View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 13 of 84 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Arcana XV View Post
    You guys should get a room. This exactly how TED and I started out. Arguing with each other constantly on a political forum.
    I'm speechless, and that doesn't happen often!

  2. #122
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    I don't agree with any of the things as written. However, I do think that, all other things being equal, a woman who dresses provocatively has a higher chance of being raped or assaulted. I'm not blaming the woman for the rape but let's be honest, there are things that can be done that can lessen the chance. Take being mugged. Two men in a bad part of town, one who looks like they haven't got any money and the other who walks down the streets with hundred dollar bills hanging out of their pockets, who is most likely to get mugged, all other considerations being equal? People need to realize that just because they have the freedom to do a thing doesn't mean it's necessarily the best thing to do.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #123
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Listen, in what situation does any adult hand over any level of responsibility for their actions to the person they victimized? In a situation where they were provoked. Say for instance, I walk up and punch you in the nose. You punch me back. While you are responsible for the punch you threw you are let off the hook a little because you were provoked. Some would say the guy had it coming. Are you saying if a woman dresses sexy, she's got it coming?
    Go back to the mugging scenario I mentioned earlier. Can any mugging victim be said to have "provoked" their attacker?

    Does this change the fact that avoiding certain behaviors and certain attention grabbing styles of dress in areas where the risk of mugging is high tends to be a good idea?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Oh well then, maybe we should shave our heads, get fat, not wear makeup and make ourselves look as ugly as humanly possible because you never know WHAT some dude might find "attractive."

    Only THAT wouldn't work because fat and unattractive women get raped too. If we all really want to be honest, the MAIN reason why women get raped is because they have a vagina, they are physically weaker and smaller than men, and some men take advantage of that fact to just "take" what they want. PERIOD.
    Yes. Which is why we are suggesting that you guys look out for yourselves.

    We're only saying it because we care!

  4. #124
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Well, I have to go do some work on the computer, but I'll be back later to argue with you all some more! Later!

  5. #125
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm speechless, and that doesn't happen often!
    It's true. He's turned out to be one of the great loves of my life.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  6. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I'm speechless, and that doesn't happen often!
    Oh, I've heard that one before.

  7. #127
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It's not about clothing. If she was dressing provocatively, it means that she was asking for it. No rape.
    Are you ****ing serious?
    *insert profound statement here*

  8. #128
    Every day I'm hustlin'..
    Lerxst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Nationwide...
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    15,462

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    This discussion is all over the map. Rape isn't about clothing. It's mainly about violence and power. There is obviously a sexual element to it but for the most part it is about demonstrating power over the victim through violence. If you think a sexual assault is about sex you're wrong. The sexual arousal comes from the motive behind the rape, they are feeding a desire much more malignant than just a need for immediate sexual gratification.

    I've interviewed many sexual assault suspects over the years. It's never about "I was horny and she was there and she wearing that little skirt."
    *insert profound statement here*

  9. #129
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Go back to the mugging scenario I mentioned earlier. Can any mugging victim be said to have "provoked" their attacker?

    Does this change the fact that avoiding certain behaviors and certain attention grabbing styles of dress in areas where the risk of mugging is high tends to be a good idea?
    Because you are shifting responsibility to the victim. It implies a passive acceptance or "boys will be boys" attitude that enables such behavior on the part of men.
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  10. #130
    Gone

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    10-16-16 @ 03:15 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    8,585

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Christ almighty!! If what you said was true, only women dressed scantily would be getting raped, and ONLY attractive ones. THAT is certainly far from being the case. Ugly women, fat women, dirty women, homeless women, drug-addled women have also been victims of rape. It has really nothing to do with her appearance whatsoever in MOST cases. Most of the time it is a crime of opportunity.
    And...there it is.

    Thread ended by reality.

Page 13 of 84 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •