View Poll Results: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

Voters
73. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 6.85%
  • No

    68 93.15%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 88

Thread: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

  1. #51
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:08 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,432

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by Phys251 View Post
    One of DP's single greatest weaknesses is this: To a great extent you are allowed to belittle women, people of color, LGBTs, etc. But the minute you call someone out for their racism, sexism, or homophobia, you receive swift and severe consequences.
    Comments regarding gender, ethnicity/color, orientation, etc., address tangible specifics, and as such may (or may not) be legitimate, and people who are particularly hyper-sensitive to these issues may misconstrue them as "belittling".

    Comments regarding *-ism, *-phobia, etc., are individual opinions, based on little more than emotion regarding the topic and are less likely to be contributing to the discussion.

    Regardless, even illegitimate comments regarding said "tangible specifics" can be articulated without resorting to emotional hyperbole and character attacks.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    I'm a Jedi Master, Yo

    CaptainCourtesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    152,781

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    No. People who post here tend to be more passionate than the average person... probably why they post here. Now passion can take many forms. Crazy is certainly one of them.
    "Never fear. Him is here" - Captain Chaos (Dom DeLuise), Cannonball Run

    ====||:-D

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    This is what I hate about politics the most, it turns people in snobbish egotistical self righteous dicks who allow their political beliefs, partisan attitudes, and 'us vs. them' mentality, to force them to deny reality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Navy Pride View Post
    You can't paint everone with the same brush.......It does not work tht way.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wessexman View Post
    See with you around Captain we don't even have to make arguments, as you already know everything .
    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Had you been born elsewhere or at a different time you may very well have chosen a different belief system.
    Quote Originally Posted by ernst barkmann View Post
    It a person has faith they dont need to convince another of it, and when a non believer is not interested in listening to the word of the lord, " you shake the dust from your sandels and move on"

  3. #53
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    I have no idea.

  4. #54
    Almost respectable

    Cardinal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    35,055

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Yes?
    No?

    I'm going to purposely leave out a "Maybe" option. For this question I think people should be able to make a choice one way or another.

    In some ways it would seem so. We have the whole gamut of ideologies, genders, orientations, ethnicities, and so on. But, I would say 'no' for the simple reason that the vast majority of people here are here because they care deeply about social and/or political issues. Deeply enough to actually discuss them. The majority of average society does not care that deeply, and is seemingly perfectly fine with hiding their collective heads in the sand and willfully ignoring issues that affect them directly. They are fine with letting others make critical decisions for them.

    I believe that we here at DP are in the minority.
    Just so I'm sure, your question of whether we're representative of the country pertains to political awareness and participation?

  5. #55
    User theaterofdreams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    63

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    I feel like the people on DP represent a more fringe demographic of society, myself included. I mean, the average person doesn't post on a political forum every day

  6. #56
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieD View Post
    You make a good point about why you believe DP is not a fair cross-section of society as a whole. My thoughts are the same but for a different reason: Most people don't post on internet forums. Those who do probably fall into one of just a few categories: unemployed; retired; in school. Very few posters (I don't THINK) are working stiffs.
    I work long hours. Of course, a lot of it online.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Where I am now
    Last Seen
    09-11-17 @ 03:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,386

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    With respect to the OP author (because I generally like the idea for the OP), it's an impossible question to properly answer.

    One would have to personally know the majority of society to know what they think and feel and desire to know whether this particular 'chat' forum was representative of society 'overall'.

    Since no one here (I assume) has that knowledge...then no one here can accurately answer the question.

  8. #58
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,304

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Hmmmmm ... I don't think DP could reflect society unless we had an Obama-like character leading us ...
    you know ...
    someone with a pen and a phone like Obama.

    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?-captain-kangaroo-jpg

  9. #59
    I'm kind of a big deal

    AGENT J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,827

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Yes?
    No?

    I'm going to purposely leave out a "Maybe" option. For this question I think people should be able to make a choice one way or another.

    In some ways it would seem so. We have the whole gamut of ideologies, genders, orientations, ethnicities, and so on. But, I would say 'no' for the simple reason that the vast majority of people here are here because they care deeply about social and/or political issues. Deeply enough to actually discuss them. The majority of average society does not care that deeply, and is seemingly perfectly fine with hiding their collective heads in the sand and willfully ignoring issues that affect them directly. They are fine with letting others make critical decisions for them.

    I believe that we here at DP are in the minority.
    well that would depend.

    I voted know because you didn't give any criteria.

    among people i actually talk issues with DP is an EXCELLENT representation IMO. If im comparing real life people to the respected, honest and objective posters here NOT the trolls and SUPER extremists.

    I only know about 2 conservative extremists and 1 lib extremist in real life and im talking just the normal level extremists. DIe hard fox fan or die hard MSNBC fan that believe those news orgs are honest lol

    I dont know any religious extremist like the ones here even in the multiple churches ive been too and can say i honestly know the people not just acquaintances.
    I dont know any nutball super extremist like the ones here against equal rights for gays or abortion (and mind what i said, i know people that think its wrong, im talking the nutballs)
    I dont know any anti-gun super extremists like the ones i see here



    If they exist in the real world they must hide it out of embarrassment.

    Then there are simply the people that dont know or done care about the issues discussed here
    This space is currently owned by The Great Winchester, stay tuned for future messages!
    Make America Great Again!
    Pro-Equal Rights / Pro-Gun Rights / Pro-Human Rights / Pro-Choice

  10. #60
    Guru
    the_recruit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,178

    Re: Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Is Debate Politics a good and fair representation of society overall?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •