View Poll Results: is their good and evil

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes there is good and evil

    20 55.56%
  • no such thing as good and evil

    6 16.67%
  • insanity is what makes people do bad things

    3 8.33%
  • sometimes it's insanity sometimes pure evil

    1 2.78%
  • sometimes it's both

    6 16.67%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 55

Thread: good evil sane insane

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Quote Originally Posted by Paschendale View Post
    Evil is not a thing unto itself. It's not a force, or an entity. It's people rationalizing selfish actions that hurt others. Blaming evil on anything but one's own complacency and selfishness is just passing the buck.
    IMO it does not pass the buck because you have to invite evil into your heart. We have a God given freedom of choice.

  2. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Yeah, but claiming that some unseen force caused someone to do evil, negates their own responsibility. I don't believe it works that way. There may be a force that offers choices, temptations, etc but we learn right from wrong, or positive from negative and creative from destructive actions. Good and evil are just other terms that connote some divine, innate morals from another realm. Only a Lord could judge us as good or evil, guilty or innocent. All we can say about each other is that we're either flawed or error free.
    Maybe that lord gave us an innate ability to distinguish good from evil and to choose which path to follow.

  3. #23
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Maybe that lord gave us an innate ability to distinguish good from evil and to choose which path to follow.
    Define evil and good?

    The Lord created us innocently ignorant with the only way for us to learn being thru education, experience and choices. You don't really expect most of us not to not make ignorant choices and mistakes? It's really hard to not deceive ourselves sometimes, no matter how good you think you are. It's not about a rating system but rather a living experience and contribution.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Define evil and good?

    The Lord created us innocently ignorant with the only way for us to learn being thru education, experience and choices. You don't really expect most of us not to not make ignorant choices and mistakes? It's really hard to not deceive ourselves sometimes, no matter how good you think you are. It's not about a rating system but rather a living experience and contribution.
    Some acts are obviously good or obviously evil. There are levels of both though. Murdering someone for a thrill is obviously major evil while selling a car to someone without disclosing a problem that car has is a minor evil but when you do it you know it was wrong and feel guilt. If you are basically good that is.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,515

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Quote Originally Posted by loader View Post
    yes there is good and evil
    no such thing as good and evil
    A very conservative who is very zen? Very interesting!

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: good evil sane insane

    I think it all boils down to excessive selfishness and/or anger. Even if someone is insane they need to be selfish and/or angry to want to cause harm. Selfishness and anger appear evil but the "evil' person thinks that their acts are justified by their needs or the things that happened to them. Most violent people were abused as children or victims of violence later in life.

    Harmful is a more accurate word than evil. Evil suggests that there is some external force that motivates people. I don't believe that, we act in evil ways when we don't control our selfishness and/or anger.
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 02-17-14 at 04:57 PM.

  7. #27
    Sage
    Mach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    11,515

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Maybe that lord gave us an innate ability to distinguish good from evil and to choose which path to follow.
    Modern science understands innate ability as some combination of instinct, brain development, evolutionary adaptation, etc.

    That good/evil are not part of some dark/good forces beyond our understanding doesn't make them any less good or evil...if anything IMO it means we should take even more responsibility for acting good/bad.

    After all, if you believe dark forces made someone do bad things, why do we blame the person and not just exorcise those dastardly demons?

  8. #28
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Some acts are obviously good or obviously evil. There are levels of both though. Murdering someone for a thrill is obviously major evil while selling a car to someone without disclosing a problem that car has is a minor evil but when you do it you know it was wrong and feel guilt. If you are basically good that is.
    Murdering someone for a thrill is nuts or mentally ill. Selling a car without a disclosure is dishonest or shady. Those are different levels of human error, not some insidious, malevolent force. Most people want basically good for themselves and others, the problems occur on how they arrive to those outcomes.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #29
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Quote Originally Posted by Mach View Post
    Modern science understands innate ability as some combination of instinct, brain development, evolutionary adaptation, etc.

    That good/evil are not part of some dark/good forces beyond our understanding doesn't make them any less good or evil...if anything IMO it means we should take even more responsibility for acting good/bad.

    After all, if you believe dark forces made someone do bad things, why do we blame the person and not just exorcise those dastardly demons?
    I believe people invite dark forces into their souls so they do indeed have responsibility. If you are drawn to evil, evil is drawn to you.

  10. #30
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: good evil sane insane

    Good and evil are concepts for little kids. Hobbes said it best: "Whatsoever is the object of any man's Appetite or Desire; that is it which he for his part calleth Good: and the object of his Hate and Aversion, evil."
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •