilian area loyal to the other side.

  5. #535
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    It does, in a way, however; because men are going to make assumptions about a woman's intentions and general level of "easiness" based upon her style of dress. A guy who is deliberately looking for sex probably won't approach a woman who seems unlikely to give it out in the first place.

    He also won't be as liable to make rationalizations to himself along the lines of "if she didn't want it, she wouldn't have worn that top," which might lead him to get angry when and if he is rejected.
    This is wrong because if that were the case then it would be a FACT that most date rape victims were dressed provocatively, and THAT is not the case. Besides, people have been telling over and over again that different people find different things attractive, and when we are talking about a person who is mentally diseased, then who knows.



    True, but we're less likely to expect sex, or actively seek it out, than other types of men.
    That is not true either. WHERE do you get these non-truths from anyway? I know for a FACT that some conservative men are quite the pervs. Don't lie to me, I'm not your mother.


    I think they have rather poor judgment, a lot of the time.

    However, that is ultimately their choice.

    Why do you think it's a poor choice? Some women WANT this attention. They don't want to be the frumpy mousy nerd girl sitting in the corner that nobody pays attention to apparently.

    Ah.
    Who did you think I was talking about? You? Are you angry about something Gathomas?

    And what did I say about them?
    All kinds of things, such as they are there to look for sex, that they're promiscuous and other such things. Sorry, but just because a person shows some cleavage or leg that does not mean they are promiscuous.

  6. #536
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,798

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    It does, in a way, however; because men are going to make assumptions about a woman's intentions and general level of "easiness" based upon her style of dress. A guy who is deliberately looking for sex probably won't approach a woman who seems unlikely to give it out in the first place.

    He also won't be as liable to make rationalizations to himself along the lines of "if she didn't want it, she wouldn't have worn that top," which might lead him to get angry when and if he is rejected.



    True, but we're less likely to expect sex, or actively seek it out, than other types of men.



    I think they have rather poor judgment, a lot of the time.

    However, that is ultimately their choice.



    Ah.



    And what did I say about them?
    Good grief! LOL
    please stop talking like you speak for "MEN" because you are factually wrong

    real MEN dont act anything like you are describing, it seems you are projecting your own issues on others but they are only yours
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #537
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    It is a terror tactic, essentially. That kind of thing wasn't terribly uncommon even in Western warfare in the pre-modern era. The 30 Years War, for instance, tended to involve rather horrific atrocities along those lines as well whenever an opposing army would move into a civilian area loyal to the other side.
    Absolutely, along with razing cities, killing livestock, destroying crops and infrastructure. The whole idea behind that type of tactic is to destroy the opposition rather than just force a surrender.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  8. #538
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    This is wrong because if that were the case then it would be a FACT that most date rape victims were dressed provocatively, and THAT is not the case.
    According to what?

    Besides, people have been telling over and over again that different people find different things attractive,
    Which is nonsense. There in not that much deviation in what guys tend to find attractive.

    99.9% of the time, a reasonably attractive woman wearing skimpy clothing is going to sexually excite a man.

    and when we are talking about a person who is mentally diseased, then who knows.
    Where non-serial offenders are concerned, you still have yet to demonstrate that they even are "mentally diseased."

    That is not true either. WHERE do you get these non-truths from anyway? I know for a FACT that some conservative men are quite the pervs. Don't lie to me, I'm not your mother.
    If you're trying to get laid and going after the conservatively dressed women, you're doing it wrong.

    Why do you think it's a poor choice? Some women WANT this attention. They don't want to be the frumpy mousy nerd girl sitting in the corner that nobody pays attention to apparently.
    If a woman's not planning on actually sleeping with anyone, it's a terrible idea simply because she's openly inviting misinterpretation of her intentions.

    If she is, it's still kind of a bad idea, simply because promiscuity is an inherently risky activity.

    Who did you think I was talking about? You? Are you angry about something Gathomas?
    So far, I've been accused of hating women, wanting them to wear burkas, and being a closet rapist.

    You never can tell sometimes.

    All kinds of things, such as they are there to look for sex, that they're promiscuous and other such things. Sorry, but just because a person shows some cleavage or leg that does not mean they are promiscuous.
    Some of them are.

    I fail to see how this implies that I want women to all dress in Burkas, like you were claiming.

  9. #539
    Klattu Verata Nicto
    LaMidRighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisiana
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    30,534

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Some of the things I've read are just horrible. Taking a woman's baby from her and throwing it in the fire and then raping her with sticks and other sharp objects. Some of them bleed to death, and some are left mutilated and disfigured and can never have children again. Horrible, horrible things go on, and nobody helps them.
    I wish we could help, but we already create so many problems since we left the non-intervention stance behind. Personally I realize that we have to slowly retract our military presence around the globe, and I wish we could justify ending the multiple global atrocities but if we started that on a global scale it would wear us very thin both from a manpower and a monetary perspective. The U.N. is supposed to handle that kind of thing, but they are useless, in fact some of my local friends were in that continent assisting with U.N. peacekeeping missions and they said that some of the peacekeepers were as bad or worse than the people we were supposed to be fighting, and the rules of engagement were just good to get our guys killed.
    Neither side in an argument can find the truth when both make an absolute claim on it.

    LMR

  10. #540
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by AgentJ
    Good grief! LOL
    please stop talking like you speak for "MEN" because you are factually wrong

    real MEN dont act anything like you are describing, it seems you are projecting your own issues on others but they are only yours
    Who asked you? We are talking about men's opinions, after all.

    Do you even qualify?

Page 54 of 84 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •