View Poll Results: Is religious freedom actually possible?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    31 57.41%
  • No

    15 27.78%
  • Maybe

    6 11.11%
  • I didnt bother reading the post so yes

    0 0%
  • I didn't bother reading the post so no

    2 3.70%
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 155

Thread: Is religious freedom actually possible

  1. #51
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,263

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikari View Post
    You can in fact maintain that belief. No one is going to force your mind different. You do not have to like homosexuality, you do not have to accept it, you can preach against it all you want. It's stupid and dishonest to claim otherwise.
    My point is the OP is being hypocritical from the start. Nevertheless, this thread was about gay rights, not religious rights. I typically try to stay out of the gay rights threads, exist when someone tries to mask it under something like religion.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  2. #52
    Global Moderator
    The Hammer of Chaos
    Goshin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Dixie
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    44,157

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Bingo! Same, same me. Many people are that way as well. It seems pretty simple to me. Why others can't live that way is a mystery.


    I dunno, but for some reason there are people out there who mind everyone ELSE's business but their own... and they make very unpleasant neighbors...

    Fiddling While Rome Burns
    ISIS: Carthago Delenda Est
    "I used to roll the dice; see the fear in my enemies' eyes... listen as the crowd would sing, 'now the old king is dead, Long Live the King.'.."

  3. #53
    Sage
    Perotista's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    17,923
    Blog Entries
    24

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    You beat me to it, my friend. I have never heard of a Buddhist tradition that does not accept gay people. Sexual orientation doesn't matter, and it shouldn't. It has nothing to do with Buddhism.
    Exactly, people assume and stereotype. What is important is the four noble truths and the 8 fold path. Buddhism is all inclusive which includes respect for all other religions. "He becomes a monk in all the different religions of the world so that he might free others from delusion and save them from falling into false views." Vimalakirti Sutra 8. In other words it does not matter what religion one is or believes, as one enters deeply into other religions, devoting his life to helping other through the means of those religions. What matters is being compassionate and not clinging to the idea that we alone know the truth.
    This Reform Party member thinks it is high past time that we start electing Americans to congress and the presidency who put America first and their political party further down the line. But for way too long we have been electing Republicans and Democrats who happen to be Americans instead of Americans who happen to be Republicans and Democrats.

  4. #54
    Sage
    Lursa's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Outside Seattle
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,736

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Obviously not, because those who believe homosexuality is a sin, cannot be allowed to maintain that belief. You really could have just answered your own question without help. All other beliefs become irrelevant because you have disallowed the belief against homosexuality, thus perfect religious freedom is impossible.

    /thread
    "Belief" in homosexuality? They believe it exists, they just believe it's a sin. There is lots of sin and they know it's all around them. It's up to them how they conduct themselves...at least in Christianity, God gave us all free will. AND told us very clearly that he is the ONLY judge.

    They dont think homosexuality will disappear if they have freedom of religion.....@_@ They would probably have the right to persecute gays if they had the religious freedom they want tho...that is what I was trying to clarify in my posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have felt pain when I was in the womb. So when you say they are incapable of feeling pain, that is based on junk science.
    Quote Originally Posted by applejuicefool View Post
    A murderer putting a bullet through someone's brain is a medical procedure too.

  5. #55
    Imposition of miscellany
    NoC_T's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    11-25-17 @ 04:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,193

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
    I dunno, but for some reason there are people out there who mind everyone ELSE's business but their own... and they make very unpleasant neighbors...
    That's what physical violence is for.

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by American View Post
    Obviously not, because those who believe homosexuality is a sin, cannot be allowed to maintain that belief. You really could have just answered your own question without help. All other beliefs become irrelevant because you have disallowed the belief against homosexuality, thus perfect religious freedom is impossible.

    /thread
    People are free to believe whatever they want and to express their opinions. It is only certain actions that are prohibited such as illegal discrimination or expressing discriminatory opinions while working and representing one's employer.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Health insurance is not a right nor is birth control. Comparing human sacrifice to not providing someone a service is idiotic.
    If the government mandates employer provider insurance, then it becomes a right for all employees of businesses covered by the mandate. The employer's opinion is irrelevant, whether it is a corporation or a branch of a religious organization, unless it is a position that requires the employee to model and represent the employer's philosophy. For example it is OK for Catholic Charities to deny insurance coverage for birth control for priests and nuns, but it is not acceptable for the organization to deny deny insurance coverage for birth control for the janitor who may not be Catholic.

    Another example, if someone is a lobbyist for a political group it is reasonable for the group to require that the lobbyist hold political views compatible with the group. It is not reasonable for the group to refuse to hire someone with contrary views if their job is to do the books (accounting).
    Last edited by Hard Truth; 02-11-14 at 10:52 PM.

  8. #58
    Tavern Bartender
    Constitutionalist
    American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:17 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    76,263

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Lursa View Post
    "Belief" in homosexuality? They believe it exists, they just believe it's a sin. There is lots of sin and they know it's all around them. It's up to them how they conduct themselves...at least in Christianity, God gave us all free will. AND told us very clearly that he is the ONLY judge.

    They dont think homosexuality will disappear if they have freedom of religion.....@_@ They would probably have the right to persecute gays if they had the religious freedom they want tho...that is what I was trying to clarify in my posts.
    You don't know that.
    "He who does not think himself worth saving from poverty and ignorance by his own efforts, will hardly be thought worth the efforts of anybody else." -- Frederick Douglass, Self-Made Men (1872)
    "Fly-over" country voted, and The Donald is now POTUS.

  9. #59
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post


    Classic Conservative Persecution Complex.

    Far Right Wing Christians are slowly be disallowed from using their political power to deny gays rights.

    "WE'RE BEING OPPRESSED"

    So what do you say to those christian tea partiers that wanted to stop Muslims from building a Mosque?
    Classic example of the logical fallacy of hasty generalization.

    Any links to peer reviewed studies that came to those conclusions?

  10. #60
    Guru

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    05-31-17 @ 01:40 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,050

    Re: Is religious freedom actually possible

    Quote Originally Posted by brothern View Post
    If "religious freedom" conflicts with basic human rights - no, it's not possible.
    I don't think that is the problem. The problems seems to be that some seem to want more than just rights, they want societal approval, even from people who would be opposed. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 18, says it best:
    "Everyone has the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion; this right includes freedom to change his religion or belief, and freedom, either alone or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in teaching, practice, worship and observance."

    That seems to allow an intolerant view toward others as long as you are not interfering with others. And the others have to be tolerant to you as long as they don't interfere with you. A person is allowed to hate me and not serve me or sell to me. I have to go elsewhere. It would be intolerant if I insisted that he conform to my reality and views.
    What are "basic human rights"? Is it logical that simply because I have a business I surrender my freedom of thought and conscience? The person can simply go to someone else. It is illogical to demand that I do something simply because I started something that I did not have to start. A person does not become a slave to some "societal standards" simply because he wants to sell a product. It is wrong to force people to do commerce with each other.
    Last edited by Eric7216; 02-11-14 at 11:10 PM. Reason: misspelling

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •