View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 37 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 370 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #361
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Okay, but I was never suggesting that women were to blame for their rapes anyway.

    I was simply saying that there are certain precautions a woman can take to make her less vulnerable to certain kinds of rapes. They should be encouraged to make use of them whenever possible, and not evade the subject by being told that men can be counted on to control themselves.
    Well when you claim it's 'about the wardrobe choices' then - yeah - you are saying they're to blame for their own rape. ("My god, woman, if you wore the LONG skirt instead of the SHORT skirt it wouldn't have happened!")

    It won't make them any more or less vulnerable: clothing and how it's attractive is pure opinion which varies widely. AND rape isn't about *the visual appeal* - it's about *the psychological appeal*

    Read some rape fantasies and tell me how much visuals play into anything - it DOESN'T. It's about control over another person and NOT their own self. You think it goes this way: "You look hot in that skirt - now I'm horny and I'm going to **** you" . . . NO! That is not what happens!
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #362
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Okay, but I was never suggesting that women were to blame for their rapes anyway.

    I was simply saying that there are certain precautions a woman can take to make her less vulnerable to certain kinds of rapes. They should be encouraged to make use of them whenever possible, and not evade the subject by being told that men can be counted on to control themselves.



    That's all I was saying in the first place.

    Not all rapists are obvious creeps, or have even necessarily raped before. There are a lot of different factors that can push a man over the edge in this regard.

    Assuming that they're all just power-tripping masterminds deliberately scoping out targets is a bit nave, IMO. Sometimes rapes escalate out of simple misunderstandings with horny and intoxicated men who aren't very receptive to hearing the word "no."
    Then, YES, he is a CREEP and a rapist.

  3. #363
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Well when you claim it's 'about the wardrobe choices' then - yeah - you are saying they're to blame for their own rape. ("My god, woman, if you wore the LONG skirt instead of the SHORT skirt it wouldn't have happened!")

    It won't make them any more or less vulnerable: clothing and how it's attractive is pure opinion which varies widely. AND rape isn't about *the visual appeal* - it's about *the psychological appeal*

    Read some rape fantasies and tell me how much visuals play into anything - it DOESN'T. It's about control over another person and NOT their own self. You think it goes this way: "You look hot in that skirt - now I'm horny and I'm going to **** you" . . . NO! That is not what happens!
    I think I read before that the most common victims of rape are actually street-level prostitutes.

    Those street hookers are usually not attractive and are not dressed to attract attention, so as not to attract the police. Also, they offer sex for cheap money and even for trade, so obviously rape, in most instances, is not about sex or attractiveness.

    Edit: OR clothing I should add.
    Last edited by ChrisL; 02-19-14 at 01:40 AM.

  4. #364
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Exactly because the only person to "blame" is the person who cannot control himself, the rapist. The victim is NOT responsible for being raped.
    I never once said that they were. I said that they should take precautions to ensure their own safety.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    They CAN, but if they choose not to or do not for some reason, that does not mean they should be held responsible when another person commits a crime against them. We don't do that with ANY other crimes.
    Again, this whole way of thinking simply strikes me as being problematic. It sends mixed messages.

    It basically reads like "I don't have to behave responsibly, because men should behave themselves."

    Well... I'm sorry, but that's simply not going to happen. Right or wrong, it's simply not.

    As such, repeating this kind of "wishful thinking" is effectively worthless.

    Teach prevention and responsible behavior and leave things at that. No rapist is getting off on the "she was asking for it" defense these days anyway.

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    IT is NOT a reality - that's the whole problem here with this - it is NOT a reality. It is BULL****.

    It's a MYTH.

    It is not REAL.

    It means NOTHING.

    It won't save a woman from being raped no matter WHAT.

    Okay?

    The sooner you accept that it's bull**** the sooner you can move on to accepting the REAL issues to ward against and be on the lookout for.



    Okay - get that? Can you READ THAT? OLD GRANNIES and LITTLE GIRLS get raped wearing moomoos and scummy clothes.

    Just because some asshole rapist says "SHE WAS DRESSED SEXILY" doesn't mean ****. Why in the **** are you buying into it? Goddamn - get the **** past that. It's like a curb that's two inches high. Holy ****!
    Clothing and behavior do play a role in some rapes, and some rapes legitimately can be prevented if a woman simply takes the precautions necessary to defend herself.

    This is especially the case with date rapes, which is what I am discussing right now.

    Rape prevention strategies are not a "myth." They are common sense.

  5. #365
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I think I read before that the most common victims of rape are actually street-level prostitutes.
    And unlike what Gathom is trying to say (that it's about being 'pushed over the edge' as if men who are sexually aroused lose all ability to not do something because their brains melt to mush) this makes sense because prostitutes are *easy victims* for those who are intent on raping.

    Crime of opportunity = finding those who are easy targets with minimal *risk* . . . a prostitute is the *least likely* to report the assault because her activities are illegal themselves.

    I don't believe for one second that a man who rapes a prostitute entered the situation with the idea of treating her with decent respect until - oh man - she rolled her eyes or something stupid like that.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  6. #366
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I never once said that they were. I said that they should take precautions to ensure their own safety.
    And if they do NOT, that doesn't mean they are responsible for a man making the conscious decision to rape them.


    Again, this whole way of thinking simply strikes me as being problematic. It sends mixed messages.

    It basically reads like "I don't have to behave responsibly, because men should behave themselves."

    Well... I'm sorry, but that's simply not going to happen. Right or wrong, it's simply not.

    As such, repeating this kind of "wishful thinking" is effectively worthless.

    Teach prevention and responsibility and leave things at that. No rapist is getting off on the "she was asking for it" defense these days anyway.
    Just like you said about rapists, it is NOT a perfect world, and people are never going to be perfect.

  7. #367
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I never once said that they were. I said that they should take precautions to ensure their own safety.



    Again, this whole way of thinking simply strikes me as being problematic. It sends mixed messages.

    It basically reads like "I don't have to behave responsibly, because men should behave themselves."

    Well... I'm sorry, but that's simply not going to happen. Right or wrong, it's simply not.

    As such, repeating this kind of "wishful thinking" is effectively worthless.

    Teach prevention and responsible behavior and leave things at that. No rapist is getting off on the "she was asking for it" defense these days anyway.



    Clothing and behavior do play a role in some rapes, and some rapes legitimately can be prevented if a woman simply takes the precautions necessary to defend herself.

    This is especially the case with date rapes, which is what I am discussing right now.

    Rape prevention strategies are not a "myth." They are common sense.
    So: wear a box on a date so he doesn't rape you.

    There's nothing wrong with a woman looking DECENT or NICE - mmmkay? Unless you're willing to date long term a woman who always wears the fugliest clothes you shouldn't spout that type of ****.

    Unless you're here saying that you admittedly behave like a caveman lunatic and eons of self control go out the window all over a bit of skin or something - because if that's your issue then you need serious help.

    Seriously. Just how lowly do you want to make yourself LOOK. Are you not capable of controlling yourself or something?
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  8. #368
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    GATH

    Not all rapists are obvious creeps, or have even necessarily raped before. There are a lot of different factors that can push a man over the edge in this regard.

    Assuming that they're all just power-tripping masterminds deliberately scoping out targets is a bit nave, IMO. Sometimes rapes escalate out of simple misunderstandings with horny and intoxicated men who aren't very receptive to hearing the word "no."
    I really hope you aren't speaking from personal experience here! If a woman is either saying no, crying, or trying to fight you off, I don't see how that's a misunderstanding.
    Last edited by herenow1; 02-19-14 at 01:50 AM.

  9. #369
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Well when you claim it's 'about the wardrobe choices' then - yeah - you are saying they're to blame for their own rape. ("My god, woman, if you wore the LONG skirt instead of the SHORT skirt it wouldn't have happened!")

    It won't make them any more or less vulnerable: clothing and how it's attractive is pure opinion which varies widely. AND rape isn't about *the visual appeal* - it's about *the psychological appeal*

    Read some rape fantasies and tell me how much visuals play into anything - it DOESN'T. It's about control over another person and NOT their own self. You think it goes this way: "You look hot in that skirt - now I'm horny and I'm going to **** you" . . . NO! That is not what happens!
    Again, I'm not talking about "all" or even "most" rapes here. If a woman is raped out of the blue, she really has no way of preventing that.

    However, some women do legitimately behave stupidly in environments that could contain potential rapists. In doing so, they put themselves at risk. You cannot deny this.

    Those women should be encouraged to alter their own behavior so that they can better defend themselves, not just throw caution to the wind and blithely assume that men will behave themselves "just because."

    Most men will, but a sizeable minority will not, and that sizeable minority will not be going away any time soon simply because they happen to be "politically incorrect."

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    And unlike what Gathom is trying to say (that it's about being 'pushed over the edge' as if men who are sexually aroused lose all ability to not do something because their brains melt to mush) this makes sense because prostitutes are *easy victims* for those who are intent on raping.

    Crime of opportunity = finding those who are easy targets with minimal *risk* . . . a prostitute is the *least likely* to report the assault because her activities are illegal themselves.

    I don't believe for one second that a man who rapes a prostitute entered the situation with the idea of treating her with decent respect until - oh man - she rolled her eyes or something stupid like that.
    Again, we're not talking about all rapes here, but some rapes.

    Date rapes generally aren't committed by some hardened serial rapist, but just some dumb drunk kid with a temper and not much respect for women.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    And if they do NOT, that doesn't mean they are responsible for a man making the conscious decision to rape them.
    It is possible to point out objectively foolish behavior without "blaming the victim," you know.

    Just like you said about rapists, it is NOT a perfect world, and people are never going to be perfect.
    Yes, which is exactly why a lot of "politically correct" women need to stop pretending like it is.

    There are bad men out there. You should never assume that some random stranger you meet out on the town has your best interests in mind and can be trusted.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-19-14 at 01:58 AM.

  10. #370
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Again, I'm not talking about "all" or even "most" rapes here. If a woman has is raped out of the blue, she really had no way of preventing that.

    However, some do legitimately behave stupidly in environments that could contain potential rapists, and, in doing so, put themselves at risk. You cannot deny this.

    Those women should be encouraged to alter their own behavior so that they can better defend themselves, not just throw caution to the wind and blithely assume that men will behave themselves "just because."

    Most will, but a sizeable minority will not, and that sizeable minority will not be going away any time soon simply because they happen to be "politically incorrect."
    So wearing clothes that someone might find appealing = behaving stupidly?

    Some rapes as in = rapes that are committed by the men who lose all sense of self control because she looks pretty - it's just THAT IRRESISTIBLE . . . must touch! He sees cleavage and is suddenly like a vampire in bloodlust.

    Come off it.

    I'll wager that the only people who are THAT ****ED UP are mentally inept. So - if you work with the criminally insane or mentally inept, look out.

    For 99.99% of everyone else - follow through with the common sense things like 'don't hang out with guys who treat you and all other women like ****'.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

Page 37 of 84 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •