View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 47 of 84 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #461
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I already gave him one, my ex-roommate. He was a good guy, kinda bland, but he was only attracted to large women. He would not look twice at the woman pictured there. He simply was not attracted to skinny/small women, no matter how much or how little clothing they wore. (For the first few years I lived with him, I thought he was asexual because of his lack of interest in women that most men found attractive and I was pretty sure he wasn't gay (most of the gay guys in our department were well known because it wasn't a big deal). Then he started dating this really nice larger woman until about the time he got out of the Navy and I found out from mutual friends that yeah, he expressed this attraction often while on watch (we didn't stand watches together).)
    Yup...everyone has a 'type' they like.

    And some are more extreme about it then others.

  2. #462
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    You are making assumptions based on your personal feelings, attractions. The majority of rapes that you are describing (where the victim is wearing something that attracts their rapist to them with little to no chance to even interact with the rapist) is not going to be based on clothing as much as the type of person that particular rapist is attracted to or what the rapist is attracted to. You are trying to apply the rationale of a man and his attractions to a rapist who already has issues (they wouldn't feel it was okay to rape a woman if they didn't have issues).

    Clothing would only come into play with some specific rapists, but what kind of clothing could really be anything. It could be any clothing that is red, or long skirts, or showing cleavage, or a woman that goes out her way to look like a man/less feminine or even just natural. It is impossible to know what might attract a potential rapist without knowing the particular psychology or MO of that rapist. Some rapists only attack redheads, others only women between certain ages, and still others only women who hold certain jobs or are in certain positions.
    Again, however; you're talking about hardcore psychopaths there. Like it or not, not all rapists fit that bill.

    Again, look at those boys in Steubenville. You can't tell me that the behavior and style of dress of the girl in that case didn't play at least some role in giving her rapists the impression that it would be okay for them to "cop a feel" and take advantage after she passed out.

    Sure, it tends to require a somewhat disturbed individual to make those kinds of mental leaps in the first place. However, that doesn't mean that there is necessarily anything "pathological" about their behavior.

    edit:

    And yes, they were still wrong. Explaining the motivations behind certain behaviors does not excuse them.

    That should really go without saying, but you apparently never know with this thread.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Why are you still arguing about this? I thought you agreed that clothing played a negligible role in rape?
    It doesn't play a major role, but it does play at least some role in some cases.

    A couple of posters in this thread are trying to claim that it plays literally no role. I'm sorry, but that is simply obtuse.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    My God! How many women do you think run around out in public like that? She looks like a street whore.

    Most women are NOT going to dress like that in public because people might mistake them for prostitutes, seriously.

    Do you think women are completely CLUELESS?
    Unfortunately, some are.

    Most are not, thank God, but more responsible women were never the kinds I was referring to here in the first place.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-19-14 at 11:19 PM.

  3. #463
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post

    A couple of posters in this thread are trying to claim that it plays literally no role. I'm sorry, but that is simply obtuse.
    you mean the super vast majority
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  4. #464
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, however; you're talking about hardcore psychopaths there. Like it or not, not all rapists fit that bill.

    Again, look at those boys in Steubenville. You can't tell me that the behavior and style of dress of the girl in that case didn't play at least some role in giving her rapists the impression that it would be okay for them to "cop a feel" and take advantage after she passed out.

    Sure, it tends to require a somewhat disturbed individual to make those kinds of mental leaps in the first place. However, that doesn't mean that there is necessarily anything "pathological" about their behavior
    No. A guy who would cop a feel of a woman passed out is not going to allow clothing to get in the way or be the determining factor in his mind for whether he should cop that feel or not.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  5. #465
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by AGENT J View Post
    you mean the super vast majority
    Most of the women, and a handful of the guys. Most of the guys (and even a couple of the women) have argued that it can play a role in some cases just as I have.

    What's your point?

  6. #466
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, however; you're talking about hardcore psychopaths there. Like it or not, not all rapists fit that bill.

    Again, look at those boys in Steubenville. You can't tell me that the behavior and style of dress of the girl in that case didn't play at least some role in giving her rapists the impression that it would be okay for them to "cop a feel" and take advantage after she passed out.

    Sure, it tends to require a somewhat disturbed individual to make those kinds of mental leaps in the first place. However, that doesn't mean that there is necessarily anything "pathological" about their behavior.

    edit:

    And yes, they were still wrong. Explaining the motivations behind certain behaviors does not excuse them.

    That should really go without saying, but you apparently never know with this thread.



    It doesn't play a major role, but it does play at least some role in some cases.

    A couple of posters in this thread are trying to claim that it plays literally no role. I'm sorry, but that is simply obtuse.



    Unfortunately, some are.

    Most are not, thank God, but more responsible women were never the kinds I was referring to here in the first place.
    We've already shown you how LITTLE a role clothing would play in practically any rape. It's more opportunity. Instead of worrying yourself SO much about what a woman is wearing, worry about the behaviors instead.

    We've already demonstrated how, if a woman chooses to dress like a hooker in public, she CAN as long as she follows a few simple rules, so clothing is REALLY not the issue here.

  7. #467
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 02:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,761

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Most of the women, and a handful of the guys. Most of the guys (and even a couple of the women) have argued that it can play a role in some cases just as I have.

    What's your point?
    point?
    just pointing out the fact that 82.43% is more then a "couple" and your statement was factually wrong
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  8. #468
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    No. A guy who would cop a feel of a woman passed out is not going to allow clothing to get in the way or be the determining factor in his mind for whether he should cop that feel or not.
    Again, I simply don't believe that. I'm a guy. I know how guys think; even the piggier ones.

    She presented herself as a target open to sexual approach, and so they treated her as one once her defenses were down.

  9. #469
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, I simply don't believe that. I'm a guy. I know how guys think; even the piggier ones.

    She presented herself as a target open to sexual approach, and so they treated her as one once her defenses were down.
    No, her defenses being down was the major factor there, not her clothing. There is no reason to believe that had she been wearing something like jeans or a long skirt, that they would have been less likely to take advantage of her in that situation, passed out.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #470
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    We've already shown you how LITTLE a role clothing would play in practically any rape. It's more opportunity. Instead of worrying yourself SO much about what a woman is wearing, worry about the behaviors instead.

    We've already demonstrated how, if a woman chooses to dress like a hooker in public, she CAN as long as she follows a few simple rules, so clothing is REALLY not the issue here.
    That's fine, but it doesn't mean that clothing doesn't still play a role in putting women at risk.

    It simply happens to be the case that the risk in question can be managed and brought down to more acceptable levels if one takes other precautions.

Page 47 of 84 FirstFirst ... 37454647484957 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •