View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 38 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #371
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    It is possible to point out objectively foolish behavior without "blaming the victim," you know.
    So then you agree with me that the woman is NOT responsible for her rape because of clothing she is wearing.

    Yes, which is exactly why a lot of "politically correct" women need to stop pretending like it is.

    There are bad men out there. You should never assume that some random stranger you meet out on the town has your best interests in mind and can be trusted.

    Well I don't do those things, but if a person is raped because they made a mistake or a bad judgment, then I still don't put any responsibility on the victim. SHE wasn't out trying to hurt anyone with her clothing.

  2. #372
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    The first precaution is not to put yourself in risky atmospheres. The "first precaution" is hardly carrying a gun.



    Unsavory neighborhoods? I agree. What sane woman does that? And yet. An enclosed parking garage very late at night...parked-around-the-corner-from-the-club late at night...using a large parking lot as a meeting/drop-off place late at night...getting into an elevator with someone who makes the hairs on your neck stand up...using stairwells...all of these things are done by women every single day of the week. Risky behavior, in my opinion.
    You mention the hairs standing up on the back of your neck, Maggie, and that touches in something I believe firmly in, and this goes for everybody....trust your intuition. A female friend told me once about how she was in a bank parking lot going to her car when she noticed two guys hanging around the car next to hers. Now they could have been there for any reason. Maybe they just happened to see each other and were just chatting innocently. After all, it was the middle of the day. She described for me how she felt uneasy and how these 'red flags' we're going off, telling her not to go to any where near her car until she could be among a group of people and that's what she did. I believe strongly in those "red flags". Don't try talking yourself out of them or chastise yourself for being "paranoid". So what if you're wrong about someone and extra precautions you took were unnecessary. That's a damn site better than finding out in the worst possible way that your instincts were 100% accurate but you didn't pay attention to them.

  3. #373
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So: wear a box on a date so he doesn't rape you.

    There's nothing wrong with a woman looking DECENT or NICE - mmmkay? Unless you're willing to date long term a woman who always wears the fugliest clothes you shouldn't spout that type of ****.

    Unless you're here saying that you admittedly behave like a caveman lunatic and eons of self control go out the window all over a bit of skin or something - because if that's your issue then you need serious help.

    Seriously. Just how lowly do you want to make yourself LOOK. Are you not capable of controlling yourself or something?
    Some men do behave like cavemen, and always will. I am not one of them, but I am familiar with their type.

    I really don't see why it is so offensive to suggest that women should take precautions to defend themselves against these kinds of men.

    You wouldn't park an expensive sports car in a bad inner city neighborhood and announce its presence with a loud speaker, you really shouldn't be too over the top in "showing off the goods" in a potentially dangerous environment or getting too overtly flirtatious with strange men either.

    If a woman is going to do that, she needs to take precautions to defend herself, like traveling with a group, limiting her alcohol consumption, and not allowing herself to be isolated with a man who could conceivably be dangerous.

    She's free not to if she so wishes, of course; but she is always going to be putting herself at risk in doing so.

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    I really hope you aren't speaking from personal experience here! If a woman is either saying no, crying, or trying to fight you off, I don't see how that's a misunderstanding.
    Of course not.

    However, anyone can tell you that most men will feel "lead on" by a provocatively dressed and overtly flirtatious woman who doesn't actually have any intention of sleeping with them. Some men, especially under the influence of alcohol, do not handle the eventual "no" interactions with such women tend to result in as well as others.

    In some cases, an extreme reaction, from a particular personality type, can result in a rape or sexual assault taking place.

    Most men are not like that, but some are. Women need to be wary of this, and not go deliberately out of their way to attract the wrong kinds of attention if they are not prepared to potentially defend themselves.

  4. #374
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Some men do behave like cavemen, and always will. I am not one of them, but I am familiar with their type.

    I really don't see why it is so offensive to suggest that women should take precautions to defend themselves against these kinds of men.

    You wouldn't park an expensive sports car in a bad inner city neighborhood and announce its presence with a loud speaker, you really shouldn't be too over the top in "showing off the goods" in a potentially dangerous environment or getting too overtly flirtatious with strange men either.

    If a woman is going to do that, she needs to take precautions to defend herself, like traveling with a group, limiting her alcohol consumption, and not allowing herself to be isolated with a man who could conceivably be dangerous.

    She's free not to if she so wishes, of course; but she is always going to be putting herself at risk in doing so.



    Of course not.

    However, anyone can tell you that most men will feel "lead on" by a provocatively dressed and overtly flirtatious woman who doesn't actually have any intention of sleeping with them. Some men, especially under the influence of alcohol, do not handle the eventual "no" interactions with such women tend to result in as well as others.

    In some cases, an extreme reaction, from a particular personality type, can result in a rape or sexual assault taking place.

    Most men are not like that, but some are. Women need to be wary of this, and not go deliberately out of their way to attract the wrong kinds of attention if they are not prepared to potentially defend themselves.
    I know you weren't addressing me, but I don't think it's offensive. However, throughout the thread you have been placing WAY too much emphasis on choice of clothing leading to rape, and it kind of seems as if you might be insinuating that women who dress in a certain way are perhaps partially responsible for a crime being committed against them.

    Anyway, I really do think it's a smart idea to take precautions, but like I said, I would still not ever say to a rape victim, "oh well you shouldn't have done this or that," because in most cases it probably wouldn't have really made much difference IMO. I think that most rapists are disturbed individuals, at least on some level.

    I'm heading off to bed now, so have a good night! No hard feelings I hope.

  5. #375
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    So wearing clothes that someone might find appealing = behaving stupidly?
    Give me a break. A woman knows damn well when she's wearing something explicitly provocative. Hell, it's usually by design.

    For that matter, I never claimed that clothing was the primary factor in driving these kinds of assaults in the first place. I said that it could be a contributing factor in some cases.

    Look at my original example, for instance.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, believe that if you want.

    In practical reality, on the other hand, things are almost never that simple. If a woman's wearing her best pair of booty shorts, spends the whole evening grinding said booty shorts up against some guy's crotch, lets him get her drunk while doing so, follows him to a secluded area afterwards, and then finds herself in an altercation at the end of the night when she says "no" and he tries to press the matter anyway, it cannot be denied that her poor choices ultimately did play a role in allowing the situation to escalate to that point.

    Does that make the man's actions any less wrong? Nope. He should be fried like the rapist scum he is.

    However, this doesn't alter the reality that it is very much in a woman's best interests to avoid the kinds of behaviors and situations which might result in her being victimized in the first place.
    There are legitimately some women like that out there.

    Do they deserve to be raped? No.

    Are they behaving like idiots either way regardless? Yup.

    Some rapes as in = rapes that are committed by the men who lose all sense of self control because she looks pretty - it's just THAT IRRESISTIBLE . . . must touch! He sees cleavage and is suddenly like a vampire in bloodlust.
    Or men that feel slighted by a woman they perceived as "teasing" them and "aren't going to take 'no' for an answer from a damn slut," or men who are simply too damn drunk to know the difference, or men who simply don't see a particular problem with taking advantage of a woman who has passed out of her own accord, etca, etca...

    Again, it is possible for rape to be a crime of passion rather than strictly pre-meditated.

    I'll wager that the only people who are THAT ****ED UP are mentally inept. So - if you work with the criminally insane or mentally inept, look out.

    For 99.99% of everyone else - follow through with the common sense things like 'don't hang out with guys who treat you and all other women like ****'.
    I never said that most men behave this way. Most don't.

    Some, however; do. Women are a lot more likely to run afoul of them if they deliberately try to attract the wrong kinds of attention than they are if they behave with a bit more restraint.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    So then you agree with me that the woman is NOT responsible for her rape because of clothing she is wearing.

    Well I don't do those things, but if a person is raped because they made a mistake or a bad judgment, then I still don't put any responsibility on the victim. SHE wasn't out trying to hurt anyone with her clothing.
    She is not responsible. The only "responsibility" a victim carries is making sure that they are not in a position to be victimized in the first place.

    Responsibility for the crime itself always falls on the perpetrator.

  6. #376
    Dungeon Master
    Veni, vidi, dormivi!

    spud_meister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Didjabringabeeralong
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    33,888
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    I only rape scantily clad men.
    So follow me into the desert
    As desperate as you are
    Where the moon is glued to a picture of heaven
    And all the little pigs have God

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I know you weren't addressing me, but I don't think it's offensive. However, throughout the thread you have been placing WAY too much emphasis on choice of clothing leading to rape, and it kind of seems as if you might be insinuating that women who dress in a certain way are perhaps partially responsible for a crime being committed against them.
    To be fair here, it kind of is the subject of the thread.

    As I've said from the start here, I don't think clothing can be considered to be a factor in all, or even most, rapes. I frankly don't even think that it is the major factor even in rapes where it can be said to have played a role. Behavior and environment are pretty much always more important.

    I simply disagree with the idea that it is impossible for clothing to ever play a role in creating the kinds of situations which make rape possible. Rather, I think it can serve as a contributing factor when speaking of certain kinds of rapes, that take place under very particular circumstances (i.e. date rapes). This is the case because very revealing clothing tends to draw a lot attention to a woman from men, and a portion of that attention will sometimes come from dangerous individuals.

    Again, however; as I pointed out earlier, most of that danger can be negated fairly easily. It simply requires that a woman takes precautions to ensure her safety, like traveling with a group, and avoiding getting too drunk or overly flirtatious with strange men if she doesn't have any interest in actually sleeping with them.

    All I'm suggesting is that this much should really be considered to be common sense, and that we should make a point of better emphasizing such realities to young and vulnerable women. Preaching that all men are simply going to behave themselves "because they should" is unrealistic, and can even be dangerously counter-productive in some cases.

    Anyway, I really do think it's a smart idea to take precautions, but like I said, I would still not ever say to a rape victim, "oh well you shouldn't have done this or that," because in most cases it probably wouldn't have really made much difference IMO. I think that most rapists are disturbed individuals, at least on some level.
    It certainly wouldn't be very sensitive after the fact. I fully agree with you there. lol

    However, that's exactly why I support spreading this kind of "preventative" knowledge before rapes happen in the first place. It might not stop rapes which are unrelated to these kinds of issues, but it certainly can play a role in making women less vulnerable to the kinds of assaults that actually are preventable.

    I'm heading off to bed now, so have a good night! No hard feelings I hope.
    None at all.

    Have a good night!
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-19-14 at 03:14 AM.

  8. #378
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,797

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    So then you agree with me that the woman is NOT responsible for her rape because of clothing she is wearing.
    Not responsible? No. She is not responsible for being raped. Did her choice of clothing have any bearing on her being a more likely victim? Perhaps. The whole "victim blaming" thing tends to miss the whole point of the argument, turning it into a black and white argument that deals only in emotion, not rational discourse.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #379
    Sage
    Phys251's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    12,784

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    Partially disagree. It may not be her "fault", but in some cases she should be held accountable for certain aspects.
    You are wrong. It is ALWAYS the rapist's fault. Period.
    "A man you can bait with a tweet is not a man we can trust with nuclear weapons." --Hillary Rodham Clinton
    "Innocent until proven guilty is for criminal convictions, not elections." --Mitt Romney

  10. #380
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    (none)
    Last Seen
    04-04-15 @ 09:11 PM
    Lean
    Communist
    Posts
    6,112
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    So skirts and dresses shouldn't be worn b/c it's easy access? Just asking.
    I wouldn't recommend it to my congressman for legislation. I would recommend it to my sister for her midnight trip to the gas station.

Page 38 of 84 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •