View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #21
    Fourum Addmean
    shlunka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the sodomizers
    Last Seen
    03-18-16 @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,758

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You don't need a ski mask at 11pm when you're forcefully trying to get into a Cadillac.
    Nor does a female need to wear loose pants and sweaters on a hot summer night...
    Either I'm right or you're wrong.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    Most violent rapes have nothing to do with the clothing of the victim. The only cases where clothing might have some relevance are the so called "date rape" cases where the victim said she said NO and the defendant said she said YES.

    example

    William Kennedy Smith

    No one knows exactly what the conversation or discussion was between WKS and Patricia Bowman. He claimed the intercourse was consensual-she said it was not

    yet his version was supported by the facts that were not in dispute (like no grass stains on her dress-belying her claim that he threw her down and supporting his story that he put a blanket down on the grass before sex) also supporting his claim that she "picked him up" was the fact that she was wearing a very short minidress and 60 dollar black hose: this hurt her credibility when she claimed that the night in question she went out not to troll for men at a bar but rather to visit a friend and the friend's new born baby. Jurors noted that women normally don't get dolled up in slinky black dresses to play with babies but do dress that way to gain attention from men.
    True. However, I would also argue that even in a violent rape where opportunity was the major factor, overly attention grabbing attire might sometimes play a role. After all, if there is, in fact, a dangerous man lurking around somewhere, the last thing a woman wants to do is deliberately draw his attention towards her.

    Walking through a bad neighborhood at night all alone might very well be a bad idea in and of itself. However, doing so in a bikini certainly wouldn't do anything to help matters either.

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    Saying it just escalated is just another excuse...

    If a woman doesn't want to have sex with a man and he still forces it, it's rape. If you're talking about other scenarios where it's not clear that it was rape (such as if they were both completely wasted) then it might be a different story.
    Call it what you want.

    The fact of the matter is that a woman's clothing and behavior can be a contributing factor to sexual misunderstandings that sometimes escalate into rape.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-18-14 at 05:56 PM.

  3. #23
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Most cases of rape in the U.S. are with spousal/partnered people. So no, I don't think clothing has anything to do with it.

    Rape is always about power and control, not sex.

  4. #24
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Since posters are getting upset that the yoga thread keeps getting derailed I will ask this here. Do you think most (true cases- not made up, let's not turn this into he said she said discussion) people who get raped are wearing revealing clothing?
    I think that there are certain behaviors that increase a person's risk of being raped, but wearing revealing clothing isn't one of them. Or at least it's so minor as to be not worth mentioning.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  5. #25
    Anti-Hypocrite
    molten_dragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Southeast Michigan
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,351

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    Rape is always about power and control, not sex.
    This quote is always trotted out whenever a discussion of rape takes place, and I always find it ridiculous. There are many ways to demonstrate power and control over someone, rape is only one of them. So to say that rape is not about sex at all is just silly. It may also be about power and control, but it's at least partly about sex.
    If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

    If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

  6. #26
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    You don't need a ski mask at 11pm when you're forcefully trying to get into a Cadillac.
    The Mayor: "Callahan, I don't want any more trouble like you had last year in the Fillmore district. You understand? That is my policy.

    Dirty Harry: Yeah, when an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard, that is my policy.

    The Mayor: Intent? How'd you establish that?

    Dirty Harry: When a naked man is chasing a woman through a dark alley with a butcher knife and a hard on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross.



  7. #27
    Professor
    Monserrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    04-29-14 @ 11:53 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    1,497

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    True, though, I would also argue that even in a violent rape where opportunity was the major factor, overly attention grabbing attire might sometimes play a role. After all, if there is, in fact, a dangerous man lurking around somewhere, the last thing a woman wants to do is deliberately draw his attention towards her.

    Walking through a bad neighborhood at night all alone might very well be a bad idea in and of itself. However, doing so in a bikini certainly wouldn't do anything to help matters either.



    Call it what you want.

    The fact of the matter is that a woman's clothing and behavior can be a contributing factor to sexual misunderstandings that sometimes escalate into rape.
    Ummm... no. It's not a misunderstanding if a women does not consent if he still rapes her it's not because of what she wore or how she acted. It's all on him, he has the problem and it usually has to do with issues of power and control.
    I believe half of the things I say and say half of the things I believe.

  8. #28
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Since posters are getting upset that the yoga thread keeps getting derailed I will ask this here. Do you think most (true cases- not made up, let's not turn this into he said she said discussion) people who get raped are wearing revealing clothing?
    I think it's pretty well documented that most rapes are crimes of control/power rather than merely sex - therefore, the actual "sexiness" of the woman's attire is pretty much irrelevant - it's the opportunity that attracts the most.

    Secondly, if I'm not mistaken, a lot of rapes are committed by men the woman knows - again, control/power and circumstance/opportunity as a result of that familiarity between the victim/rapist.

    Finally, one can't deny that the sexualization of women at an ever younger age leaves many young men to consider women/girls as simply objects of sex to be used. That's a trend that would benefit society if it was reversed.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  9. #29
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Monserrat View Post
    Ummm... no. It's not a misunderstanding if a women does not consent if he still rapes her it's not because of what she wore or how she acted. It's all on him, he has the problem and it usually has to do with issues of power and control.
    legally you are correct

    but if the man said she consented and she says she did not, the trier of fact must uses collective common sense to determine who was telling the truth. And if a woman said she had no intention of taking a guy home for sex yet there he is and witnesses testify she was dressed as if she was trying to pick up men, that will weigh heavily in the jury's determination



  10. #30
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Last Seen
    01-21-16 @ 12:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    51,124

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Since posters are getting upset that the yoga thread keeps getting derailed I will ask this here. Do you think most (true cases- not made up, let's not turn this into he said she said discussion) people who get raped are wearing revealing clothing?
    I don't know. What does the research say?

Page 3 of 84 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •