View Poll Results: Rape and clothing correlation

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • I suspect women are wearing revealing clothes in most rape cases

    1 0.98%
  • I suspect that a man/woman will rape regardless of the victims clothing

    28 27.45%
  • I think some women are inviting dangerous attention when wearing revealing attire

    6 5.88%
  • I don't think clothes have anything to do with rape

    56 54.90%
  • Other

    11 10.78%
Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 840

Thread: Rape and Clothing

  1. #111
    He's the most tip top
    Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,280

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    It's not about clothing. If she was dressing provocatively, it means that she was asking for it. No rape.
    Wow, just wow. So any woman in her bikini at the beach wants to be raped?

    My brain is aching reading into the stupidity of your comments.

  2. #112
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    She's been kind of grouchy lately. Not sure why.
    Pardon me, but I'm not trying to be "grouchy." It angers me when people try to lay responsibility for a crime onto the victim. Besides, I've had similar discussions with you before, and I already know how you feel about women's clothing choices. You would be happy if we all wore burqas! That is extremely annoying to most women to say the least.

  3. #113
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    I haven't read the thread, but usually when this topic comes up people argue that the woman is responsible for her own actions. The problem seems to come in most of the time when people misconstrue that argument for more than it is.

    Many times drunk young men are dangerous and women should do their best to avoid situations where they are left alone with them. Women should also avoid wearing certain kinds of clothing around certain audiences and in certain situations, and that means, it is their responsibility in understanding what those audiences are and where those situations happen to be. Women should be aware that they are first line of defense and it is their responsibility, much as it is all our responsibility, to keep ourselves safe from those that might cause us harm. It is always best to avoid situations where you have to defend yourself with your bear hands or with any sort of weapon if at all possible. Being brave is one thing, but being stupid is another entire animal and people shouldn't confuse the two. Wearing something around drunk young men that they can easily see a ton of skin is probably not the best idea out there.

    What I just said isn't saying the rapists isn't at fault for his actions, but it is saying that understanding the situation and avoiding that situation involves understanding why it happens and taking precautionary measures to avoid it. The fact is men get turned on by certain types of clothing choices, and when they're impaired by drugs or some other means bad things can happen and one of those things is rape. Clothing choices matter in all kinds of situations in life and this is just another one. There is no reason to be upset about it.

    I imagine I will regret posting in this thread.

  4. #114
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Wow, just wow. So any woman in her bikini at the beach wants to be raped?

    My brain is aching reading into the stupidity of your comments.
    Only a string bikini. A tankini is just to allow men a quick glance. Not asking for it then.

  5. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    That cure is to be smart when you're out, don't drink too much, don't go off alone with people you do not know, and always stay with your group. It really has NOTHING to do with clothing Gathomas, and I think you know this. Women CAN wear revealing clothing and NOT be raped because rape is more a crime of opportunity than based on sexual attraction or what a person is wearing.
    I'm not saying that those aren't all great ideas too.

    However, you cannot deny that clothing can and sometimes does play a role as well. Like it or not, a lot of men are always going to take revealing clothing on a woman as being an indicator that she is open to sexual advances.

    Some of those men will inevitably be either rapists, or generally disrespectful people who have the potential to be rapists. This intrinsically increases the level of risk scantily clad women in such environments are placed under.

    If a woman takes precautions (traveling in a group, not drinking to excess, not going out of her way to lead men on sexually) much of that risk can be effectively managed and kept to an acceptable minimum level. If she does not, however; and rather chooses to behave stupidly in addition to drawing attention to herself, she might very well find herself getting into trouble.

    That's simply how the world works.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-18-14 at 07:56 PM.

  6. #116
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Pardon me, but I'm not trying to be "grouchy." It angers me when people try to lay responsibility for a crime onto the victim. Besides, I've had similar discussions with you before, and I already know how you feel about women's clothing choices. You would be happy if we all wore burqas! That is extremely annoying to most women to say the least.
    I don't believe I ever said anything of the kind, Chris.

  7. #117
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Well, yea. It's horrible.

    However, it's also not going to change. It is what it is.

    If women want to be safe if that environment, they need to take precautions.
    Listen, in what situation does any adult hand over any level of responsibility for their actions to the person they victimized? In a situation where they were provoked. Say for instance, I walk up and punch you in the nose. You punch me back. While you are responsible for the punch you threw you are let off the hook a little because you were provoked. Some would say the guy had it coming. Are you saying if a woman dresses sexy, she's got it coming?
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  8. #118
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I haven't read the thread, but usually when this topic comes up people argue that the woman is responsible for her own actions. The problem seems to come in most of the time when people misconstrue that argument for more than it is.

    Many times drunk young men are dangerous and women should do their best to avoid situations where they are left alone with them. Women should also avoid wearing certain kinds of clothing around certain audiences and in certain situations, and that means, it is their responsibility in understanding what those audiences are and where those situations happen to be. Women should be aware that they are first line of defense and it is their responsibility, much as it is all our responsibility, to keep ourselves safe from those that might cause us harm. It is always best to avoid situations where you have to defend yourself with your bear hands or with any sort of weapon if at all possible. Being brave is one thing, but being stupid is another entire animal and people shouldn't confuse the two. Wearing something around drunk young men that they can easily see a ton of skin is probably not the best idea out there.

    What I just said isn't saying the rapists isn't at fault for his actions, but it is saying that understanding the situation and avoiding that situation involves understanding why it happens and taking precautionary measures to avoid it. The fact is men get turned on by certain types of clothing choices, and when they're impaired by drugs or some other means bad things can happen and one of those things is rape. Clothing choices matter in all kinds of situations in life and this is just another one. There is no reason to be upset about it.

    I imagine I will regret posting in this thread.
    Oh well then, maybe we should shave our heads, get fat, not wear makeup and make ourselves look as ugly as humanly possible because you never know WHAT some dude might find "attractive."

    Only THAT wouldn't work because fat and unattractive women get raped too. If we all really want to be honest, the MAIN reason why women get raped is because they have a vagina, they are physically weaker and smaller than men, and some men take advantage of that fact to just "take" what they want. PERIOD.

  9. #119
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    I don't believe I ever said anything of the kind, Chris.
    I think you did. Maybe in not so many words.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Rape and Clothing

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    She's been kind of grouchy lately. Not sure why.
    You guys should get a room. This exactly how TED and I started out. Arguing with each other constantly on a political forum.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

Page 12 of 84 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •