View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 24 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #231
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I would think that depends upon the person. Some women might dress to the nines everywhere they go because that's just who they are. That's why I don't like that they would use clothing as evidence.
    well what you like is one thing and evidence is another. now if someone pulls a knife out and jumps a woman as she walks down the street and rapes her, she could be butt naked and he's gonna get 15 to life. ON the other hand, if a woman goes home with a man and then claims rape the next day, how she acted, how she dressed and how she appeared to OTHERS before she left with the man is going to be fair game to his attorney to ask about.



  2. #232
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    You can not make the assumption that that is her intent.
    guys do it all the time. and so will a jury

    since no one other than the couple was witness to what she said right before she is penetrated, the jury has to decide based on what was witnessed by others



  3. #233
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    We all make judgments about others all the time. How someone presents themselves to the world, including how they dress, is often how people judge them. Is it always right or accurate? No. But we do it, sometimes consciously, sometimes unconsciously. We make judgments about business by their employees dress and actions. Everyone does it, whether right or wrong. That is one thing I think many young people don't understand, yes, they have the freedom to "express" themselves, but people will judge them by it.

    Sometimes, like in a "he said, she said" type scenario, how someone dresses, how someone acts, and how someone talks will influence our judgment of who is telling the truth, even if it is inaccurate.
    I totally agree with that, and I think that is a good reason why what the woman was wearing might not be a good idea to be allowed as "evidence." Because people are going to judge her according to their own standards of clothing, and that's not fair.

  4. #234
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    I don't either, Herenow1. I just don't think it's enough. Nor do I think it's a particularly effective first line of defense.
    I agree. Awareness of your surroundings is always the first line.

    Some places someone goes, they wouldn't think about a gun. Other places, that same person will keep their gun in close proximity to their gun hand and be aware of whether it is clear and easily accessible.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  5. #235
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    well what you like is one thing and evidence is another. now if someone pulls a knife out and jumps a woman as she walks down the street and rapes her, she could be butt naked and he's gonna get 15 to life. ON the other hand, if a woman goes home with a man and then claims rape the next day, how she acted, how she dressed and how she appeared to OTHERS before she left with the man is going to be fair game to his attorney to ask about.
    I can agree with the how she acted, but not how she "looked." Sorry, don't agree with that!

  6. #236
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    guys do it all the time. and so will a jury

    since no one other than the couple was witness to what she said right before she is penetrated, the jury has to decide based on what was witnessed by others
    Douchy guys.

  7. #237
    Professor
    herenow1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    12-11-15 @ 11:07 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,686

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. I would think that depends upon the person. Some women might dress to the nines everywhere they go because that's just who they are. That's why I don't like that they would use clothing as evidence.
    Makes me think about some teen girls I used to work with as a mentor who were sexually abused. One girl would dress like a tomboy and wore baggy clothes all the time. She was conditioned to believe that if she dressed that way, no man could ever take advantage of her again. Then you have the extreme opposite where they are super promiscuous and show all the goods in hopes of getting some attn. Both attitudes are unhealthy!

  8. #238
    Sage

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    The Republic of Texas.
    Last Seen
    11-15-17 @ 11:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    5,647

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I totally agree with that, and I think that is a good reason why what the woman was wearing might not be a good idea to be allowed as "evidence." Because people are going to judge her according to their own standards of clothing, and that's not fair.
    I have to disagree. In a situation like a jury, where people are asked to make judgment about guild or innocence, I think it is important that the jury is given as accurate a picture as possible of how things were at the alleged time and place of the crime.

    Defense attorney's are very aware of the tendency of people to make judgments on those factors and always try to make sure their clients present the cleanest, most favorable appearance while in court instead of letting the jury see the defendants as they are normally or at the time of the alleged crime. The jury should see them as they were at the time of the crime, not cleaned up and coached on what to say.
    Only a fool measures equality by results and not opportunities.

  9. #239
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,574

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
    Makes me think about some teen girls I used to work with as a mentor who were sexually abused. One girl would dress like a tomboy and wore baggy clothes all the time. She was conditioned to believe that if she dressed that way, no man could ever take advantage of her again. Then you have the extreme opposite where they are super promiscuous and show all the goods in hopes of getting some attn. Both attitudes are unhealthy!
    lots of extremely obese women were the victims of rape or abuse. Where I first worked after graduating law school was a firm the had a 350+ pound woman who was the IT expert. One day I was at a Xmas party and someone had some photographs of the firm 12 or so years before I was hired. There was a tall knockout brunette in them and I said "who is that?". One of the long timers said it was "Kristie" the IT. I said WTF? and the woman noted that this woman had been in a very abusive relationship afterwards that led to her partner being convicted of DV and assault. after that she just started getting fatter and fatter. Later, when a girlfriend of the woman I was dating at the time was assaulted by a boyfriend, I served as her counsel and met with rape counselors. They told me the same thing-many obese women were rape or sexual abuse victims



  10. #240
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by DVSentinel View Post
    I have to disagree. In a situation like a jury, where people are asked to make judgment about guild or innocence, I think it is important that the jury is given as accurate a picture as possible of how things were at the alleged time and place of the crime.

    Defense attorney's are very aware of the tendency of people to make judgments on those factors and always try to make sure their clients present the cleanest, most favorable appearance while in court instead of letting the jury see the defendants as they are normally or at the time of the alleged crime. The jury should see them as they were at the time of the crime, not cleaned up and coached on what to say.
    That is not right at all. They should not be able to use a person's appearance against them. It's not fair because it does not indicate that the woman wanted to have sex. She could just be a person who dresses provocatively and it doesn't have anything to do with sex as far as SHE is concerned.

Page 24 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •