View Poll Results: Do You like this version of "America The Beautiful?"

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 57.48%
  • No

    38 29.92%
  • Other

    16 12.60%
Page 86 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 1048

Thread: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

  1. #851
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,486

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Yes and data was provided here that indicates there are cities where 10% of the population does not know english. So what is your point?
    My point was that there does appear to be people posting on this thread who assumed that because the Americans singing in the advert did so in languages other than English, they must be incapable of speaking English. Alternatively, they were dragging a thread about bi-lingual Americans using their non-English language in some situations off-topic and on to immigrants who can't speak English at all. A valid discussion in itself but a couple of steps off-topic in this thread.

  2. #852
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    [QUOTE=HonestJoe;1062891693]My point was that there does appear to be people posting on this thread who assumed that because the Americans singing in the advert did so in languages other than English, they must be incapable of speaking English.[quote]

    Where?

  3. #853
    Student alsos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Last Seen
    03-01-14 @ 11:01 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    263

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Painter View Post
    Sure, I'm comfortable with that.
    I'm also comfortable shooting you in the head once I come home to find you as an intruder.
    I see... When it's YOUR property it should be protected; with lethal force. When it's American property................ not so much.

  4. #854
    Guru
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Last Seen
    01-15-15 @ 03:36 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    2,578

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Past immigration waves actually faced pressures to assimilate. For example, the state did not make provisions to accommodate non-English speakers until quite recently. And the fact that new immigrant waves are less diverse than previous ones (Mexicans represent 30% of new immigrants) makes clustering more likely, which hinders cultural, linguistic, and economic integration for obvious reasons
    Actually that is not true. Using the vernacular of the neighborhood goes back to the early waves of immigration in the late 1800s and early 1900s. You can see the artifacts of that in museums all over the country.



    No one suggested they were. Types of immigration were suggested as putting negative pressures on people and societies
    What is negative?



    You're appealing to tradition here. Economic situations change. We no longer have a need for a bunch of immigrants to fill manufacturing jobs
    That is true, but immigrants will not flood here if there are no jobs Immigration crack downs have caused labor shortages in some southern states.

  5. #855
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,486

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    Where?
    A couple of examples just from the first page, meaning they were in direct response to the OP rather than off-topic posts (and because I'm not trawling through 80-odd pages ). Of course, if you disagree there is always my alternative suggestion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    If a nation's citizens need one thing in common in order to function effectively, it tends to be a language they can all speak and mutually understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDemocrat View Post
    When someone comes here they may not speak English well yet, but the American ideal is still important to them. Maybe that is what they were going for.

  6. #856
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    Actually that is not true. Using the vernacular of the neighborhood goes back to the early waves of immigration in the late 1800s and early 1900s. You can see the artifacts of that in museums all over the country.
    My above remarks simply don't deal with ethnic neighborhoods. It deals with the fact that there are less pressures on these communities to adopt English, due to the fact that such neighborhoods would be more pervasive and that the state is now catering to their language needs

    What is negative?
    Some of the things that have been mentioned in this thread are higher poverty rates than in the past, lower education rates, more difficulty in assimilating


    That is true, but immigrants will not flood here if there are no jobs Immigration crack downs have caused labor shortages in some southern states.
    In what sectors?

  7. #857
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    A couple of examples just from the first page, meaning they were in direct response to the OP rather than off-topic posts (and because I'm not trawling through 80-odd pages ). Of course, if you disagree there is always my alternative suggestion.
    You're citing comments from a general discussion on immigration inspired by the commercial, and none of those remarks stem from the fact the writer assumed the person performing the song couldn't speak English

  8. #858
    dangerously addictive
    americanwoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    17,408

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    47% of Latinos do not believe that they are a part of the "typical" (i.e. "mainstream") American culture.

    Hey why did you leave the ones that do:

    And just one-in-five (21%) say they use the term “American” most often to describe their identity. On these two measures, U.S.-born Hispanics (who now make up 48% of Hispanic adults in the country) express a stronger sense of affinity with other Americans and America than do immigrant Hispanics.The survey finds that, regardless of where they were born, large majorities of Latinos say that life in the U.S. is better than in their family’s country of origin. Also, nearly nine-in-ten (87%) say it is important for immigrant Hispanics to learn English in order to succeed in the U.S.

    So the majority, according to your source, say it's very important to learn English and the majority of US born Hispanics do relate to Americans more. What's the problem again?



    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88
    Again, first (and even second) generation immigrants really can't be said to be from "native" American cultural groups either.

    aw so I'm not part of your native American culture club now? I guess I better change my name to 'notreallyamericanwoman'
    I call my own shots, largely based on an accumulation of data, and everyone knows it.
    _____________________________________________

  9. #859
    Guru

    HonestJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    3,486

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    You're citing comments from a general discussion on immigration inspired by the commercial, and none of those remarks stem from the fact the writer assumed the person performing the song couldn't speak English
    So the thread was dragged off-topic then - immigrants incapable of speaking English have nothing to do with the Americans who can speak English (better than some "real" Americans) but sung in the advert in other languages. I think it's important to make the distinction clear.

  10. #860
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by HonestJoe View Post
    So the thread was dragged off-topic then
    No, people are having a discussion

    immigrants incapable of speaking English have nothing to do with the Americans who can speak English (better than some "real" Americans) but sung in the advert in other languages. I think it's important to make the distinction clear.
    I think you are just upset people are discussing things you don't like and want to play thread police

Page 86 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •