View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 491 to 500 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #491
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I'm sure there were other scantily clad girls as well. The one girl simply happened to be the one they had the most opportunity to get too.

    Again, however; I never said that clothing was the primary factor in these kinds of cases anyway. Most of the problem is behavior.

    I'm simply saying that it isn't possible to discount the role played by clothing here entirely. It does play a role in giving men a certain impression of a woman's intentions.

    Sometimes that intention is misconstrued, which leads to dangerous situations that can result in assaults.
    Not in most cases. There is just no way to connect any clothing to protecting a woman from rape in general. Any type of clothing could attract a potential rapist, with there being no evidence that any specific kind is more likely to do so. Unless you can show some evidence to the contrary, your assumptions are just that and based on faulty beliefs that lump all men together in their attractions and why they may have sex with a woman, including rapists.

    The only time clothing can definitively be known to make a difference is when you know a specific rapist who targets based on specific types of clothing being worn. But then that would be alerting for that specific clothing.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #492
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not in most cases. There is just no way to connect any clothing to protecting a woman from rape in general. Any type of clothing could attract a potential rapist, with there being no evidence that any specific kind is more likely to do so. Unless you can show some evidence to the contrary, your assumptions are just that and based on faulty beliefs that lump all men together in their attractions and why they may have sex with a woman, including rapists.

    The only time clothing can definitively be known to make a difference is when you know a specific rapist who targets based on specific types of clothing being worn. But then that would be alerting for that specific clothing.
    WHY he is fighting us so hard on this one can only guess.

  3. #493
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Most men tend to share certain sexual cues in common.
    Rapists would not fall into the category of most men though. And rapes have very little to do with normal sexual attractions/cues that normal men have.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #494
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I think YOU just don't like when women dress provocatively because YOU think they're slutty.
    I've got no problem with women dressing provocatively when appropriate. There simply happen to be certain realities at play here which cannot be ignored.

    Presenting one's self to the world in an attention grabbing way tends to be dangerous.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    As far as you are aware means absolutely nothing. Rapists ARE sociopaths. Normal men are NOT rapists and are not turned on by a woman begging and crying, or having sex with an unresponsive person. I'm sorry but in no situation can that be described as normal behavior.
    Normal people are not murderers. Does this mean that a person has to be a sociopath to kill?

    I absolutely agree that the kind of man who would rape probably does have some issues. However, that does not necessarily mean that he is going to be a cold blooded predator who is completely alien in comparison with most other men.

    Serial rapists certainly are, but men who take advantage, or rape in a moment of passion, likely won't be.

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Not in most cases. There is just no way to connect any clothing to protecting a woman from rape in general. Any type of clothing could attract a potential rapist, with there being no evidence that any specific kind is more likely to do so. Unless you can show some evidence to the contrary, your assumptions are just that and based on faulty beliefs that lump all men together in their attractions and why they may have sex with a woman, including rapists.

    The only time clothing can definitively be known to make a difference is when you know a specific rapist who targets based on specific types of clothing being worn. But then that would be alerting for that specific clothing.
    If a certain behavior or article of clothing can be counted on to attract men in general, it can be counted on to attract a man who simply happens to be a rapist as well.

    That's really all there is to it.

    If a woman wants to dress that way, it's up to her. She can probably even get away with it under most circumstances; especially so if she's safe.

    However, that doesn't mean that she is not still attracting attention to herself which increases her overall risk of getting into trouble in doing so.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-20-14 at 12:03 AM.

  5. #495
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    WHY he is fighting us so hard on this one can only guess.
    Because there is an irrational political agenda at play here which is counter-productive to the goal of keeping women safe.

    With regards to absolutely no other crime would vulnerable people be told that the amount of attention they draw to themselves in dangerous environments plays literally "no role" in their likelihood of being victimized.

  6. #496
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,835

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    1.)Because there is an irrational political agenda at play here which is counter-productive to the goal of keeping women safe.
    political agenda? lol

    wow thats a failed straw man and complete fantasy

    please do tell what is this factual political agenda i didnt read it in my conspiracy news letter this week, i cant wait to read this
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  7. #497
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Because there is an irrational political agenda at play here which is counter-productive to the goal of keeping women safe.

    With regards to absolutely no other crime would vulnerable people be told that the amount of attention they draw to themselves in dangerous environments plays literally "no role" in their likelihood of being victimized.
    Have you done any actual research on this topic G?

    Rapists who misread cues believe the following:
    men are naturally assertive and women are naturally passive. There are “good girls” and “bad girls.” Bad girls secretly want sex but can’t admit it, so they trick men into forcing sex. How do these “bad girls” send cues (in these men’s minds)? By doing things like smiling at them, or making eye contact, or by showing a little leg or cleavage. So these men may see a low-cut blouse as a “rape me” signal. But while they also see a smile or eye contact as a sexual come-on, women are only blamed for the dress. Have you ever heard anyone say, “Never look at a man,” or “Never smile at a man, he may rape you!”

    Women, if you think dressing modestly will protect you, it won’t. Most rapists don’t care about “cues,” and just in case you run into those who do, you better not look at, or smile at, any man either. Just to be safe.


    Does Provocative Dress Ever Cause Rape? | BroadBlogs

    Your responses also imply that you find the status quo acceptable.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #498
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I've got no problem with women dressing provocatively when appropriate. There simply happen to be certain realities at play here which cannot be ignored.

    Presenting one's self to the world in an attention grabbing way tends to be dangerous.
    That is silly and hyperbole. Sexual Violence Myths: Provocative Clothing Is A Risk Factor - ConsentEd

    Normal people are not murderers. Does this mean that a person has to be a sociopath to kill someone?
    Um . . . YES. Unless it's self defense of some kind or wartime, then yes it's pretty safe to say that a person is pretty much a sociopath if they kill someone.

    I absolutely agree that the kind of man who would rape probably does have some issues. However, that does not necessarily mean that he is going to be a cold blooded predator who is going to be completely alien from most other men.
    Yes it does. Studies have concluded just that. They suffer from at least some kind of personality disorder.

    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/754975_3

    Serial rapists certainly are, but men who take advantage, or rape in a moment of passion, likely won't be.
    Not true. Normal men do NOT rape women.

    If a certain behavior or article of clothing can be counted on to attract men in general, it can be counted on to attract a man who simply happens to be a rapist as well.
    No, the risk factor is having a rapist present and behaving in an irresponsible manner, and sometimes the woman doesn't even HAVE to behave in an irresponsible manner and can still be raped. The only risk factor is that there is a rapist present.

    That's really all there is to it.
    Wrong.


    If a woman wants to dress that way, it's up to her. She can probably even get away with it under most circumstances; especially so if she's safe.

    However, that does not mean that she is not still attracting attention to herself which increases her overall risk of getting into trouble in doing so.
    Bull, it's all about your behavior and the behavior of the rapist and not how you are dressed.

  9. #499
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,785

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Because there is an irrational political agenda at play here which is counter-productive to the goal of keeping women safe.

    With regards to absolutely no other crime would vulnerable people be told that the amount of attention they draw to themselves in dangerous environments plays literally "no role" in their likelihood of being victimized.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  10. #500
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    political agenda? lol

    wow thats a failed straw man and complete fantasy

    please do tell what is this factual political agenda i didnt read it in my conspiracy news letter this week, i cant wait to read this
    The "political agenda" in question is right here.

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Your responses also imply that you find the status quo acceptable.
    There is a certain politicized subset of our society which believes that literally any, so much as implied, criticism of female sexuality is a form of anti-feminist oppression. As such, they tend to have a vested interest in denying the patently obvious where these kinds of issues are concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Have you done any actual research on this topic G?

    Rapists who misread cues believe the following:
    men are naturally assertive and women are naturally passive. There are “good girls” and “bad girls.” Bad girls secretly want sex but can’t admit it, so they trick men into forcing sex. How do these “bad girls” send cues (in these men’s minds)? By doing things like smiling at them, or making eye contact, or by showing a little leg or cleavage. So these men may see a low-cut blouse as a “rape me” signal. But while they also see a smile or eye contact as a sexual come-on, women are only blamed for the dress. Have you ever heard anyone say, “Never look at a man,” or “Never smile at a man, he may rape you!”

    Women, if you think dressing modestly will protect you, it won’t. Most rapists don’t care about “cues,” and just in case you run into those who do, you better not look at, or smile at, any man either. Just to be safe.
    What you just quoted only goes to backup my point. Many rapists do take revealing clothing as being a sign that a woman is a "bad girl" who is open to sex (even if she does not know it herself).

    Granted, a lot of them will rape anyway regardless of clothing, but this doesn't change the fact that clothing can sometimes play a role in exacerbating an already bad situation, or making a bad situation more likely to develop in the first place.

    Your responses also imply that you find the status quo acceptable.
    What "status quo?"

Page 50 of 84 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •