View Poll Results: Do You like this version of "America The Beautiful?"

Voters
127. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    73 57.48%
  • No

    38 29.92%
  • Other

    16 12.60%
Page 83 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast
Results 821 to 830 of 1048

Thread: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

  1. #821
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    There's one thing that I do know. And as time goes by the more I know...the more I know that I don't know.

    BUT: You and I and most everybody else...completely powerless in this matter. The world is gonna live until it dies...just like the rest of us. The consequences of humanity's wild and crazy doings...will create whatever challenges all the following generations may be faced with. They'll deal and cope with those challenges or they won't. It's just evolutionary growing pains. When everything hurts hard enough ...long enough, maybe humanity will get their act together...whatever that is.
    True. In my defense, however; I would point out that my original reason for posting in this thread revolved simply around expressing my opposition to the ideological message put forward by the Coca-Cola commercial in the OP.

    That is something I actually can have some degree of control over.

    The same goes for immigration policy.

  2. #822
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,512

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    No, govt has a pretty big influence over immigration policy
    Sorry, Chuck...you missed the thingamabob of what Mr. Thomas and I were yackin about. But thanks for your input anyway. It's always appreciated.

  3. #823
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,512

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    True. In my defense, however; I would point out that my original reason for posting in this thread revolved simply around expressing my opposition to the ideological message put forward by the Coca-Cola commercial in the OP.

    That is something I actually can have some degree of control over.

    The same goes for immigration policy.
    Bageebus, Mr. Thomas! Did you recently become Emperor of the U.S.? I had no idea you have that kind of power.

    Well, I've voiced my personal opinion about multiculturalism in the U.S. early in this thread I believe that..."it can't work". But that's neither here or there. What I think..and the bottom line value of what I think - wouldn't cover the bottom of a 5 cent candy bag.

    But you da man with the power. So tear'em up.

  4. #824
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Sababa View Post
    What I don't understand is why people think that just because you use another language in life that you don't know English. Why is it that singing this song in different languages is some how a problem for anyone? The commercial showed what America looks like in the vast majority of the communities in this country, what is wrong with that?

    What does any of that have to do with Coca Cola?

  5. #825
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,568
    Blog Entries
    2

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Removable Mind View Post
    Bageebus, Mr. Thomas! Did you recently become Emperor of the U.S.? I had no idea you have that kind of power.

    Well, I've voiced my personal opinion about multiculturalism in the U.S. early in this thread I believe that..."it can't work". But that's neither here or there. What I think..and the bottom line value of what I think - wouldn't cover the bottom of a 5 cent candy bag.

    But you da man with the power. So tear'em up.
    I think what he meant is he can decide to not buy Coca Cola products.

    Personally I think companies engaging in political statements is a mistake. Of a more obvious example are businesses that will put political candidates' signs in their window. If I don't support that candidate I won't shop there as my business indirectly supports that candidate. Another example is I won't stop at a Cracker Barrel after they threw piles of money into Republican Gerrymandering years ago.

    I'm surprised some company hasn't gone partisan in their ads - figuring they might get 40% of the market given how strong partisan loyalties are.

  6. #826
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Gathomas88 View Post
    Eh. As I said before, in the long run, it might not even be all that bad a thing if the current "white culture" dies out or diminishes to the point of irrelevancy. It's kind of a train wreck, in case you haven't noticed, and the Latino community actually does tend to carry some cultural values that I'm rather fond of (Catholicism, family, the value of hard work, etca).
    Have you checked out the rates for single-parenthood among Latino's in the U.S.? Or rates of dependency on government subsidies? The idea of the "naturally conservative" hispanic immigrants is largely a myth, dude.

  7. #827
    Irremovable Intelligence
    Removable Mind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:56 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    23,512

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    I think what he meant is he can decide to not buy Coca Cola products.

    Personally I think companies engaging in political statements is a mistake. Of a more obvious example are businesses that will put political candidates' signs in their window. If I don't support that candidate I won't shop there as my business indirectly supports that candidate. Another example is I won't stop at a Cracker Barrel after they threw piles of money into Republican Gerrymandering years ago.

    As I said, we are all pretty powerless to do much of anything. We've created a monster of a gov that we can't get rid of.

    I'm surprised some company hasn't gone partisan in their ads - figuring they might get 40% of the market given how strong partisan loyalties are.
    Yeah...Mr. Thomas can boycott Coke all he wants and it will go on just like the crazy people running our government.

    Religion has gone all out "big time" in making political statements. Corporations might as well jump in the band wagon.

    And besides, Joko, if I can't mess with Mr. Thomas just a little bit each time I come into DP...my time spent is a total loss. Plus he feels better for it too. I need to frequently encourage him to get busy finding a gal and making babies. He may be America's last hope.

  8. #828
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    now only if you made sense or had something of worth to add we could have an interesting discussion. But, alas, simply braying accusations of bigotry seems so trite and uninteresting
    now, if only I cared at all about your opinion
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
    "There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow men. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self" -Hemingway

  9. #829
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-02-16 @ 01:15 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    28,659

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Have you checked out the rates for single-parenthood among Latino's in the U.S.? Or rates of dependency on government subsidies? The idea of the "naturally conservative" hispanic immigrants is largely a myth, dude.
    True, but a lot of that has to do with the company they keep (as you said, cultural isolation and intermingling with the United States' other minority populations can have an impact in this regard), and their lower income status.

    Latin American nations do tend to score a bit better with regard to divorce rates than the US or Western World in general, however; and many of them score better with regard to single motherhood as well. They do also tend to be more religious across the board.
    Last edited by Gathomas88; 02-06-14 at 10:38 PM.

  10. #830
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    re: Your opinion on Coke's version of America The Beautiful? [W:1014]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I already cited figures earlier, which you seem to have a habit of ignoring

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/...post1062885219
    Your figures are about college graduation rates and pay, not the cultural assimilation that we were talking about (a point you are ignoring)
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 83 of 105 FirstFirst ... 3373818283848593 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •