View Poll Results: Would you get Internet for Free?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    10 41.67%
  • No

    1 4.17%
  • Only if it's fast enough

    13 54.17%
  • Don't Care

    0 0%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 59

Thread: Free Internet!

  1. #11
    Iconoclast
    DaveFagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    wny
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:45 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    7,303

    Re: Free Internet!

    I'm rural. Two wire copper Internet. 31.2 kbps. The dinosaur age for me, and sure I'd love it and happily pay for hardware.

  2. #12
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Free Internet!

    We're looking at it from our own perspective, of course.

    Imagine other countries who censor their population's internet access!! It really could change the world.

    Or start the first inter-stellar war.

  3. #13
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Free Internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by Carjosse View Post
    I imagine it would coast you an arm and a leg.
    Their service is free, are you talking about a WiFi receiver for the PC? That shouldn't, theoretically, be more involved than the USB one, I use now for my router?
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  4. #14
    Sage


    eohrnberger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:08 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,939
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Free Internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    New York company says it can beam free OUTERNET Wi-fi to every person on Earth | Mail Online

    This article claims, there's a company (Outernet), trying to put up enough small, low orbit satellites to beam free internet to the whole world.

    I assume with built in Wifi or a wireless router you could get "Free Internet" and at decent speeds?

    Though, I don't see the ISP's taking kindly to this, like Comcast or Time Warner Cable. Personally, I'd love to see free internet and possibly TV channels. Saving $100 a month would definitely help my bills.
    The cost of putting up a number of low earth satellites, with no way to recoup the expenses? A business plan recycled from the tech bubble then. Yeah, I remember the soxs.com web site.

  5. #15
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Free Internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    New York company says it can beam free OUTERNET Wi-fi to every person on Earth | Mail Online

    This article claims, there's a company (Outernet), trying to put up enough small, low orbit satellites to beam free internet to the whole world.

    I assume with built in Wifi or a wireless router you could get "Free Internet" and at decent speeds?

    Though, I don't see the ISP's taking kindly to this, like Comcast or Time Warner Cable. Personally, I'd love to see free internet and possibly TV channels. Saving $100 a month would definitely help my bills.
    First off... Mail is not a credible source.

    Second of all this stinks of a scam.

    In no way can they put in the infrastructure for such a thing, that is able to handle "free" internet and the capacity needed. Who will pay for getting up the satellites, let alone the satellites themselves? There are so many unanswered questions about this "deal". There has to be put in restrictions like no Netflix, no HBO, no Youtube and so on, and then frankly how great is such a service?

    Lower internet prices will only come with competition but it will only ever be free at the library and other public buildings... and even then it wont really be free and open.
    PeteEU

  6. #16
    Sit Nomine Digna
    Carjosse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montreal, QC, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    11,205

    Re: Free Internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    Their service is free, are you talking about a WiFi receiver for the PC? That shouldn't, theoretically, be more involved than the USB one, I use now for my router?
    You pay a lot of money for data on a phone for maybe 2GB, so I doubt it would be any cheaper.

  7. #17
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:06 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,421

    Re: Free Internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by grip View Post
    New York company says it can beam free OUTERNET Wi-fi to every person on Earth | Mail Online

    This article claims, there's a company (Outernet), trying to put up enough small, low orbit satellites to beam free internet to the whole world.

    I assume with built in Wifi or a wireless router you could get "Free Internet" and at decent speeds?

    Though, I don't see the ISP's taking kindly to this, like Comcast or Time Warner Cable. Personally, I'd love to see free internet and possibly TV channels. Saving $100 a month would definitely help my bills.
    I'm going with the question at face value.

    Would I take free internet? Well yeah, DUH!!!

    It would have to be workably fast, of course.

    If somebody did develop this technology, though, and it really worked, I'd expect some large current media company to buy it and keep it unavailable.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #18
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Free Internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    We're looking at it from our own perspective, of course.

    Imagine other countries who censor their population's internet access!! It really could change the world.

    Or start the first inter-stellar war.
    Even the Chinese can't effectively monitor their populations Internet usage. They download a free program called Putty, which they use to set up a free shell account and use SSH tunneling to encrypt and port their connection. That bypasses censorship and bandwidth throttling.

    But it would definitely start some courtroom battles, between telecom companies and them.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  9. #19
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Free Internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    I'm going with the question at face value.

    Would I take free internet? Well yeah, DUH!!!

    It would have to be workably fast, of course.

    If somebody did develop this technology, though, and it really worked, I'd expect some large current media company to buy it and keep it unavailable.
    I think this company, out of NYC, are trying to do this for altruistic reasons and not money motivated.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

  10. #20
    Light△Bender

    grip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    ☚ ☛
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 02:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    17,224
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Free Internet!

    Quote Originally Posted by eohrnberger View Post
    The cost of putting up a number of low earth satellites, with no way to recoup the expenses? A business plan recycled from the tech bubble then. Yeah, I remember the soxs.com web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    First off... Mail is not a credible source.

    Second of all this stinks of a scam.

    In no way can they put in the infrastructure for such a thing, that is able to handle "free" internet and the capacity needed. Who will pay for getting up the satellites, let alone the satellites themselves? There are so many unanswered questions about this "deal". There has to be put in restrictions like no Netflix, no HBO, no Youtube and so on, and then frankly how great is such a service?

    Lower internet prices will only come with competition but it will only ever be free at the library and other public buildings... and even then it wont really be free and open.
    Again, naysayers who don't bother reading the articles or links.

    They're expecting $millions in contributions and they're using 100's of small, low orbit, cube satellites. I don't think the websites can control content thru connections that easily. Now, TV Networks or other entertainment providers already do control content thru their websites and I don't see that changing, unless they can get mega buck advertisers from sheer volume usage.

    You know Napster, essentially changed the way the music industry worked by providing songs for free. I can listen and download practically anything from Youtube. Haven't bought an album in decades, just download MP3's or vids.
    Einstein, "science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •