View Poll Results: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 6.85%
  • No

    68 93.15%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

  1. #1
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:54 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,399

    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Yes?
    No?

    I'm going to purposely leave out a "Maybe" option. For this question I think people should be able to make a choice one way or another.

    In some ways it would seem so. We have the whole gamut of ideologies, genders, orientations, ethnicities, and so on. But, I would say 'no' for the simple reason that the vast majority of people here are here because they care deeply about social and/or political issues. Deeply enough to actually discuss them. The majority of average society does not care that deeply, and is seemingly perfectly fine with hiding their collective heads in the sand and willfully ignoring issues that affect them directly. They are fine with letting others make critical decisions for them.

    I believe that we here at DP are in the minority.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #2
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Yes?
    No?

    I'm going to purposely leave out a "Maybe" option. For this question I think people should be able to make a choice one way or another.

    In some ways it would seem so. We have the whole gamut of ideologies, genders, orientations, ethnicities, and so on. But, I would say 'no' for the simple reason that the vast majority of people here are here because they care deeply about social and/or political issues. Deeply enough to actually discuss them. The majority of average society does not care that deeply, and is seemingly perfectly fine with hiding their collective heads in the sand and willfully ignoring issues that affect them directly. They are fine with letting others make critical decisions for them.

    I believe that we here at DP are in the minority.
    You make a good point about why you believe DP is not a fair cross-section of society as a whole. My thoughts are the same but for a different reason: Most people don't post on internet forums. Those who do probably fall into one of just a few categories: unemployed; retired; in school. Very few posters (I don't THINK) are working stiffs.

  3. #3
    Dungeon Master
    Chicks dig the long ball

    azgreg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,105

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    My guess is not even close. The people who frequent these types of forums are more read on politics and current events. Most people go through life with blinders on just trying to get to the next day.
    I have CDO, it's like OCD but the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be.

  4. #4
    free market communist
    Gardener's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Last Seen
    09-30-17 @ 12:27 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    26,661

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Absolutely not.

    Since it actively protects every nut job conspiracy theorist, knuckle dragging bigot and pieces of human filth from the sort of derision they would face were they to spew their idiocy in public, it tends to attract more than its share of nut jobs, bigots and human filth. Of the rest of us, this is still a sampling non-reflective of society at large because we are more zealous about politics to begin with. THis isn't a random sampling, but a sampling based upon degree of interest.
    "you're better off on Stormfront discussing how evil brown men are taking innocent white flowers." Infinite Chaos

  5. #5
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?


    Yes?
    No?

    I'm going to purposely leave out a "Maybe" option. For this question I think people should be able to make a choice one way or another.

    In some ways it would seem so. We have the whole gamut of ideologies, genders, orientations, ethnicities, and so on. But, I would say 'no' for the simple reason that the vast majority of people here are here because they care deeply about social and/or political issues. Deeply enough to actually discuss them. The majority of average society does not care that deeply, and is seemingly perfectly fine with hiding their collective heads in the sand and willfully ignoring issues that affect them directly. They are fine with letting others make critical decisions for them.

    I believe that we here at DP are in the minority.



    I'm going with NO.

    And I'm going to say that I believe that the USA would be a better place if I could say yes.

    OTOH, I do believe that the USA is headed in the right direction, but it might take a while for it to get there.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You make a good point about why you believe DP is not a fair cross-section of society as a whole. My thoughts are the same but for a different reason: Most people don't post on internet forums. Those who do probably fall into one of just a few categories: unemployed; retired; in school. Very few posters (I don't THINK) are working stiffs.
    I dunno Maggie. I'm semi retired now but I was a politics chat room junkie when I was working 70 hrs a week. I'd do it at night and on weekends but I was hooked.

  7. #7
    Only Losers H8 Capitalism
    Spartacus FPV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    In your echo chamber
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    12,888

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Not to me, in my experience most socialists will never admit it in person.
    Haymarket's "support" of the 2nd Amendment, a right he believes we never had.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    no. You cannot lose rights you do not have in the first place. There is no such thing as the right to have any weapon of your choice regardless of any other consideration. It simply does not exist.

  8. #8
    Dungeon Master
    Somewhere in Babylon
    Jetboogieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in Babylon...
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,273
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Sort of.

    Working customer service you see that there are all kinds of whacky people out there.

    But for the most part I think most people are good, and thats the case here.

    Most DPers are standup folk who try to do whats right.

    But like everyone... we most certainly have our nuts.

  9. #9
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gardener View Post
    Absolutely not.

    Since it actively protects every nut job conspiracy theorist, knuckle dragging bigot and pieces of human filth from the sort of derision they would face were they to spew their idiocy in public, it tends to attract more than its share of nut jobs, bigots and human filth. Of the rest of us, this is still a sampling non-reflective of society at large because we are more zealous about politics to begin with. THis isn't a random sampling, but a sampling based upon degree of interest.



    I am just going to say that from my experience, overall the people who post on the Debate Politics forum are pretty good people.

    There are far fewer wackos here than you find on other sites.

    That's my impression, and I've spent a fair amount of time on other web-sites.

  10. #10
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Yes?
    No?

    I'm going to purposely leave out a "Maybe" option. For this question I think people should be able to make a choice one way or another.

    In some ways it would seem so. We have the whole gamut of ideologies, genders, orientations, ethnicities, and so on. But, I would say 'no' for the simple reason that the vast majority of people here are here because they care deeply about social and/or political issues. Deeply enough to actually discuss them. The majority of average society does not care that deeply, and is seemingly perfectly fine with hiding their collective heads in the sand and willfully ignoring issues that affect them directly. They are fine with letting others make critical decisions for them.

    I believe that we here at DP are in the minority.



    Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

    My life experience is that most people on this planet are good people who would rather help other people than hurt them.

    But there is a sizable minority that doesn't think that way and they make a lot of problems for the good people.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •